cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I best maintain relationships between main tables.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Question using Import manager Version 7.1.03.69.

I have 2 main tables (Plant and Materials). I defined a relationship where the plant is the parent and Materials are the children.

How to i get Import Manager to update this relationship when importing. Right not all I get is it defines the parent but will not relate any of the children. What do I need to set in import manager to get it to update the relationships and are they set when updating the Plant table or the Materials table?

I found a forum artical that tells me I cant maintain relationships using Import Manager. It says to use Data Manager.

Do now my question becomes, What is the best way to automaticaly maintain these relationships so when a record is added or deleted the relationship is also changed.

Thank You!

Edited by: Steve Tisdale on Jan 25, 2010 6:03 PM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I wanted to add in a more general sense that relationships between tables can be implemented using:

1. Relationships. as you did.

2. Lookup (main) field. This is a straight forward reference of one main table to the other. Please note that in current MDM this is a one way reference.

3. A Lookup(main) tuple member.

Meaning, define a tuple that one of its members is Lookup(main). Then, include in one of the main table a tuple field. Thus accomplish reference between main tables.

This design add to the 2nd (Lookup (main) field) since it allows defining more link data elements (you may define more tuple memebrs e.g. valid from, last updated etc).

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

GREAT answers I just need to test a little to see which way works best for me.

thank you! for taking time out of your day to answer me!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Steve,

I assume that the reason you are not seeing the relationship fields to import to in the destination fields list is because you have selected one of the main tables as the destination table.

Please note that in order to import the relationships data you need to select in the destination table the parent/child relationships.

Note also the latest Import Reference Guide, section "Importing Parent/Child Relationship Links":

"

When importing relationship links, the MDM Import Manager behaves as follows:

u2022 Relationship selection. The drop-down list of destination tables includes the parent/child relationships as the last group of items.

Choose the relationship into which you want to import relationship links.....

"

Hope this solves your problem.

Regards,

Hedda Cohen

Edited by: Hedda Cohen on Jan 28, 2010 3:22 PM