cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printer Installtion on WWI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

Can any body convey me that, how to install a printer on WWI Server?

Regards,

Amol Joshi

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

nirajsikligar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Amol,

Printer installation on a WWI generation sever in itself is a big topic. Just to give you the hint:

The documents created on the WWI generation server are not output from the WWI generation server directly to a printer. The documents are transferred to the SAP sys-tem and are output through the spool on a connected printer. Because of this, you must configure various settings both in WWI generation server and in the SAP system.

Request you to go through the EHS WWI Generation Server Installation Implementation Guide and see tiopic no. 3.4, 4.6.2 and 5.4.

In the same document you will find topic related to GLM also, probably that will help you resolve your GLM issue.

Regards,

Niraj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Niraj,

Thanks for the guidence.

Could you please tell me or send me the link from where I can get this EHS WWI Generation Server Installation Implementation Guide

So that I can download the same and do the req printer installlation.

Thanking You,

Regards,

Amol

nirajsikligar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi Amol,

Actually i have got that document from one of my collegue, so really do not know the link. I thought you would find the same in SAP service market place of SAP help portal.

Due to limited authorization will not be able to send the document through mail. Nonethe less, giving you details of all the topics from the document I mentioned earlier.

3.4 Printer Selection

On the WWI server, only "virtual printers" are installed. The printer drivers on the WWI server are used solely to create print files. These files are sent back to the SAP system and printed out by the SAP spool.

Because there is no distinct relation between the printer drivers on the WWI server and the printers connected to the SAP system, you have to check that the printer driver on the WWI server is compatible to all printers that are used for printing.

In general, only the printer languages PS and PCL can be configured (output format in Report Shipping). Do not use a PCL printer driver for output format PS.

Check the printers and printer languages before using them for printing out EH&S reports. Install a printer driver that is compatible to all used printers and test the print-ing function.

WWI supports all printers that are compatible with Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Word.

Be aware that you cannot pass a specific printer, but only an output type to WWI within the scope of EH&S report shipping. This means, only a rough differentiation of PostScript (PS) and PCL printers is done! Use printer drivers with WWI that are com-patible to all printers that are to be used for report shipping. WWI doesn't print direct-ly to printers. WWI returns the printer data back to the SAP system and the system routes the data to the selected printer.

Recommendation:

Check if all printers that are to be used for EH&S report shipping support PS or PCL. If all printers belong to one series, for example, HP LaserJet, use the respective printer driver and test all of the different printers.

Since PostScript has proved to be more compatible, it is recommended.

Within the scope of GLM, you can directly select the printers that are installed on the WWI server. You need to install the printer drivers of all label printers that are to be used on the WWI server. WWI does not print directly on these printers. The print data is returned back to the SAP system and transferred to the SAP GUI Front-End, where it can be printed using the GLM Print Tool (GLMPT.EXE).

4.6.2 Configure default printer

In Windows Control Panel under Printers, set up a standard printer that contains a printer driver that matches the output device you intend to use (for example, PCL, Postscript).

5.4 Relation between WWI Printer Driver and SAP Printer / Spool

The documents created on the WWI generation server are not output from the WWI generation server directly to a printer. The documents are transferred to the SAP sys-tem and are output through the spool on a connected printer. Because of this, you must configure various settings both in WWI generation server and in the SAP sys-tem. The possible settings are described below.

See also chapter 3.4 Printer Selection.

5.4.1 Using Postscript / PCL

When using Postscript, ensure that the printer driver generates standard Postscript files without requiring additional control commands.

When using Postscript, ensure in EH&S Customizing that PS (default) is not config-ured as the output format. Also, ensure that all printers used to print EH&S reports support the configured printer language.

5.4.2 Set Up Printers for Different Output Formats

You can set up a different printer for each output format, for example, so you can generate PCL and PostScript (PS) on the same generation server.

To do this, set up the WWI.INI file as follows:

[Printers] PS= Name of an installed Postscript printer PCL= Name of an installed PCL printer

The output formats you can enter in WWI.INI correspond to the output formats that you can define for each communication type when you configure EHS report shipping. The formats DOC, RTF, ASC, ANY, and HTM are predefined by default and cannot be entered in WWI.INI.

Also check the IMG activity : Check WWI Destinations and Assign Generation Servers. maintain values for WWI Destinations activity as follows:

WWI Dest: DEST1

Description: Default WWI destination

Dest. type: GEN/PRN (this means that the server can be used for both gen-erating and printing).

Printer type: DEFAULT

AutoAssign.: X (checkbox is selected)

Hope this information will be helpful to you.

Regards,

Niraj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Amol,

Please access the SAP Note 1394553 - EH&S WWI server installation instructions and download the guide.

Thanks

Jayakumar

Answers (0)