Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation doubts on Linux platform

joo_migueldimas
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello gurus,

Before I start my questions / doubts I´ve to say that I want to install a sap system ECC6 SR3 Unicode on Redhat Enterprise Linux (EL) 4 or 5 (I don´t know yet) and the database maybe will be an Oracle 10.2.0.4 everything x64 bits... and the worst I never did a installation in Linux distribution, and this is for a test/training drill.

Can you help me to clarify some doubts that I have at this point?...

1) First is... It´s possible to install (for test) this on Fedora (I know because I read in .../pam that system is not supported by SAP but as I told above this is exclusive for me, for training) ?

2) Second... when I was in SAP marketplace to do the download of DVD´s for this installation I didn´t find the DVD Installation master for Linux x86_64 bits!!! There exist a DVD called "NW 7.0/BS2005 SR3 installation master Linux on x86_64 64bit" but in fact I´m not sure if this is the DVD that I need for my installion process! Can you help me please?!

Best regards,

João Dimas - Portugal

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

1) First is... It´s possible to install (for test) this on Fedora (I know because I read in .../pam that system is not supported by SAP but as I told above this is exclusive for me, for training) ?

A. Check the service.sap.com/PAM for the OS and DB Support. If the Fedora is there you can install it, if not then I would use SUSE/ Red Hat Linux Anything special about Fedora? You can also get SUSE and Sun OS as an open source and they are also available on VMWare or Sun Virtual box appliances, which will cur your time during OS installation,

2) Second... when I was in SAP marketplace to do the download of DVD´s for this installation I didn´t find the DVD Installation master for Linux x86_64 bits!!! There exist a DVD called "NW 7.0/BS2005 SR3 installation master Linux on x86_64 64bit" but in fact I´m not sure if this is the DVD that I need for my installion process! Can you help me please?!

A. ECC 6.0 EHP 4 is based on NW 7.01. You can get the exact details about which CD's you have to download on Installation Guide ( specially, installation material guides on Market place.

Let me know if you need further help.

Best regards,

Raj.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

To be as close to Redhat Advanced Server I suggest you use CentOS - which is a Redhat "clone", same sources are used.

www.centos.org

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

João,

Markus is correct about CentOS being a clone of RHEL; however, there will be a few differences. For instance, /etc/redhat-release differs between CentOS and RHEL....

Kindest Regards,

Zach

joo_migueldimas
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Zachary Shay,

Ok... I already l heard about CentOS in past, but I don´t knew that was a clone distribution of RHEL, I believed that was the Fedora system a clone of RHEL... but in fact you may right in addition because I´m not an expert of linux I´m newest in Linux world but I want learn more about that!...

Another question regarding my previous question, like you know either RHEL and SUSE its mandatory to get license, but this is only for my personal training so I ask you if it´s possible to install a trial/free RHEL or SUSE (with 60 days off) and running over it a sap system... may I have some problems no?

Best regards,

Joao Dimas - Portugal

Former Member
0 Kudos

CentOS does not provide the right version of the IBM JDK nor the correct sap-locales packages necessary as described in this blog here: /people/hannes.kuehnemund/blog/2008/08/15/sort-varietes-between-operating-systems : if you use CentOS you will have to get them yourself. If you use RHEL for SAP they are included.

If you want to us RHEL then just download and use RHEL.

You can download it for free here: http://www.redhat.com/rhel/details/eval/

joo_migueldimas
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Michael Waite,

Ok...

But please answer to my previous question about that download... I know that is possible to download RHEL in it own official site but my question is if it´s possible to have some problems or some kind of limitations with that trial operation system or not and it´s possible to install with any problem a sap system with this trial solution?

Best regards,

Joao Dimas - Portugal

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

But please answer to my previous question about that download... I know that is possible to download RHEL in it own official site but my question is if it´s possible to have some problems or some kind of limitations with that trial operation system or not

The difference between the "trial" and the full version is the fact that you get updates only for a limited amount of time. So you should be able to download and install the trial and update to the latest patches.

and it´s possible to install with any problem a sap system with this trial solution?

You have to "die one death" - either use CentOS with the need to get packages manually or use the trial Redhat and possibly having the need of getting later an update which is not possible without a contract.

Markus

joo_migueldimas
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

Thanks for your help.

I´ll go install RHEL v5. But I´m with some initial doubts for example, when I read the point II "Supported hardware" in note 171356 I don´t understand if I have this requirements, this because I´ll install RHEL 5 in a VMware environment machine (ESX) and I think, I´m not sure, that is installed on IBM with platform x86_64... if this is true I must read the note 171380 (IBM) am I right?

Sorry if this questions are basic and/or stupid!

Kind regards,

João Dimas - Portugal

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I don´t understand if I have this requirements, this because I´ll install RHEL 5 in a VMware environment machine (ESX) and I think, I´m not sure, that is installed on IBM with platform x86_64... if this is true I must read the note 171380 (IBM) am I right?

Read

Note 1122387 - Linux: SAP Support in virtualized environments

Note 1122388 - Linux: VMware ESX 3.x or vSphere configuration guidelines

Markus

joo_migueldimas
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi to all,

I´m stuck in preparation phase of this installation SAP on Linux (RHEL 5)... where I´m stuck is in note 1048303 where is said "Installing Red Hat Enterprise Linux" and the problem is how can I verify in my RHEL if it are already installed that list of categories/groups and package that is mentioned in there note. I´m talk about this list:

- Servers/Printing Support

- Base System/Base

- Base System/X Window System

- Development/Legacy Software Development

- Development/Development Libraries (for Oracle databases)

- Development/Development Tools (for Oracle databases)

The following packages can't be chosen in these groups and have to be installed afterwards:

- compat-openldap

- libXp

- libunwind (only on ia64)

Via Terminal which command I have to insert to verify which package and categories/groups are installed in S.O. Can you tell me the command that I have to use??

Best regards,

João Dimas - Portugal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi João,

if you installed X Window System, you can execute

system-config-packages

If you only have the console, execute

yum grouplist

Kind regards,

Matthias

joo_migueldimas
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Matthias Schlarb,

Thank you for your help... I had already solved the problem but thank you anyway, you´re right, then I install the groups that I needed, for instance, for 'Development Tools" I execute the command in terminal/console:

yum groupinstall 'Development Tools'

Thank you Matthias

João Dimas - Portugal

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

1) First is... It´s possible to install (for test) this on Fedora (I know because I read in .../pam that system is not supported by >SAP but as I told above this is exclusive for me, for training) ?

If on PAM this combination is not supported then whatever be the purpose of the system it will not be supported by SAP.

2) Second... when I was in SAP marketplace to do the download of DVD´s for this installation I didn´t find the DVD Installation >master for Linux x86_64 bits!!! There exist a DVD called "NW 7.0/BS2005 SR3 installation master Linux on x86_64 64bit" but >in fact I´m not sure if this is the DVD that I need for my installion process! Can you help me please?!

Yes. This is the right DVD (Path is Go to SMP then Downloads-> SAP Installation and Upgrades --> Application by Index > E> SAP ERP --> SAP ERP 6.0. Then Select Installation and upgrade, there you will find the This DVD)

Thanks

Sunny