cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot deploy stack 17 after having to restore the database.

laurie_mcginley
Participant
0 Kudos

We are going thorugh the final bit of an upgrade from 3.2 to 7 Ehp1 on Windows / SQL Server 2005

Due to a problem with the msserv internal and external settings in teh profiles, we had to restart the update, but to get there had to restore the database to the point just prior to starting the update.

That done, we finished the ABAP update to Ehp1.

Now, I need to address the JAVA stack. It had been updated to 17 prior to starting the ABAP stack. I believe the schema data in the database for the java stack is now out of sync with the file system for the stack. For example, when I bring up JSPM, it shows current components ast sp14 and tartget as 16, which is correct. However the verify process says that the compoents have already been deployed and therefore can't run the update.

How can I go about resync'ing the java stack then?

Thanks

Lauire

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

JSPM takes some information from the filesystem, if you restore a java database, then you will also need to restore the filesystem (usr/sap/SID).

Also have a look at the documentation: [Backing Up and Restoring AS Java|http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/4b/d8f23ea4b42e5ae10000000a114084/frameset.htm]

Restoring the System

1. Shut down the system.

2. Install a new AS Java system using SAPInst, or restore the file system from the offline backups that you created.

3. Import the database backup using the relevant tools provided by the database vendor.

4. Overwrite the SAP system directory /usr/sap/<SID>.

5. Start the system (see Starting and Stopping SAP NetWeaver ABAP and Java.)

Cheers Michael

laurie_mcginley
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Michael. I was thinking there was a need to include the file system.

So next question. Since we are a a stuck point with the JSPM, we are considering rolling back to the backup taken right after the 7.0 upgrade (ABAP upgrade and Java add-in installed). And just starting teh EHP1 update again.

Would it make any sense at all to just restore the file system from the date we restored the database from. That would avoid having to go through the update process for the ABAP stack since it is done now.

Or.. if I read you steps correctly, we could shut down the system we have now (ABAP updated to EHP1) and do a new install of the Java add-in. Then go through the process to update the Java stack? Would a new install just overwrite the currently installed Java stack? That might work...

Or... is it just safer to roll back both the database and the file system files and start the EHP1 update again?

Thanks

Laurie

Edited by: Laurie McGinley on Feb 2, 2010 1:53 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry, but I am not able to give you a good answer here, without exactly knowing your installation and what steps you performed so far. You can give it a try, but do an additional backup of the database and the filesystem, just in case things get worse.

The basic thing you need to be aware is (in case of a dual stack system sharing the same database), if you restore the database to a earlier point, then you also need to restore the filesystem to that point. This is especially true if you deployed any packages to the AS Java.

Cheers Michael

laurie_mcginley
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Michael,

Was able to sync the file system and database after working with SAp support. They pointed me to note note #910073 which did the trick.

I am surely going to make sure the database and filesystem stay in sync on this system now!

Laurie

Edited by: Laurie McGinley on Feb 3, 2010 3:38 PM