cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

edit single rule file - RAR 5.3

Former Member
0 Kudos

I've downloaded the rules for one Source system by selecting all from export utility of rule architect.

Opened it in Excel and see that it has 282050 lines. In order to make this file manageable we decided to delete all the entries for languages other than EN and save it as a text file. Now if I upload this updated single text file using the import utility of RAR. Do I've to regenerate the rules? or rerun any of the backgroung jobs?

Thank you,

Partha

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

koehntopp
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Sorry, but that just sounds completely wrong to me....

First of all - what kind of change are you trying to implement?

As you exported rules for one system, you're probably looking at changing object values and/or authorization objects. This is best done in rule architect, function level change. You will have a much smaller amount of places to work on. When you re-generate the rules after changing functions, this will generate the 280000 rules again.

Most of the time you do not need to work on a single system level anyway - you might load the SAP standard rule set against a logical systems, and then add all systems where the same rules apply to that logical system.

If you keep working on single systems, you will end up in an unmaintainable mess, I'm afraid....

Frank.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Frank. Looks like there is some confusion in my query. Let me make it clear. In the rule architect tab / utilities/ export rules , I've selected the logical system and exported the rules for all components. This has given me a single text file. My understanding is this single text file is a combination of the rule files(SAP delivered files) that were uploaded as part of RAR configuration.

Now when I look at this exported text file, there are several entries for languages other that English. So I was thinking of deleting the rows that are not EN and then import this updated file. I'm under the impression that his will result in a smaller file the next time I export it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, that is correct but make sure to do this right. If you don't manipulate this file in correct way, you will end up messing up the ruleset.

Alpesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Alpesh. After I import the updated file. Do I have to regenrate rules under configuration/logical systems/generate rules?

koehntopp
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Partha,

to get what you want (provided you have not yet modified the rule set a lot...) it would be a lot easier to edit the SAP supplied text files and re-upload them.

The export files do not only contain the definitions (as in the text files), they also contain the rules (which you might as well delete if you really want to work with the expoort files) which can easily be re-generated after your modifications.

As Alpesh says - careful, these files do follow strict syntax and logic checks, so you need to know what you're doing.

Frank.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I totally agree with Frank. If you still want to go with the import/export option, after the successful upload RAR will schedule background job for rule genreation. Once this job finishes, you can check that rules are generated successfully.

Alpesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks all. I'll try to edit the SAP supplied text files and re-upload them instead of editing the export file.