cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JCo and user licence

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have a question regarding JCo and user licensing for which I couldn't find the answer neither in the JCo licensing terms, nor in the JCo FAQ, nor in this forum.

Our company offers connection from our Java web-app to SAP through the JCo. For us so far it has never been a question that we connect to SAP using ONE certain user (otherwise also the JCo connection pool would not make sense).

Now we are in sales contact with a new customer and it's IT manager argues that any web-app user who uses SAP through the JCo needs it's own SAP user license.

We consider this very unlikely. However, this manager cannot be convinced unless we present him some reliable SAP source regarding this question.

Can you help?

Best regards

Michael

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Michael,

I pulled this from the JCo FAQ.

15. Do I need a runtime license for running an application that uses the SAP JCo?
The runtime does not require any immediate license fees. However, please note that each user
accessing application functionality through the SAP JCo is required to be licensed under a respective
solution or component license.

This is just a guess, but I remember each JCo connection had two configurations. One used a single RFC user; the other used a logon ticket (the actual user). But maybe that is what the FAQ is referring too....

You might be able to get a better answer from submitting a message in component "BC-MID-CON-JCO".

Hope this helps,

Zach

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you, yes "guess" and "might" that's also the only what I have understood from the FAQ.

I'm not too familiar to SDN. What do you mean by submitting a message in component "BC-MID-CON-JCO"?

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Michael,

I was referring to a value that can be used while submitting a message to SAP. Messages regarding product defects can be sent to SAP using the support portal (requires an s-user). The component helps the message get to the appropriate handlers.

I did a little more searching in the forums and found someone else asking about the JCo license structure. This [thread|https://forums.sdn.sap.com/click.jspa?searchID=37581693&messageID=8462397] may be more useful. My interpretation of the quoted license agreement (keep in mind I am NOT a lawyer) is that each developer using JCo needs a developer's license and each user using JCo needs a user license for the used backend functionality. Additionally you are not allowed to bundle JCo with your product for installation.

I suspect that if you're customer requires anything official, and the license agreement bundled with the connector is not satisfactorily clear...you should give the license agreement to an attorney for analysis.

-Zach

Answers (0)