Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MS SQL Database harddisk space FULL

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Gurus,

Need your help..

I'm running SAP ECC 6.0 with MS SQL database in Windows Platform.The problem is my windows harddisk are FULL.Total size allocate is 100GB for Data1,Data2,Data3,tempdb and Log file.Now the FREE space only left is 10mb.How can i solve this problem because i cannot shrink the log file because its only 1024kb.Kindly please give an advice and steps how to increase the space,e.g need to touch the tables or using SQL management studio...

Please help..

Thanks

/Shah

Edited by: Shahril on Jan 31, 2010 5:50 PM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

anindya_bose
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Shahril

Check the note below. It should help you..

Note 16513 - File system is full - what do I do?

Regards

Anindya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks..

But can it be done using DBCC SHRINKDATABASE command.

What is impact to the database..

TQ

/Shah

Former Member
0 Kudos

if you can find space or add space in(to) other driver, you can use MS SQL database detach and attach, which can help you change your layout. This might solve your problem temporarily by changing the disk layout. However you should review your system (database) capacity, SAP Data management etc. and find optimal solution suit your environment.

To manage your data growth, please read SAP Data management guide at service.sap.com/ilm

Cheers,

Denny

ken_halvorsen2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

You might want to take a look at note 706478 - "Preventing Basis Tables from increasing". At the very least you will be able to delete some old data and get yourself a little freespace, temporarily.

You will ultimately need to add more disk space, and maybe create some more datafiles.

Ken

0 Kudos

Shrinking the database will have no effect on the data or functionality of the application using it. However it compresses transaction log into much smaller size and hence saving you lot of space on your hard disk.

Former Member
0 Kudos

It will not have an heave impact, in the wrong way. It will be at a much smaller size, but I don't know if this is the real solution for you. Because it will continue to grow, I would recommend some best practice documents for this!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Gurus,

But my transaction log not grows,only the modified date has been change.why sir?

If i want to added the hard disk space using the detach and attach command,kindly can you tell me base on your experience what is the prerequisites i need to consider before do this exercise.And if have a problem how to revert it back...If have a step by step i'll very much appreciate it,because if have a problem i don't have a support to help me..

Please help...

Thanks

/Shah

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

please check Note 363018 - File Management for SQL Server. It's all in there.

Regards,

Sven

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> But my transaction log not grows,only the modified date has been change.why sir?

As I stated before: The log is overwritten cyclically; since transactions are not big enough to completely fill it there's no need to increase the size.

> If i want to added the hard disk space using the detach and attach command,kindly can you tell me base on your experience what is the prerequisites i need to consider before do this exercise.And if have a problem how to revert it back...If have a step by step i'll very much appreciate it,because if have a problem i don't have a support to help me..

So you should start READING a book on SQL Server and get familiar with the architecture. SQL Server is a database system, it can't be administered by "clicking on buttons".

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Sven and Markus,

Another question in my mind,If my database before is in SAN Storage and i need to move to local drive,is it i have to follow the same procedure in Note : 363018 or have a different need to follow.

Or have a different procedure from LOCAL to SAN..

What is the authentication to choose during login to SQL Management Studio,(Windows or SQL Authentication) when to do the Database Detach.

When to do the Database Detach,the SAP MMC (instance) need to stop or start (green color)?

Thanks

/Shah

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

LOCAL are SAN is the same procedure. Local drives are usaually slower than san drives. The authentication method is not important. Important is though that the user has sufficient rights/priviliges to perform a detach/attach. <sid>adm is usually just fine. The SAP system needs to be stopped.

Sven

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Sven,

I'll already succesfull to move the location of SQL database.

Ok,if i go to the DB02,i found that my database file have 1 mdf,2 ndf and 1 ldf. Need to verify if i set the database is auto grow,

is it posibble under the files tab ->exception the colour became green.Because in my system green colour display for mdf and ldf files.in another box QAS the setting also as the same but all the mdf and ndf become red color,only ldf is green colour.Can you explain this to me because the growth become very faster.

Confuse..

Thanks..

/Shah

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Gurus...

Anyone can help me to make me clear about this above problem...

Another issues,when i change the location of the DB to another location right,what i need to do with the database in the older location.Can i straightly delete it or need to follow some procedures...please help..

Thanks..

/Shah

Former Member
0 Kudos

anyone can help me..

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Shah,

we pointed out notes, we pointed you to documentation, what do you expect us to do? There is nothing like a "click-here-and-then-there" guide to fix your problem.

Markus