cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Record mode and Hierarchy mode

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I read that sap material that the recored mode can be used to search and edit records of any main or subtable.

The record mode cannot be used 2 edit or create relationships.

On the contrary, hierarchy mode can be used to create relationships among records.(sibling / parent and child)

I have noticed that on the record mode, when there is one record selected, there is one fiels called relationship.

When i click on the relationship field , a relationship popus window opens and I am able to add and view relationship.

What is the exact diff between adding the relationship in record mode and in hierarchy mode ?

Thanks,

Vignesh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Your first observation is correct.

Regarding the second one:

- If you select in Record Mode the Hierarchy table, you will see it in its flat state. Therefore, you are still able to add/ delete nodes but you will not be able to structure the parent child/ sibling hierarchical relationships.

-If you select in Record Mode the Main table, then you are able to either associate a main table record with a node of the hierarchy or modify the relationship field which are relatioships between the main table records themselves (usually).

Regards,

Hedda Cohen.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Actually your sentence "The record mode cannot be used 2 edit or create relationships." is only partially correct and this is the source of confusion.

The relationship defintion is done in the MDM console (the relationship type- parent/ child or sibling, the realted tables, required and so forth). However, the actual relationship modification and data entry is done in MDM Data Manager, in record mode. Your observation that you are able to double click from Record Mode on the Relationship field and modify it is correct.

In Hierarchy mode you can modify and enter the data for the Hierarchy lookup Table.

The difference is therefore that the Hierarchy Mode is used to define the hierarchical structure of a Lookup Hierarchy table. The Relationships are intended to define the relationships of the main table records.

Regards,

Hedda Cohen

Former Member
0 Kudos

So can i say this?

In the hierarchy, i will be able to change the structure of the hierarchy tables.

Eg: Add nodes , delete nodes etc .. The node can be arranged in a sibling or parent/child relationship.

In the record mode, i will not be able to change the structure of the hierarchy tables such as add nodes but i will able to relate records accoring to the sibling and parent/child relationship. i.e set the substitites , related items and so on ..