cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steps for a XI scenario file on portal server to ECC table.

former_member248450
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Experts-

I am trying to populate a R/3 table with data from a text file on portal server (AIX). Can any one please give provide with a high level steps on how I can acheive this.

How can I make XI look for file on Unix system?

Do I need to create A RFC which accepts input and stores it to the table for this?

What kind of properties should the table have?

Thanks,

Raj.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member187339
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi raj,

>>How can I make XI look for file on Unix system?

Two approaches can be used here.

1. Go for file adapter and use NFS mode (if Portal and PI are in same network) or FTP mode. Provide the path (you can check with the basis team for this)

2. Upload the file through a portal iview and then send it to PI. IF this case is followed you need to use SOAP sender adapter (there are blogs/wiki pages on this available in sdn)

>>Do I need to create A RFC which accepts input and stores it to the table for this?

If it is customized table then you may need to write a Z RFC

>>What kind of properties should the table have?

Nothing specific, you can created a normal standard ABAP table

Regards

Suraj

former_member248450
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Portal and PI are on same network.

The log files are written to the kmc_activity.txt file, which is stored in: /usr/sap/<System-ID>/JC<xx>/j2ee/cluster/server<n>/defaultDirectoryName/

I am new to Xi development. Can you be little in detail on NFS mode and how to use file adapter. It would great if you can point me to a good document.

I dont have access to that location on AIX system. Is there a need to create a shared location ?

former_member187339
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Raj,

IF you want to know about file adapter and NFS mode check this link

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/e3/94007075cae04f930cc4c034e411e1/frameset.htm

also there are lot of materials in SDN on file adapter and its mode.

>>dont have access to that location on AIX system. Is there a need to create a shared location ?

Since both Portal and PI are in same network they can access folders of Portal using NFS mode. But for that the corresponding folder in portal shoudl be shared. Please ask the basis team to do it then you can do a end to end testing of your interface

Regards

Suraj

former_member206760
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

after ur basis guy shares that folder.for testing what u can do is just ask the basis guy to take the remote access to the XI server and from there try to access the path mentioned ...if u are able to access it means that the sender file channel in the NFS mode will work as well

also u can try pinging the portel server from the XI server after the basis guy takes the remote..

Also be sure that XI only understands XML and the file taht u want XI to read is txt file so u will have to use a extra feature in the sender file channel called FCC or file content conversion ....forum is full of how to write FCC ..u can search

Edited by: Tarang Shah on Feb 3, 2010 9:35 PM

Edited by: Tarang Shah on Feb 3, 2010 9:36 PM

former_member248450
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Both portal and XI are on Sifferent server. But on same network.

>

> after ur basis guy shares that folder.for testing what u can do is just ask the basis guy to take the remote access to the XI server and from there try to access the path mentioned ...>

Can you please be detail on what you mean by take the remote access to the XI server?

In my case as XI and EP are on same network.

Should I give the source directory as /usr/sap/<System-ID>/JC<xx>/j2ee/cluster/server<n>/defaultDirectoryName/

former_member206760
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

select

sender on ur file channel....then select NFS as the transport protocol and FCC as message protocol

u can for eg specify the follwoing in the source direcotry

/usr/sap/T57/DVEBMGS19/work

and the source file name can be say 123.txt

as far as the remote desktop connection to XI is concerned basis guy can do it using RUN--->MSTSC command

Edited by: Tarang Shah on Feb 3, 2010 10:09 PM

former_member248450
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Tarang for your reply. I have one last doubt.

On Portal server. Each node has a activity file. What would be the best way to append these files so XI system can pickup and process it to Ztable.

former_member206760
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Raj,

As the server is unix , you can develop a shell script to append the files from all the folders into a single file and then transfer that file to the folder called say XI_input.

schedule the file channel of XI such that it will poll around at X hrs in the night from the folder XI_input and then that file in folder XI_archive.

former_member187339
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Raj,

>>On Portal server. Each node has a activity file. What would be the best way to append these files so XI system can pickup and process it to Ztable.

Let each node create a separate file and place it in the same folder, XI file adapter will pick it and update the table. Like this you dont have to write the logic for appending the file at portal end,

Regards

Suraj

former_member248450
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Tarang/Suraj-

I logged into SLD of XI. Technical Systems are defined for EP and R3 system. Do I need create any new ones or can I use the existing ones.

Also, Business system is created only for R/3 system. DO I need to create a Business system for EP?

Thanks,

Raj

Edited by: raj1234 on Feb 4, 2010 9:53 PM

Shabarish_Nair
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

DO I need to create a Business system for EP?

>

you can create a business service (business component in 7.1)

former_member187339
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Raj,

>>Technical Systems are defined for EP and R3 system. Do I need create any new ones or can I use the existing ones.

You can use the existing one..

>>Also, Business system is created only for R/3 system. DO I need to create a Business system for EP?

Since you have made the technical system, go ahead and make a business system for it.. Generally when you plan to read a file from EP system, we can either use a business service or a business system. Either way it is ok.

Regards

Suraj

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Shabarish_Nair
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> Hello Experts-

>

> I am trying to populate a R/3 table with data from a text file on portal server (AIX). Can any one please give provide with a high level steps on how I can acheive this.

>

> How can I make XI look for file on Unix system?

> Do I need to create A RFC which accepts input and stores it to the table for this?

> What kind of properties should the table have?

>

>

> Thanks,

> Raj.

To connect to AIX - cant you use the File adapter?

To populate the data to R3 - use Existing IDoc or RFC, else go for a ABAP proxy

in short its a FILE -> PI -> Proxy/IDoc/RFC scenario

former_member206760
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Raj,

I think u can open a FTP service on the unix server. Place the input txt file there.

then u can use sender file adapter of XI to read that file and u can use the RFC adapter on the reicver to call a particular ZRFC on the R3 .. now on the R3 inside the RFC u can wrtie the code to polpulate the Ztables that u need