cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP PI Installation on Stand alone machine

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks to one and all for having such a nice forum as it has answer to all the questions which I have posted.

I have been given a very interesting work for anlying if SAP PI could be installed on a standalone machine without having any SAP box. My requirement is to install SAP PI tool for non SAP integration.

I will distribute my question in 2 parts

1. Can I install SAP PI in a stand alone desktop?

2. Is is important to have a SAP R/3 system to install SAP PI tool?

Please do share your thoughts and if possible please share the document which could be used as proof.

Thanks in advance.

Gautam

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member200962
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
1. Can I install SAP PI in a stand alone desktop?

Yes.

2. Is is important to have a SAP R/3 system to install SAP PI tool?

No.

If you are trying to install 7.1 then have a look at the video blog (easily available on SDN) for the same....will help you.

Regards,

Abhishek.

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Gautam,

> 1. Can I install SAP PI in a stand alone desktop?

Yes You can install in stand alone desktop.

> 2. Is is important to have a SAP R/3 system to install SAP PI tool?

SAP R/3 not required at all.

Regards,

Raj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Raj.

Could you please share some more information, how to do it. Or if you can share any document. It will be a great help for me to go fwd. and send the proposal.

Thanks

Gautam

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Gautam,

You Desktop should have Microsoft Server 2000/2003 Version,1+ GB RAM,160 GB Hard disk system configuration enough.

Coming to instaltion,you should have PI product(may be you can contact SAP for the same) with you.

The instalation Process Will take some time(12 hours)if you not familair with installtion,better to talk with Basis people in your compnay,they should follow post inasalltion steps.

Regards,

Raj

former_member200962
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What document are you looking at?

Is it the installation guide: /people/peter.gutsche/blog/2008/11/11/quickly-install-configure-and-run-sap-netweaver-pi-71 (for SAP PI7.1)

or the one which tells SAP R3 is not required for installaing SAP PI?

Regards,

Abhishek.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Abhishek.

I am look for any kind of document, which can help me in knowing that SAP PI

1. Can be installe don stand alone machine?

2. This stand alone machine will be used for ppl who are not familier to SAP PI and can understand the system before working on the actual enviroment?

Thanks you in advance.

Guatam

former_member200962
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes we can do so....you seem to setting up a training server....in our orgamization we have an internal server for PI which is set on a desktop and is not connected to any SAP R3 system....just that people dont have acces to the machine...they should be given access to the PI components.

Regards,

Abhishek.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes Abhishek..you are very corret. We want to have a training server which will not be connected to any SAP R/3 system and can be used by the ppl those are not having an acces to SAP PI development enviroment. Could you please share the prequesit of the same like

1. How to install the SAP PI server?

2. Is it important to involv BASIS tema for installtion the server?

3. What all system we need to install this kind of tarning server?

This will really help me in putting up the proposal.

Thanks in advance.

Gautam

former_member200962
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Refer the blog link given in one of my previous replies....it will guide you through all the needs

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Abhishek.

For all the information shared. Just wanted to know if one needs a seprate licence for the installing this training server.

Thanks

Gautam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes you need a license key. After installation you have a 30 days valid temporary license. After that you have to register the system in SMP and request a permanent license key or a new temporary license key, which will again be valid for 30 days.

Regards,

Volker

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Volkar,

Thanks for the information.

I was wondering if there is any site where I can down load the trial version. If there is any show stopper event which should be taken care.

Thanks in advance.

Gautam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

As far as I know for PI there is no real trial and/or sneek preview version. You have to use standard installation material to install a PI and thus you have the normal SAP license handling.

Please note that in newer versions of SAP NetWeaver there is no chance to install it on a 32Bit OS. You need a machine with 64Bit OS.

Regards,

Volker