cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to enable frontend printing using Adobe Print Forms

Former Member
0 Kudos

Otto Gold at the forum "SAP Interactive Forms by Adobe" gave me the tip that Sandra Rossi in this forum might help me out. Here is the link to my original thread

My question was:

Hi Experts!

Did anyone of you manage to enable frontend printing using Adobe Print Forms? In order to save administration effort we use frontend printing in our ERP system. We just changed some SMARTFORMS to the new Adobe Forms technology. Now we learned that direct frontend printing does not work with these forms.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Gerald

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think you'll be disappointed by a rather negative answer but I'll try to explain everything I know (or think I know) the best I can

The simplest solution is to do a preview, and print from Adobe Reader! (as I could see on one project, users have to display one more dialog than usually to print) It's the best workaround according to me.

How Adobe form printing works:

When you print an Adobe form from SAP, a printer language (PCL, PS, ZPL, PDF) is retrieved from TSP0B table according to the device type, ADS (Adobe Document Services, installed in the SAP java stack) is then contacted to generate the form: a file corresponding to the printer language is generated and sent back to SAP (there are also 2 other little files but it's of none interest here). SAP stores it as a file (named SPOOL...) in the global directory (DIR_GLOBAL when you use AL11 transaction).

When you ask SAP to print it, it sends the file as is to the printer.

Note: when you ask SAP to display the spool, SAP sends a request to ADS which will send back a PDF (binary stream which is not stored on disk, just displayed on frontend).

How frontend printing works:

If you want to print a normal spool via frontend, SAP doesn't know the language of the printer you will choose. SAP sends the spool in a format named SAPWIN to a frontend program named SAPLPD, it converts the SAPWIN format into GDI, a Windows format that is understood by all printer drivers, and it is sent to the printer driver (you have selected) which converts the GDI format into the printer language.

Any workaround?

First possibility would be that ADS converts the PDF into SAPWIN format (by creating an Adobe .XDC file at the ADS side). SAP says it's not possible in Note 685571 - Printing PDF-based forms. As I understand, SAPWIN is a very simple language compared to PCL for example, so it is very difficult to convert a PDF to SAPWIN without losing much information. There's a SAP note about the SAPWIN language if you want to check.

Second possibility is to print directly the PDF through Adobe Reader: you get the PDF from ADS, download it to the frontend (easy), and execute directly Adobe Reader print function. Unfortunately, I don't know if it's possible. Moreover, we should enhance the standard SAP print dialog...

Third possibility is the one I recommended at the beginning of this post

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

former_member193284
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Gerald.

Please refer following SAP note.

SAP Note 685571 - Printing PDF-based forms

this will tell you list of available device type for Adobe forms.

check the device type of your front end printer and see if its a valid one as per the sap note provided.

Also you have an option in SPAD where you set front end printing. i was able to print adobe forms using front end printing.

Let me know if this works for you.

Thanks

ankur_jain15
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

It is possible to take frontend printing fo Adobe form as per SAP Note : 0001444342.

For this you have to run SAPPDFPRINT 7.20 Setup along with the SAP GUI 7.20 setup.

Regards,

Ankur

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Sandra, dear Otto

Thanks for your great help. We will have to use some of the workarounds you provided.

Gerald

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I am sorry Sandra was not able to help you, or better - SAP cannot do what you want. But as I said, Sandra is the best person to ask about this, thank you Sandra!!

To get the fastest preview possible, use this code in your generator function module:

(I use extra customer function module to customize print of all my Adobe forms at one place)

CALL FUNCTION 'ZPDF_SET_OUTPUT_MODE'

CHANGING

FP_OUTPUTPARAMS = fp_outputparams.

fp_outputparams-dest = 'ZPDF'. ====> this is the printer you would pick in the print dialog

fp_outputparams-nodialog = 'X'. ====> this means no dialog (as you would expect from the name:))))

fp_outputparams-preview = 'X'. ====> asks for a preview of the form.

Regards, Otto