cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem during System Copy MaxDB Backup/Restore method

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

I am performing a system copy with the option "Homogenus System Copy MaxDB Specific tools backup/restore". I have done this once before (a year ago) without any issues. Platform is Linux/ ERP 6.0 SR3 and MaxDB.

The problem is that on this host there is also a development system present (D01).

SAPinst is now on the step "install database server software" and stops with an error. I am pretty sure the problem is that since MaxDB was installed on both databases with release 7.6.03.09 from the beginning it was all ok. But later on we maintained with a patch to level 7.6.05.09 both for D01 and T01 (since they seem to share same common binaries).

However, SAPinst refers to the original installation media for MaxDB which is release 7.6.03.09 (there is no available media for ERP bundled with MaxDB 7.6.05.09, I have checked). I thought that this would not be an issue and that I could upgrade T01

DB after System cope procedure is done to 7.6.05.09 but it seem to fail.

I attach the sdbinst.log so you can see. I am a bit confused why SAPinst/MaxDB is not able to install/check the software on /sapdb/T01/db/pgm/kernel. I have checked and there is no files or subfolders present under /sapdb/T01/db. That I thought SAPinst/MAxdb installation should take care of??

I did not have this issue the first time but on the other hand, then MaxDB was on release 7.6.03.09 on BOTH D01 and T01.

I have not found good any sapnote describing how to get around this issue. I have not found any more suitable installation media for MaxDB to use (rel. 7.6.05.09). So to sum up, how do I perform a succesfull SystemCopy with Backup/restore MaxDB procedure when I have two DB instances on the same host? And one is on a higher release than SAPinst uses during the procedure. I guess there is a workaround for this (?).

So I appreciate any help in this matter. BR //Pelle

Edited by: Pelle Westerlund on Jan 28, 2010 4:25 PM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry, forgot the sdbinst.log:

Installation of MaxDB

starting installation Th, Jan 28, 2010 at 13:02:50

operating system: Linux X86-64 2.6.16.21 0.8-smp GLIBC 2.4

callers working directory: /data/syscopy_t01_log_20100128

installer directory: /data/51033492_8_MaxDB_RDBMS/RDBMS_MAXDB_7.6.03_Build_09/DATA_UNITS/MAXDB_LINUX_X86_64

archive directory: /data/51033492_8_MaxDB_RDBMS/RDBMS_MAXDB_7.6.03_Build_09/DATA_UNITS/MAXDB_LINUX_X86_64

starting preparing phase of package Base 7.6.03.09 64 bit

-

cannot downgrade package

skipping package

starting preparing phase of package ODBC 7.6.03.09 64 bit

-

cannot downgrade package

skipping package

starting preparing phase of package JDBC 7.6.03.03

-

cannot downgrade package

skipping package

starting preparing phase of package Redist Python 7.6.03.09 64 bit

-

cannot downgrade package

skipping package

starting preparing phase of package SAP Utilities 7.6.03.09 64 bit

-

cannot downgrade package

skipping package

starting preparing phase of package Messages MSG 0.5603

-

cannot downgrade package

skipping package

starting preparing phase of package SQLDBC 7.6.03.09 64 bit

-

cannot downgrade package

skipping package

starting preparing phase of package SQLDBC 76 7.6.03.09 64 bit

-

cannot downgrade package

skipping package

starting preparing phase of package Loader 7.6.03.09 64 bit

-

cannot downgrade package

skipping package

starting preparing phase of package DB Analyzer 7.6.03.09 64 bit

-

cannot downgrade package

skipping package

starting preparing phase of package Server Utilities 7.6.03.09 64 bit

-

cannot downgrade package

skipping package

starting preparing phase of package Fastload API 7.6.03.09 64 bit

-

cannot downgrade package

skipping package

starting preparing phase of package PCR 7300 7.3.00.58

-

cannot downgrade package

skipping package

starting preparing phase of package PCR 7301 7.3.01.22

-

same package already installed

checking consistence of package data in install registry...

check files... ok

check rte registration of package... ok

skipping package

starting preparing phase of package PCR 7500 7.5.00.46 64 bit

-

cannot downgrade package

skipping package

starting preparing phase of package Database Kernel 7.6.03.09 64 bit

-

cannot do update check - test file "/sapdb/T01/db/pgm/kernel" not found

installation exited abnormally at Th, Jan 28, 2010 at 13:02:55

Edited by: Pelle Westerlund on Jan 28, 2010 4:18 PM

Edited by: Pelle Westerlund on Jan 28, 2010 4:22 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pelle

A work around is to point the SAPinst tool to the directory containing the 7.6.5 install/upgrade software. You will need to create a LABEL.ASC file in this directory to get SAPinst to use this directory for the installation.

We created the following entry in the LABEL.ASC:

MAXDB:760xx:RDBMS:MAX DB:WINDOWS_X86_64:AMD64:CD510xxxxx

You will need to adjust this for your linux system. The best way to determine the label you will need is to run SAPinst on the 7.6.5 directory without the LABEL.ASC. The check will fail (as it can't find the LABEL.ASC file) but it will tell you what it is looking for. You can use this information to build the LABEL.ASC file.

We used this method when we created a number of systems so we would not have to perform the installation and then patch the database.

Regards

Doug

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pelle,

you encounter the problem because you are already running a higher version of the MaxDB kernel than sapinst tries to install. So sapinst runs the MaxDB installation program in the background and the messages are telling you, that the MaxDB installation program cannot downgrade any package.

What you can do is: upgrade your source machine with the same version you are using on the destination machine. Perform a new backup and use this new backup for the restore.

HTH

André

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Thanks Doug, I "modified" your solution and it worked fine for me. I simply replaced the content (except for the LABEL.ASC files, I kept those intact/original) in the "original" folder for MaxDB 7.6.03.09 with the content in 7.6.05.09 folder and "fooled" SAPINST. SAPinst then looks at the label (intact LABEL.ASC file) and proceed okey and during the installation it actually uses 7.6.05.09 installation files ). Worked excellent and I did not have to modify any LABEL.ASC files :). But the outcome is the same I guess as in the way you did. Many thanks for the input, I got thrue with it and the system copy finally went ok!

@André

No need in upgrade source database (production) since that is already running on the same level as the target system (test system). But you are absolutely right, problem is that SAPinst is trying to install a lower version of MaxDB.

The problem is that SAP has no Media with a correct LABEL.ASC working with SAPINST for higher releaae than the one "bundled" with the original installation 7.6.03.09.

Anyway, many thanks both of you for your input.

BR //Pelle

Edited by: Pelle Westerlund on Feb 1, 2010 6:29 PM

Edited by: Pelle Westerlund on Feb 1, 2010 10:57 PM

Edited by: Pelle Westerlund on Feb 15, 2010 4:31 PM