cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TDMS Shell system creation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We are creating a Shell system from our Source system and this shell system will be the target system for our TDMS data transfer packages.

After creating this Shell system, will I get all the clients in my Shell system which was available in the Source system? Or Should I need to do any client copy (specific Profile) in the shell system?.

Kindly help me with this clarifications.

Thanks & Kind Regards,

Gopi

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes all the clients from the source will be copied to the target system but without any application data. However to make system consistent you will need to do a client copy of client 000 with SAP_ALL profile from source to target system.

Best regards,

Pankaj.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Pankaj,

As of now we have done the shell system export and the shell system import is ongoing.

Our source system is around 370GB and initially we thought that this shell system import will not occupy more than 200 GB as it is copying without any application data. However this system import has already occupied around 270GB and still Import ABAP phase is running.

Could you please clarify/any word on why this shell system occupies this much space? even it is copying without any application data.

Help in this regard would really appreciate.

Thanks & Kind Regards.

Gopi.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please be aware that shell system size is dependent on many factors and the shell system already being 270 Gigs although its not expected to transport any application data can be due to various reason -

1) May be that instead of reduced shell creation it may be doing a complete system copy, this may happen in case the export dont happen in accordance with TDMS Shell.

2) It may just be allocating blank space to tables but in actual the space may not be filled up with data and will get filled in future.

Regards

Pankaj.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Is there any way where we can assure that the system export was done via the modified control files?. And we confirmed that these control files were generated and modified by TDMS shell creation package and also we kept these control files in the sapinst directory as per the documentation.

Kindly help with this clarification..

Thanks & Regards,

Gopi.

Former Member
0 Kudos

What was the size of export dump?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Size of the export dump is 60 GB.

Regards,

Gopi

Former Member
0 Kudos

The size of export dumps appears to be large and i guess a full system copy has been done.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

compare the negdat area of your modified DDL<DB>.TPL file against the .TOC files and check if the .TOC files contain any table name from the negdat area.

If you found an entry this means that your modified DDL<DB>.TPL file is not used and this will result in a complete database export.

Best regards

Volker

Former Member
0 Kudos

Experts:

We get the same issue that is a complete database export generated without the expected size reduction.

When executing the activity " Determine tables to be excluded from the export" , we did NOT exclude any table.

Is this the reason why a complete DB export created?

Could you tell how to avoid this ?

Thanks!

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Size of the export dump is 60 GB.

I think you didn't export the content using migration monitor and you were using hence the default DDL<DB>.TPL file - which exported all data.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

a system shell consists out of 2 steps :

1. a system copy but only the standard sap client (so no application data)

2. a TDMS copy (TDTIM or TDTCC) for the clients you want with application data

This enables you to do a "system copy" of your sender system that is f.e. 12 Terra into a receiver system that is only 500 Gb.

Hopefully this helps.

Regards,

Eddy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eddy,

Thanks for your inputs.

Regards,

Gopi