Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reducing number of analysis authorisations

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

I am currently working on BI Security implementation project. We have an hierarchy kind of setup.

The hierarchy as follows:- Business Unit>Area>Sector>Segment>Function. There are thousands and thousands of functions in the system.We have a characteristic for function which has been marked as auth relevant.And the security has been setup around this characteristc.

The business requirement is to have restriction on queries and the function level. We have proposed a solution to create analysis authorisations and restricting at the function level.But this leads upto creation many analysis authrorisations in the system.

Can you propose any other way of implementing the security? Your inputs are highly appreciated.

In anticipation of your reply. Thanks in advance.

Best Regds,

Suyog..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you are facing creating thousands of analysis auths then how about using variables to populate the correct auths at runtime?

You have to get and store the data somewhere, it may be that you have an existing structure that can provide this. For example, you could extract relevant auth data for users from R/3 and use that to populate the variables. This particular scenario may not be suitable in your situation but it illustrates what you can potentially do.

6 REPLIES 6

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you are facing creating thousands of analysis auths then how about using variables to populate the correct auths at runtime?

You have to get and store the data somewhere, it may be that you have an existing structure that can provide this. For example, you could extract relevant auth data for users from R/3 and use that to populate the variables. This particular scenario may not be suitable in your situation but it illustrates what you can potentially do.

0 Kudos

Hello Alex/Experts,

Thanks for your prompt inputs. Can you please elaborate a bit more on the solution that you have provided. How will I create variables to populate the correct auths at runtime? And will this result into reduced number of analysis authorisations.

Even if we create a variable we will have to restrict the same based on the possible values and will have to create necessary number of analysis authorisations.

In my scenario, we have a characteristic corresponding to function (the characteristc which we are planning to have restrictions on).

In an hierarchy type scenario is there any way to reduce the number of analysis authorisations or any other approach to implement security.

P.S:- We have an hierarchy as Business unit>Business Area> Sector>Segment>Function and the requirement to is to restrict the queries at the function id level.

Also wanted to know if there is any way other than creating analysis authorisations corresponding to function id?

In anticipation of your reply. Thanks in advance.

Best Regds,

Suyog...

0 Kudos

Hi Suyog,

Have a look here for info on variables: http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/Helpdata/EN/6d/58f438114ee836e10000000a114084/frameset.htm

Also speak to your BW team , they will be able to help you

>

> Also wanted to know if there is any way other than creating analysis authorisations corresponding to function id?

I have already provided you some info to get started on this.

Former Member
0 Kudos

> There are thousands and thousands of functions in the system.

Have you tried an analysis yet of how many could be merged and whether the function within the segment is really usefull? How many functions does a typical user have analysis authorizations for? (I assume you are using the new concept?)

If you have a usable naming / numbering convention then you could additionally consider ranging the analysis authorizations.

If you don't have a reliable variable to work with, then there is the option of generating them from (foreign) data sources which you can build yourself. You might have a lot of analysis authorizations but if the user's query doesn't really need to use them, then I would avoid it.

Generally, I would try to simplify the concept or automate the administration.

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

Thank you all for your responses, we have shifted from an hierarchy security approach to customer exit variable approach.

0 Kudos

Thank you all for your responses, we have shifted from an hierarchy security approach to customer exit variable approach.