cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WebSAPConsole and several handheld devices at the same time

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I’ve run into some difficulties regarding WebSAPConsole and several handheld devices. I’ve searched trough the forum and read documentation regarding WebSAPConsole, for help, but I haven’t found anything regarding my problem. I will therefore ask you Consultants out there for help and advise..

I am using WebSAPConsole with Windows Server 2003 to connect to R/3 system. The handheld devices are Symbol 8146 with Windows mobile 2003 and the browser we use is NetFront 3.2.

Everything is ok when customer is working with one handheld device, but when working with two devices at the same time, problems occur in approximately half of the times.

My customer application is about barcode scanning and exchange information with R/3. The performance decreases and the users have problem with information from one device is also shown in the other device, this happened after barcode scanning and information is shown from R/3. I haven't figure out why this occurs and I haven’t succeeded to recreate the problem.

Does anyone recognize this kind of problem or does anyone have experience with problems considering several devices working trough WebSAPConsole? As far as I know there should be no problem working with WebSAPConsole from several devices at the same time, or are there some special configurations that needs to be done?

Thank you in advance

Regards,

Helen

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The webconsole is responsible for device management.

the flow of data if has to be filtered can be done after customization on R/3 and not webconsole.

I think you need to set some variants for each user and cleary define customization rules for data filtering.

regards

anubhav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anubhav,

Thanks for your respond!

You wrote WebConsole, and I need to ask you because I work with WebSAPConsole, which is not the same thing,... are your advice applicable on WebSAPConsole as well?

If so, and I have understand you right I need to do customization in R/3 to clarify rules? Can you please give me more details on that? I would really appreciate it.

Regards,

Helen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Helen!

You have 2 issues.

(1) Duplication of Screens from one device to the Other.

This is related to the SAPGUI Patch.As you know WebSAPConsole is installed as a component during SAPGUI Install.Pl verify the Patch Level of your SAPGUI in your WebSAPConsole Server.Upgrade the patch to Patch 19 or higher if you are using SAPGUI 640, if SAPGUI 6.20 go with the latest available patch.You could downnload it from Service Market Place.

(2)Here is the answer for your performance issue.

WebSAPConsole creates an isapi_sapcnsl.dll which sits on the top of IIS( irrespective of Windows 2000/XP/2003).

You will notice that the performance of WebSAPConsole is very good in IIS in Windows 2000/XP. This proves that WebSAPConsole has no problemwith performance.

When webSAPConsole is running in IIS in Windows 2003 the performance is poor.We had analyzed this issue extensively and our conclusion is that the

performance hit is due to extensive security checks by Microsoft in IIS(Windows 2003).

Since the issue is with Microsoft, and lot of security issues have been introduced in IIS(Windows 2003), the performance of WebSapConsole is poor in Windows 2003.

So, it is better to use IIS 5.0 in Windows 2000/XP.Not a must but recommeded one.

Thank You

Gisk

Message was edited by: Sivakumar Ganesan(Gisk)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi helen

<b>Webconsole is no way related to your problem.</b>

I understand your problem but you have not mentioned about how your application works. Let me know about it.

1.u are using a standard mobile application provided by SAP on your devices. I cant sugest u in this case.

2.If u are using any custom build application (only generic sync projects) problem might exist in Backend RFC\wrapper. U should handle the users effecctive based on their device data.

Give me more details about your application

1.Is it standard SAP solution (Gendrally u will not get problems in this case)

2.Is it custom build one tell me if it is smart sync or generic sync.

Regards,

Vijay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vijay!

A Clarification here.WebSAPConsole is a different technology from WebConsole used in MI Applications.

You might be knowing about WebConsole(MI) already.

Here is the definition of

WebSAPConsole: SAP developed an enhancement of SAPConsole called “WebSAPConsole” which allows companies to enable their graphical devices such as Windows CE pocket PCs for mobile data entry.

Thanks

Gisk

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gisk,

Thanks for that. But what is the difference between MI and WebSAPConsole. Basically why WebAPConsole when MI is avilable?

Vijay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vijay!

There is a fundamental difference in technology for MI & Console environemnts.

To run MI Online OR Offline Applications, you need a WAS and also you need certain expertise both Java & ABAP develop,maintain & monitor your MI Server.You might know MI Technology better.I will stop here.

Whereas SAP Console or WebSAPConsole is a Online Connected Solution which need just one time setup and you do not need additional licence or software.The necessary components is part of your SAPGUI Install.MAINLY YOU DO NOT NEED A WAS(Web Application Server).All you need is ABAP skills to develop the programs and you can execute it in handheld devices.Also SAP Console/Web SAP Console is widely used in LES-Warehouse Management(WM) where there are certain configurations easily available for Mobile Data Entry in LES.

Definitely MI is more powerful, but if a customer is not yet ready to go for Netweaver Based solutions the only easy alternate for sap based solution to run in handheld devices is to have SAP Console or WebSAP Console.

Hope i make it clear

Thank You

Gisk

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gisk,

Thank you for your help!

1. It seems like the problems that my customer had with the duplication of screens, from one handheld device to another now have been solved. I'm not sure of what caused the problem though. And I haven't installed any new patches, but I will check out the patch level advice you gave me if the problem comes back. (At this moment I think they only have patch level 8 so it might be a good idea to upgrade to a higher level. Thanks for that tips.) I made one change though in the Virtual Directory of the IIS. When I created it I had allowed write permission, but I changed that because of the danger of allowing both read and write permission. (I'm not sure if that was any helpful in the case of duplication screens though), any thoughts about that?

2. About the performance issue I have also read the threads about performance is slow in Windows 2003 and IIS 6.0. I will take this recommendation under consideration too, but at this moment it works pretty well with Windows 2003.

For now it seems like the solution and my customer application (in ABAP) works fine. If problems occur later on, I think I have some good advice from you to continue with.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,

Helen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Helen!

Good to know that.It is better to wait and watch and if the performance detoriates then you can think of taking any actions.

We had similar issue with atleast more than one customer though, with WebSAPConsole/Win2003/IIS6.0.

Good Luck!

-Gisk

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all

i want urgenty help to connect Hand held machines to my SAP version 4.7*200 . any one know how to installed and configured in that system . Thanks in Advanced.

Regards

Arshad