cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Valuated and Non-valuated project stock in same SAP system

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

Can we operate with the system where projects are with valuated and non-valuated project stock at the same time. If yes, are there any precautions we need to take before doing this.

Currently we are changing to 'valuated project stock' from 'non-valuated project stock' due to advantages of 'valuated project stock'. But since we are implementing this change in already stable system where projects are running with 'non-valuated project stock'. Please suggest of there are any complication with this.

Thanks in advance !

Regards

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mahendra Dighe,

Use either of One only as suggested by Muzamil.

Else you can have two project profile with valuated and non-valuated project stock.

Thanks,

PSR

virendra_pal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Muzamil and PSR

I guess it is pretty obvious that in project profile we can only use one option.

The question as I see it is -

I am now changing my project profile from non valuated project stock to project stock. For new projects created after the profile is changed there are no issues. What happens to the old projects? How does the system behave for the exisitng projects? Is there any complication? etc . . .

Note - In the scenario I have outlined both "non valuated project stock" and "valuated project stock" projects are in the system at the same time.

Regards

Virendra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Virendra for maknig it more simple to understand. Now I will be adopting valauted proejct stock for new projects. But still I will have existing projects running with 'non-valuated stock'. Can there be any complications or inconsistencies for current projects.

Regards,

mahendra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

yes you have to use Non-Valuated Project stock for the old projects as you cant change this after saving the project and create New projects with Valuated Project stock.

There will be no issues in Using both.

Muzamil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Virendra Pal,

Sorry for the belated repsonse, as I have limited or no access.

Thanks for your correction to understand members requirement properly.

I am bit confused here, if we change the profile midst of the projects, how the system behaves with old projects which are created with old values in project profile. Will it have any affect on Controlliing and logistics point of when we change the profile?.

Correct me If I am wrong, I remember long ago, in our forum same kind of discussion has gone into and many of the users have suggested to use two different profiles so that old project will remain with old project profile and new project would be set up with new project project profile.

Thanks,

PSR

Edited by: PSR on Jan 26, 2010 9:21 PM

nitin_patoliya
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As muzamil has pointed,

It will not make any diff. if you are also changing project profile. Once we save project option of charing stock will grey out. So. old project will stay with non-valuated stock and new with valuated stock.

But I still recommend if possible crate new project profile so, it will be good from Project tracking perspective.

With Regards

Nitin P.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I agree with you Nitin.

My question was related whether there can be any inconsistency in the system if I am using both the proejct profiles simultenously in the system.

For example: In case of Purchase orders for valuated project stock will have balance sheet G/L account determined while for same material used in non-valuated project stock will have a P&L consumption account determined.

Does this process will continue without any inconsistency ?

Regards,

Mahendra

nitin_patoliya
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I have not worked on this kind. But my take on this is that there should not be any sort of consistancy because system is going to check that with refrence to which cost object PR/ PO is created in that cost object what is values of that Radio button, i.e stock irrespective of Project profile what is value....

Stil I suggest,

But better to keep separate, It is like that something we are having doubt and still create mistake if you are going to use the same. ( Knowingly we should not test poision just for checking the bottle is correctly labbled )

With Regards

Niitn P.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Nitin for reply.

The first para of your reply gives me confidence but second is giving me some shivering in already cold whether !

I think SAP does give option to choose the valuated or non-valuated stock irrespective whether project is for same company and plant or not. This does signify that it should not have any problem.

My customer wanted to improve their current functional process by choosing valuated project stock for the new projects he is going to create to get the visiblity of stock lying on shop floor which is unused and use the 'requirement grouping' functionality.

Till date in my testing, I have not faced an issue as both projects are running hassle free. Only thing, I just wanted to check if any of our friend has encountered this situation before and had any issue about it. I was hoping if there is someone who has tested this poison :). May be I am the first who is going to test it, hope I will be alive to tell you the taste

ANyway thanks all of you for your replies. If somebody still has something to discuss, we can continue on this.I am missing Virendra's pin-pointed reply to this :).

Regards,

Mahendra

Former Member
0 Kudos

I know this thread has been marked as "answered", but I just wanted to add my two cents anyway. The project profile values / settings are "literally" copied into the project. So, if you make changes to the project profile after creating a project, the project is not impacted by whatsoever changes you make to the project profile itself(it's different if you make a change to the investment profile or any other profile specified in the project profile itself).

So, you should be fine with your valuated and non-valuated projects co-existing in the same system, although I would copy and create a new project profile, just to help a helpdesk guy (if it's not you) clearly understand which profile your valuated vs non-valuated projects are coming from.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Muralidhar Lanka,

Thanks for your time and efforts to share your thoughts with all of us. Hope you will not mind, did you done this kind of changes to profiles midst of the project in the past? or its your guess.

Because, many times these kind of questions comes from business to change, but we are not sure how it will affect the existing as well new projects. In such circumstances, normally we politely propose to go with two profiles rather changing the existing one since we are not sure of how it will affect.

It would be great help to all of us if you can share your experiences how the goods movement and value flows have taken in system for old projects and new projects. What kind of changes you could notice after changing profile in terms of .. a few of them

1. Goods movement

2. Consumption of production orders and internal order.

3. Settlement and RA (customer projects/ investment projects)

4. POC calcualtion of projects

I am sorry if you find my questions are silly and not worth to answer, please disregard.

Looking forward to hear from you at your convenient time.

Thanks,

PSR

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Virendar Pal,

My sincere apologize to you for posting a question on closed thread. Hope this will not happen in future.

Thanks,

PSR

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi PSR,

There is nothing to mind and we are all here trying to solve each other's problems. I have dealt with changing the project profile in the context of settlement / RA and a few other business transactions, but not with material consumption, goods movement or POC. I have been involved with this scenario only a few times and we have always made a decision to create a new profile whenever there were significant changes to the profile, so as to have a clear history of changes.

And that was my suggestion too (to create a new profile), but I was stating on a general note that the profile is copied into the project - I do agree with the risk of some transactions looking at the project profile (can't comment much on that, since I haven't come across such an issue, but there is always the risk of the unknown).

Hope that clarifies things from my previous post.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Use any one of the two options and default in project profile .

I think we can only one option at a time for a project.

Muzamil