cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HowTo make Task "Copy to New User"

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all

I'd like to implement an UI task "Copy existing user to new user" but I have no idea how this can be done using the MMC.

It should behave similar as the SU01 or UME copy-user tasks, I think everybody has used them before.

Any help or hint is appreciated.

BR

Michael

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael

Maybe with a ToIdentityStore pass.

In the job in the UI you give a field "NEW_ID".

Then you do the To Pass like this

MSKEYVALUE %NEW_ID%

MX_FIRSTNAME %MX_FIRSTNAME%

MXREF_MX_PRIVILEGE %MX_REF_PRIVILEGE%

(and so on)

changetype add

So you copy all selected fields to a new user with the new ID:

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply.

But I think you misunderstood (or I didn't explain correctly).

I think of a procedure like the following:

In WebUI go to Manage Tab, search for a user, highlight the entry, choose task "Copy to new user" and be presented with an popup where all attribute fields are pre-filled with the attributes from the selected MX_PERSON, but maybe with an empty mandatory MSKEYVALUE field.

So I would be able to create a user based on another user and only change MSKEYVALUE, Displayname, Firstname, Lastname, Email (same as if I choose "Copy user" in SU01). Privileges & Roles & Company assignment will remain untouched.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hallo Michael,

i wouldnt recommend to implement a task to "copy a user" because you might copy too many or unwanted privileges.

But if you have to, i would make a WET "new user (copy)" that creates new entries (MX_PERSON). That task would have MSKEYVALUE, Firstname, Lastname etc as mandatory fields. I would use that task to create the target user.

And i would create a new reference attribute and assign that to MX_Person. That field would also be mandatory in our WET. Here you select the source user.

Then you can add a task to read the privileges (and other attributes) from the referenced source user and assign them to the new user.

Best regards,

Thomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas

This is a very good solution, very practicable and easy to implement.

However, the danger exists that too many privileges etc. are copied that way, especially because I cannot see what will be copied.

It must be possible to see the attributes that will be copied BEFORE I press the OK button - comparable to SU01.

As soon as I got the time I'll try to test some solutions.

Thanks so far.

Any input is still appreciated.

BR

Michael

former_member283791
Participant
0 Kudos

"what rights does the new guy need?" "Same as mine"

This is a situation I come accross close to everytime someone new starts, be it internally and related to our testing systems or be it at the customer. Am I the only one?

In any case on topic: I wanted to pull this one back to the top of the list because I'm wondering if anyone came up with an acceptable solution yet. Or does anyone know if this will be easier in upcomming releases of IdM?

The only solution I have for now is a very crude system where some values of one user get copied to another user but it's no where close to as refined and secure as it should be.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Task is contained in RDS-package for IdM:

http://scn.sap.com/community/netweaver-idm/blog/2012/08/13/new-rds--sap-netweaver-identity-managemen...

Hopefully this basic functionality will be available in the standard shipment soon.