cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

With PI's future unclear, don't use it for strategic projects, Gartner says

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

A few days before I read this article below and I am really curious what you think about it?

Waiting for your oppinions...

http://searchsap.techtarget.com/news/article/0,289142,sid21_gci1378796,00.html

NetWeaver PI customers shouldn't use the middleware for new, business-critical projects because SAP hasn't clarified a roadmap for the product, according to a Gartner Research report.

A number of factors -- the most recent of which is SAP's SOALogix acquisition -- have Gartner believing that SAP will "drastically" redefine its middleware strategy this year and may even relegate the current NetWeaver PI technology to legacy status.

For this reason, users should ensure that their SAP maintenance contracts guarantee support for the next three to five years, according to Daniel Sholler, research vice president at Gartner. They should also limit NetWeaver PI use to tactical, SAP-centric, fast ROI projects u2013 not strategic projects like SOA or BPM, which some large multinational customers, particularly in the manufacturing segment, have been engaged in.

"You shouldn't make a significant investment in PI until the long-term strategy gets clarified," Sholler said. "I wouldn't spend any more money on it until I had that really clear from SAP."

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi,

this topic was discussed here:

http://forums.sdn.sap.com/click.jspa?searchID=37586736&messageID=8630341

hope this clears it a little bit

Regards,

Michal Krawczyk

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arman,

Please find more details and complete clarification on this issue from SAP's product manager for middleware Mr.Udo Paltzer.

/people/udo.paltzer/blog/2010/01/08/continuation-real-customer-scenarios-with-sap-netweaver-process-integration-71

regards,

Sunil.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

this was already discussed two weeks ago:

Regards

Patrick