cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDOC or Proxy

Former Member
0 Kudos

R/3 to XI to Vendors

We are going to send atleast 40K documents every day from our R/3 systems to our Vendors. We are on Web 6.40, R/3 4.7c. XI 3.0 , SP 14.

In the above case should I need to go for Proxy on the R/3 side, because we are dealing with high volume of documents or should I go with IDOC communication channel? (No need to configure Sender IDOC). What are all the Pluses and Minuses?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

moorthy
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rohini,

1) If there is no Idoc exists i.e standard then you can go for Proxy interface.

Because, in this proxy configuration, there is little more ABAP development involved..

Proxies communicate with the XI server by means of native SOAP calls over HTTP . But Idoc adapter requires , idoc xml conversion. anyway taken care by Idoc adapter. In sender side it is implicit

ABAP Proxies uses Webservice and Http Protocols.

If you use ABAP Proxy , you can reduce the overhead calling the function again and again..

About Idoc, you need to port maintenance,logical system Metadata maintenance etc. But even in proxy also, you need to create RFC destinations.

And one more thing, if you want send package of idocs, then you need to use BPM etc in the XI.. But if you use Proxy, you can directly put entire data as one message into XI..

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Moorthy

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are using the Custom IDOC.

I have never used a PROXY Before. Now if I want to develop an Sender IDOC using Proxy , what exactly I have to do on the R/3 Side as well as on the XI Side?

Thansk

moorthy
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you have already Idoc , then do not go for Proxy...

If you are going to create an Idoc for specific functionality , then you can think for proxy creation.

<i>to develop an Sender IDOC using Proxy</i>

>>What is this??? There are 3 ways to communicate with Xi from R/3

1) Idoc

2) RFC

3) Proxy

Inorder to create an Proxy i.e R/3 to XI, it is called as Client proxy.

first need to create Http destination in XI.

I think this blog will help you..

/people/vijaya.kumari2/blog/2006/01/26/how-do-you-activate-abap-proxies

/people/ravikumar.allampallam/blog/2005/03/14/abap-proxies-in-xiclient-proxy

I remember, you have this..

Regards,

Moorthy

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi,

if you want to use IDOC you'll still have to

create sender agreement (from sp16)

but of course as mentioned use the IDOC

if you already have one

Regards,

michal

-

<a href="/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2005/06/28/xipi-faq-frequently-asked-questions"><b>XI / PI FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions</b></a>

Former Member
0 Kudos

Krishna, I very well know that from R/3 I have 3 communication channels to talk to xi. But I have never done a PROXY before.

I will continue this thread after 1:00 PM. Its 10:00 AM from me now.

Thanks a lot.

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

but don't go for the proxy if you already have a custom idoc

proxies are easy (so don't be affraid but still no need to use them)

Regards,

michal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

1. If you are using IDocs reprocessing them in case of error is very easy.

2. In case of checking of business conditions in your system you might want to reject some data as it is incorrect. In case of proxy you will have to etither create a log file or some storage place for the errored data.

In case of Idoc just reject the IDoc and you can still get the data of the IDoc rejection very easily to send log files if required.

3. In case of huge amount of data even if XI passes this to Proxy of application system, you will have to check how much load can your system take as it's huge volume being transferred at one shot. (this is system dependent. If your system is able to handle this then no probs)

Hope this helps.

Regards

Vijaya

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Michal,

Thanks for your Boosting Words about Proxy. Since date, I have not developed a proxy thats where I am confused. I dont know the Starting point.

File to XI to R/3(RFC to XI to File 2.

IF my RFC is go to add the two numbers, that I am receiving from File1 and the result goes to File2.

If I want to execute the above Process in a PROXY what Exactly I NEED to.

Appreciate your help.