cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Java Dictionary or ABAP tables

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

Can anybody tell me when to make use of Java Dictionary?

I've seen different projects that make use of ABAP tables as well as Java dictionary to store data. But what will be the criteria to decide which one I should choose for my data persistence?

For example, I've a requirement at my hand, which will have huge data transfer per day & the number of records in the table will be in lacs. Where will I persist my data in Java dictionary or ABAP tables?

What are the pros & cons of each?

Regards,

Aparnna

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member185086
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

As per your query for Java dictionary or ABAP tables Both are different things for their context but logically they represent the same thing i.e structure .

When we import any RFC respective logical representation are created at Dictonnary folder : this is what you've seen different projects that make use of ABAP tables as well as Java dictionary to store data.

Ofcourse you will persist data in ABAP system , with the help of its defined structure . Dictonary is all about defining the metadata of the Database.

Best Regards

Satish Kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Satish,

Thank you for your reply.

When I told about the different Projects making use of ABAP/Java Dictionary as the Persistent store, I was referring to projects that make use of ABAP tables and other project which make use of Java dictionary alone as the Persistent store.

I was not referring to the dictionary which is generated in Model DC, when we import a FM.

I wanted to know the pros & cons of using Java Dictionary (Dictionary DC) as well as ABAP tables

Regards,

Aparnna Prasad

former_member185086
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Aparnna

Please have a look on following thread

1. [Java Data Dictionary Demystified, Part 1|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/00c062ec-f90d-2a10-52bd-df57de2d1ddb]

2.[Preferred Uses of Structure from Java Dictionary |;

Best Regards

Satish Kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Satish,

Still I haven't got what I was searching for.

The given thread is having details on how to work with Java Dictionaries.

Regards,

Aparnna Prasad

former_member185086
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Sir as your question : I wanted to know the pros & cons of using Java Dictionary (Dictionary DC) as well as ABAP tables ?

Please try to understand both are different things in their context , OK let me try again

1. Java Dictonary is used used to define the table structure its data types and used for portal database if it is small/ lightweighted.

2.ABAP table is again for defining the structure , datatypes , which is used in RFC/BAPI.

3. When to use what or Pros & Cons

• Java supports more models (Javabeans, web services, adaptive RFC, and XMI) . Data Dictonary is common every where ,OK

• Compared to the function module model in ABAP,

(so u can think like this that ABAP tables are base in SAP environment to define metadata of the databse , Similar concept java has implemented using data dictonary)

There is nothing comparable because both have their own purpose to serve, except Java Dictonary are mostly use for small project or if project involvment is only in Java., where as ABAP table has no limit .

and ,

Second thing is both has code wizards to generate the metatdata after definition.

Best Regards

Satish Kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Satish,

I was not comparing Java Dictionary & ABAP tables.

I asked the pros and cons of each. That was never a comparison.

I've seen few developers preferring Java Dictionary to ABAP data store, even if the data volume is high.

Personally I felt that using ABAP tables and making use of ARFC models gives us more stability & easiness to check the backend data since we have SE16 transaction. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Moreover I've seen some application making use of Java(with high volume of data) dictionary behaving in unexpected manner.

In order to get more clarity I posted this thread. You last post was definitely useful for me.

Thank you.

Regards,

Aparnna Prasad

former_member185086
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Don't mind it but your last reply contain the actual question.

******As you said : I felt that using ABAP tables and making use of ARFC models gives us more stability & easiness to check the backend data since we have SE16 transaction.

Yes , its very easy in development as well as maintainability is high with higher performance.

******I've seen some application making use of Java(with high volume of data) dictionary behaving in unexpected manner.

Its not true for the case of EJB 3.0, but true for portal database .

Again both point depends on requirement and functionality , some times R/3 is not feasible than we have alternative of EJB.

Hope these information helps you.

Best Regards

Satish Kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Satish,

> Don't mind it but your last reply contain the actual question.

Thank you for the comment

> Its not true for the case of EJB 3.0, but true for portal database .

>

I was referring to some applications making use of EJB 3.0. One moment it works, the other moment it may not (may be due to wrong programming by the developer, I don't know much ).

Thank you once again for sparing time to clear my doubt.

The information you have given is very useful.

Regards,

Aparnna Prasad