Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restriction of use of "SAP NetWeaver 7.01 SR1 SP3 Developer Edition"

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello all,

recently the new version "SAP NetWeaver 7.01 SR1 SP3 Developer Edition" has been made available to be downloaded. The restrictions here are the same as in the former version. Mainly (this is my problem):

- Windows Vista english version

As I have no access to such a version I have no chance to use the new version. I tried to install the former version on my Windows Vista (which is not english) and it does not work. The "NetWeaver 7.01 - ABAP Trial Version" is working perfect with my Windows Vista version.

Therefore I have two questions:

- Is there a workaround known to install it on a non english Windows Vista version?

- What about Windows 7 operating system? No statement is given regarding this OS. Only regarding Windows XP and Windows Vista. Would it make sense to use Windows 7 as OS?

Thanks for ideas/help etc.

With best regards

C.B.

PS: I found this entry:

so OS Windows 7 seems to be no option; so any idea left out there regarding "Windwos Vista english"??

Edited by: Christoph Bergemann on Jan 28, 2010 9:53 PM

Edited by: Christoph Bergemann on Jan 30, 2010 6:32 PM

Edited by: Christoph Bergemann on Jan 30, 2010 6:33 PM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

MartinMaruskin
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As safety way I would rather go to install it on WIN XP.

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Martin,

first thanks for your feedback

to install it like you proposed there are to my knowledge only two possible options:

a.) buy a new hardware without an OS and install Win XP => will cleary work and happy as I am I have a Windows XP (legal) version

b.) remove the Windows Vista from my hardware install Windows XP and add as a second OS Windows Vista => will clearly work

Both options are not very nice.

Could you may be give me a better idea of what exactly means "Windows Vista english" version??

Is this only a matter of installation of a further language pack which can be downloaded from MIcrosoft?? And how to go on then??

I would appreciate any help here because I would like to use the new version asap.

With best regards

C.B.

MartinMaruskin
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi C.B., according my understanding what SAP means by "English Windows version" is installation of WIN from original English installation media and w/o any language pack installed above it.

I do not realize what can be a problem for SAP with different language versions but probably we have to blame MS instead of SAP for this limit.

BR

m./

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi C.B.,

If it doesn't work on W7 then I doubt that it will work on Vista. I know the latest ABAP stack claimed to work on Vista and didn't.

What I do (and I believe this to be the best method) is install VMware workstation and run developer version using Server 2003. You can of cause install SAP on XP/2003 as a dual boot, however I prefer VM due to the flexibility provided by snap shots, particularly handy if you erm mistakenly set something in RZ10 that doesn't agree with your system 😛

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Paul

good idea. Thanks for this response. If I figure out how to grant you points you will gest some (I still trsuggle a little bit here9:

With best regards

C.B.

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Martin

thanks regarding your answer too. I wil award points asap.

C.B.

johna69
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Christoph,

I have just successfully installed the developers edition on my win 7 server. I have to run it in XP Mode which is only available with the professional and ultimate version of win 7 ([XP Mode|http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx]) .

Essentially XP mode is XP running inside Windows Virtual PC on win 7. It is a free download for professional and ultimate win 7 owners.

My server was bought on the cheap and does not support hardware virtualization or hyperthreading but did come with 4GB memory. The install took about 8 hours, most of the time spent in the Import ABAP step. My virtual machine was set to have 20GB swap space and 2GB memory, so I have no idea what slowed it down.

Regards

JohnA

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello John

thanks for your helpful input. Seesm to be that one can give Windows 7 a chance. I will try it now with VMPLAYER to generate a virtual Windows XP maschine in my Windows Vista environment. VmpPLayer is for free.

I am still looking for options to provide you all points but by an "error" this blog is no question so i can am not able to give points. I am working on that. May be take some time. Sorry for inconvenience regarding this.

With best regards

C.B.

PS: by the way: i took my "weeks" to get a donwload of both rar files. Actually using "Internet Download Manager" (recent version) I was successful worked. May be this couild help those which might have the same problem. Somebody in this Forum mentioned this tool and it is really a good option

Edited by: Christoph Bergemann on Mar 29, 2010 8:01 PM

johna69
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Chris,

I made some more checks last night and my PC does support hardware VT. Either way MS have a patch so that it is not required.

If you install XP mode it installs the Virtual Server and XP. You do not need an extra licensed version of XP, which I assume you would with VMWare.

Regards

JohnA