Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SWL Database copy from 2005 to 2008

paulo_sousa3
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello,

I'm moving my ECC6.0 from a SQL2005 based system to a new cluster running Windows2008 and SQL 2008. I already copied the system using the modified NW70 master installation DVD with using option

-> Software Life-Cycle Options

-> System copy

->MS SQL Server

-> Target System Installation

-> High-Availability System

-> Based on AS ABAP

After tunning and testing my system in the last days, I plan to go live next weekend. I will backup my PRD database and restore it in the new system. Then I will put it in production.

My question is: After restoring the database, how do I complete the system copy? Using "Sap tools for SQL server" as described in OSS note 683447, or using the sapinst in the modified NW70 master installation DVD using option

-> Software Life-Cycle Options

-> System copy

->MS SQL Server

-> Target System Installation

-> High-Availability System

-> Based on AS ABAP

-> Database Instance

MNy source is a 2005 cluster, and my destination is a 2008 cluster.

Thank you

Best regards

Paulo

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

paulo_sousa3
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi, my new cluster is working fine in WIN2008/SQL2008/NW70. I installed it using the "modified Installation master dvd".

My question is: sapinst or "sql tools" to refresh the 2008 SQL database in NW 7.0 SR3?

If sapinst, how? run (again) the "Database instance instalation" option in the virtual SQL server?

Thanks

ken_halvorsen2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Paulo

I believe it would be personal preference. But I have used the sapinst.exe for database restores.

I'm assuming you've downloaded the SAP Tools for MS SQL Server. But you just start the sapinst.exe, menu path SAP Tools for MS SQL Server -> Database Copy.

You'll definately want to test run this before you go live though.

Ken

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Paulo

Sorry for the late reply!

This Note 683447 - SAP Tools for MS SQL Server is not relevant with the Basis 7 as you inquired about the SAP Tools.

This applies only to SAP basis versions 6.40 or earlier.

You have successfully installed the Clustered which need to restore the data from the old cluster without any repeating the installation steps.

As i disscused above that if you have DB and SAP has same instances then you can restore the data to the newly server.

If not then you have to use the System copy option with database dependent to prepare your cluster again!

Regards

Anwer Waseem

paulo_sousa3
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Anwer,

thank you by your answer. As SQL Tools are not supported for NW SR3, I used "Database Instance" option of the "modified installation master dvd" and it worked fine.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

There are many conclusion in your question but you can take the restore approach to your newly cluster server if your DB and SAP SID has same in both cluster. no worry about the DB and OS versions.

If your new cluster not prepared then there are different steps should be taken to build your cluster with the old data.

Let me knwo the status then i will provide you steps to build your cluster with the old data.

Regards

Anwer Waseem