cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

offline adobe interactive form

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Readers, I am in the process of developing an Adobe form. It is an interactive form.

Objective - This form will be used to allow the users to enter material movement information

fields like - name, cost center, material number, batch, UOM etc.

The objective of the form is to validate user input, and then when the user clicks on submit button

The form is attached to an e-mail with additional content in the body of the e-mail, and fired to the user.

It has a validate button

My questions are

1) Since the business is thinking of putting this form on the intranet (I am in the process of convincing them to put it on the SAP portal) Should this be done in ABAP webdynpro or regular ABAP.

2) If its an offline interactive form. How is it possible to perform validations on the form?

~thanks and appreciate any answers.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There is certain sequence of clicks in the WD designer that will offer you to regenerate the context. I cannot tell from my hearth. You start with the context change and next click somewhere into the form attributes in the WD designer. You will find that easily, I have learnt all that myself.

Otto

p.s.: this thread is becomming messy, please close the thread and open a new one for other things/ questions.

Answers (10)

Answers (10)

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You cannot use ABAP dic. based interface. It just won´t work. I don´t know where to point you to check that in the manuals, but if you search a bit, you´ll find that out. I can recommend you to use the structures you use in the DDIC interface in the WD context (I would create a DDIC structure which will wrap all the sub-structures into one) and based on this context generate a new XML based interface. You cannot just change type, that is not how it works, you need to generate a new one based on the WD context. And after the regeneration, SFP transaction will let you edit the layout as you´re used to, so you´ll be able to copy the old layout to the newly generated form. Otto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Otto, I managed to create a new XML based interface based on my wd context.

Now when I update the context elements, how do i update my xml interface based on the newly added context elements

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I hope your form is based on XML interface and not the ABAP one. That can be your problem. Please check and tell us about the result. Otto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Otto,

Currently the interface type is 'ABAP dictionary based interface"

I tried changing the interface type to "XML schema based interface" ; It says you cannot change XML schema source to "Generated".

When I leave the XML schema source to 'File'; it says "Specify a file name for XML schema source "File".

Do I have to specify a File source here; and what information should it include

~thanks and appreciate any answers.

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You find "embed" in the form layout, mark picture, tab Object.

Former Member
0 Kudos

found that thanks, what about the other fields? it is suppose to be an interactive form, why are all the text fields locked, the buttons seem to be frozen to.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The 'read only' property in the adobe form is unchecked, The form is suppose to allow users to enter values.

Why are my fields appearing locked; I cannot enter any values.

Former Member
0 Kudos

When i run WDR_TEST_ADOBE; I am able to save the pdf file on local drive, and when i open it, it is editable even in acrobat reader. Which means there is something wrong with the settings in my webdynpro program or the form. I dont need any additional software

Former Member
0 Kudos

Changed layout to ZC1, and inserted the web dynpro script; still no affect. The input text fields are still locked, and the buttons dont work

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You need to set your form as "enabled" in WD designer screen.

To persist the image data, set "embed image data" TRUE.

Otto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, the form is enabled, where do i find the feature

"embed image data" TRUE.

Its not in the properties of the UI element - interactive form

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1) you pass data about the logged user into the form during the generation of the form

2) you create a webservice in your backend and a login screen in your form, at form initialization you open the dialog, ask for user and pass and send this to the webservice to obtain the data you want.

3) use WD form

Otto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Otto, I am using WD form. I just created a sample WD with pdf object. When i run the WD application, the form shows up. I save it on my local drive and try to open it.

1) The logo on the form has disappeared

2) The colors have all disappeared

3) the input text fields appear frozen, and don't allow me to enter data.

4) when i designed and previewed the form, it looked so much better in Preview pdf.

I am guessing we don't have Adobe writer set up, that is why the form is appearing strange.

~Any suggestions welcome

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well, you must adjust the blueprint, because you cannot use this "often". I mean you can do this for "small" sets of values (I have tested this for hundreds of items and the form was neither big nor slow). And you cannot do this for "all" the value sets you can think off.

Briefly:

1) only for reasonable/ small value sets

2) only for value sets that are not changed very often (deletion flag can change any minute, right? you make a mistake and delete it immediately etc.

That means:

1) you make your customer/ boss not to want all validations (do not want these which would make you use WS)

2) you spare a part of work using this "offline validation" and only a part solve using WS

Otto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, if I want the form to pick up the user name from the system. Is there a means by which I can do that.

for example - in yahoo it says "hi Otto Gold".

How can I enable the form to read the network login name in the Requester's name text box

~thanks

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Maybe you can do this: on the intranet there won´t be a static file for upload, there will be a link which will cause the form re-generation in the background. In that case the data for validation can be included into the form (well not all the materials masters etc., but in most cases this can be done). Yes, there will be a delay between the generation and validation, but in 95% the validation should work.

Or: create a job, which re-generates the form and saves it to same filesystem location, the intranet link will point to this file. This is easier than the previous option. (This is what I would do).

That will take you like 10% of time you would spend on webservices validation.

Otto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Otto, are you recommending that I copy / paste all the material numbers and batch numbers as static values in the form. It has some conditions like

If the user enters any value in the internal order number field, then Check the

value in COAS table, field AUFNR, with a STAT as the order type (COAS-

AUART) and verify there is not a deletion flag (COAS-LOEKZ), else display an

error u201Cscan valid internal orderu201D.

How can i check that as static values?

~thanks

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

To validate your form easily use WD form. Offline form with connection to the webservice works too, but you would spend days first to understand how to do that and then more days to do that. I don´t recommend this.

Offline form can be validated if you pass the validation data set into the form. But there is always a risk the data you use to validate your form are not up-to-date.

Otto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks I have made that recommendation to the client already, and like you know some people can be strong headed.

They want the form to be on their intranet portal which is not an SAP Portal.

They want users to be able to download the form from there.

Fill it and perform validations, and then submit(which will attach the form to e-mail and fire an e-mail)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Neha,

You can validations in offline even if it is kept in SAP Portal. i.e. you need to create WebService and use that webservice for your validations. If you want to create WebService then you need to create an RFC Function Module and for this RFC FM create an WebService and use SOAMANAGER to get the URL for created WebService. Now create a New Data Connection in Adobe Form and have validation check in FM when validation button is clicked or for any button.

Regards

Pradeep Goli

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think, we can not validate offline forms..Validating from the database table in offline scenario is not possible.we can do basic validations like mandatory field check, type mismatch etc can be done by writing java script inside the form.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, lakshmi, is it possible to write select statements inside the validation button code,

and then check if the values exist in the SAP tables using web services.