Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unicode conversion and patching simultaneously

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All -

We are planning to convert our core ECC 6.0 system to Unicode this year as well as patch it to the latest support pack stack. In order to minimize regression testing time, we are going to do them both at the same time so the functional teams only have to test once.

The question is which order to perform the tasks in: convert to Unicode first, THEN patch, or patch, THEN convert? I'm not sure the order matters, but I can't find any definite documentation either way. Has anyone had any experience with this that they would be willing to share?

Thanks for your help!

Abby

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

nils_buerckel
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Abby,

this depends on what you mean by "patches" ?

Do you want to combine the Unicode conversion with applying support packages only ?

Or do you want to implement EhPs as well ?

If you go for EhPs, I would recommend to do this before the Unicode conversion. This is also the "normal" approach when combining an upgrade with a Unicode conversion.

In case of support packages only, both ways are possible (Unicode first and then SPs or vice versa) ...

By the way I assume you do not have an MDMP system - this would add some additional constraints ...

Best regards,

Nils Buerckel

SAP AG

2 REPLIES 2

nils_buerckel
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Abby,

this depends on what you mean by "patches" ?

Do you want to combine the Unicode conversion with applying support packages only ?

Or do you want to implement EhPs as well ?

If you go for EhPs, I would recommend to do this before the Unicode conversion. This is also the "normal" approach when combining an upgrade with a Unicode conversion.

In case of support packages only, both ways are possible (Unicode first and then SPs or vice versa) ...

By the way I assume you do not have an MDMP system - this would add some additional constraints ...

Best regards,

Nils Buerckel

SAP AG

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nils -

Yes, we are on a single-codepage system right now. We are also planning to move to EhP 4 with these support packs - so we will plan to do the support packs and enhancement packs first, and then the Unicode conversion. Thanks very much for the help!

Abby