cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System performance ECC 6.0 - Oracle 10.2.0.4

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

There are any person that know if a central installation production system work better in a x64 or SPARC Solaris 10 OS.

Example machines Sun M4000 and X4640.

Thank you.

Sisco

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

In reality I don't need the 25000 SAPs that provide the x4540 but my partner urge me to begin to use x64 platform for the advantege that offers (price, workload, etc...).

Change the platform suposses to me double the SAN disk space and recreate all the filesystem for the change from Big Endian to Little Endian Link: [Note 552464|https://websmp230.sap-ag.de/sap%28bD1lcyZjPTAwMQ==%29/bc/bsp/spn/sapnotes/index2.htm?numm=1310720], heterogeneous system copy, etc...

If I don't change the platform only I need configure OS becouse all the database and binares reside in the SAN.

I need make sure that the change are worth the trouble.

Note: Excuse me for my english, I believe that he's horrible.

Sisco

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> In reality I don't need the 25000 SAPs that provide the x4540 but my partner urge me to begin to use x64 platform for the advantege that offers (price, workload, etc...).

We use Solaris x64 for (mainly) Java installations on certified HP hardware, it works great.

> Change the platform suposses to me double the SAN disk space and recreate all the filesystem for the change from Big Endian to Little Endian Link: [Note 552464|https://websmp230.sap-ag.de/sap%28bD1lcyZjPTAwMQ==%29/bc/bsp/spn/sapnotes/index2.htm?numm=1310720], heterogeneous system copy, etc...

True.

> If I don't change the platform only I need configure OS becouse all the database and binares reside in the SAN.

That's also true - but you'll get more power - and this is only a one-time thing to do.

> I need make sure that the change are worth the trouble.

You can get a test/evaluation system from Sun for some weeks with your desired configuration - and try it out.

> Note: Excuse me for my english, I believe that he's horrible.

It's good, don't worry!

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

> You can get a test/evaluation system from Sun for some weeks with your desired configuration - and try it out.

This is true? I don't knew this option...

Do you know any link, by any chance, where I can request more information for get the test.

I'm not sure if here (in Andorra) could benefit from this advantege. We are too small. And my partern didn't mentioned this.

Thank you very much for your help.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

When I said "better" I meant in performance with, more or less, equal resources.

For example, this machines:

A Sun SPARC Enterprise M4000 with 2 CPUs SPARC64 VII: 2.4GHz Quad Core processors

A Sun SPARC Enterprise X4540 with 2 CPUs 2.3GHz Quad Core AMD Opteron 2356 (sorry, in my first post I was written the X4640)

According my partern, there is an enormous difference in "SAPs" betwen the first one (7000 SAPs approx.) and the second one (25000 SAPs approx.).

But I'm confused enough becouse in a SUN documentation ( http://www.sun.com/third-party/global/sap/solutions/SunSAPUpgrades.pdf ) advise to use SPARC processors for a database and x64 procesors for application.

In my case, with a central installation, I'm not sure to choose a M4000 with more processors for increase the SAPs numbers or choose a x4540.

Thank for your help.

Sisco

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> In my case, with a central installation, I'm not sure to choose a M4000 with more processors for increase the SAPs numbers or choose a x4540.

I understand your confusion.

I'd also compare the price if you try to get the same SAPS on the M4000.

Markus

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What is "better" in your understanding?

Both platforms have advantages and disadvantages.

You can compare benchmarks at http://www.sap.com/benchmark

Markus