cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What will be idea time for data transfer ?

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I am trying to understand how can we reduce the data refresh time from TDMS. I have done many refreshes but ideal time which i took say for 300 GB of data is from 7 to 9 days.

So, my questions starts:

1) Is this normal to have 7 to 9 days for each data transfer say based upon time based reduction scenario ( this time includes the moment i starts creation of package) and database size avg. 300 GB ?

2) I tried to look into various notes and troubleshooting procedure in TDMS, is it that we have to set different parameters for different tables as mentioned in the troubleshooting in TDMS ?

Any input will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Sunny

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sunny,

you can influence the complete time a lot using more processes (see on top "Process settings - Settings for batchprocessing and settings for data transfer).

Although pay attention if you didn't switched off archiving because it goes normally very quickly.

With me for almost the same quantity of data it usualy takes for the complete trackt 2-3 days.

Regards,

Eddy

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Eddy,

In my case, I took 8 batch processes in all systems (i.e. Sender, Receiver and Central system)

Also, archiving was off in receiver system but not in central and sender system.

Do you still think that there we have to increase more work processes ?

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sunny,

if you hardware is good enough you can add some processes. I normally use 15-25 processes.

Regards,

Eddy

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

This time I added 2 more CPU to my server and increased number of dialog work processes to 20 for data transfer activity. And in Settings for data transfer I choose option user defined and I entered server utilization of sender and receiver system as 200 % as a result number of used processes in sender and receiver becomes 16. But still if i will check log of activity Start Data transfer, it is still using 8 processes.

I changed this settings before starting Start Data Transfer activity. Is there still some more things are required to change number of work processes ?

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sunny-

Just curious, how much time are you taking for data deletion?

Harmeet

Former Member
0 Kudos

See note 916763 for general performance related improvements. I applied note 1367836 and reduced my total time to "select data" from around 32 hours to under 8 hours.

Harmeet

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Harmeet,

Thanks for the input. But I don't think so SAP note 1367836 is helpful in my case as I am on SP13.

Also, in my case data deletion step took almost 3 days to complete. Now, Data Transfer step is going on. Again it is taking very long time. From last 2 days only 43 tables out of 11800 apprx. are copied.

I changed data write behavior to Modify and increase number of process to 15 but still speed of data transfer is same.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sunny-

No this is not right then. we are on SP12 still and I do not take more than 4 days (worst case) to transfer close to 300 Gigs. Did you ask SAP?

Harmeet

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I asked several times from SAP but the answer which they are giving are very generic and not helping me at all. I tried to implement all notes related to performance but with no luck. Still it is taking nearly 7 -8 days to refresh 350 GB of data.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

When you look at the details, are there specific tables that take a very long time? If so, you might want to add a couple of secondary indexes.

E.g. a new index on table VBFA saved us about 2 days in the data selection process.

kind regards,

Nicolas

Answers (0)