cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Same SID for QA & Prd systems - pros and cons?

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have the foll systems:

1. Enterprise Portal 7.0

2. NWDI 7.0

3. NW 7.0 (with XECO - Ecommerce)

4. TREX 7.1

5. Content Server 6.40

6. ECC 6.0

Currently the QA and Prd systems have the same SID and system/instance no, although they are on different hosts.

We would like to know what are the long term pros and cons for keeping the QA and Prd SIDs the same for all systems.

We are already making a list, so thought we might as well get more inputs from the community too.

We already have this arrangement for the past 3 months and have not faced any major issues.

A couple of cons though:

1. Cannot use solman as it cannot distinguish between the diff servers with same SID

2. ABAP transports from QA to Prd have to be manually done (cannot use STMS)

Thanks

Prasad

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos
A couple of cons though:
1. Cannot use solman as it cannot distinguish between the diff servers with same SID
2. ABAP transports from QA to Prd have to be manually done (cannot use STMS)

I believe you are thinking in the right direction, But anyway, whats the advantage in having same SID in the landscape? I can't see one. I would not suggest continuing this. You may want to consider using homogeneous system copy to change SID if you wish to.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manoj,

Changing the SID of java systems is a very tedious procedure. Hom sys copy is just a part of the SID change...there are a whole lot of configs to be done after that...the task is eq to a new setup of systems

For once, the efforts put in are huge..you can see there are 5 systems..besides, it will involve coordination from all teams - basis, development, functional, project management.

Here are a few advantages that we know of:

1. No efforts reqd to change back to original SID

2. During disaster recovery, we just have to restore the production database on QA and change the hostname, whereas its not so in case of having diff SIDs

3. For end-users this will be transparent because they will be using the hostname in the URL which is anyways different

We have the same SIDs for the past 3 months and have not seen major issues, but we also would like to know from the long term perspective if there are any risks that we have not foreseen...hence we seek help from the community.

Hope its clear now

Thanks for your response

Prasad

Former Member
0 Kudos

dear all, any inputs?..we are really looking out for some help from the community

thanks

former_member66264
Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear,

Most of it is already mentioned:

This is a really bad idea, you will never be able to use tms, solman, sld, monitorin might be difficult ( is it production or not)

Anyway i would not recommend to continue with that.