cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Production Server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Gurus,

My prodcution server went down unusually this morning . I want to find the log , why it went down .

The backup was happening and completed 77% , there after suddently the server got shut down / hang .

Can you give the tips to check the logs for the same and the reason for unusuall shut down.

Pls reply . it is very urgnet and important .

Thanks in advance,

Rahul.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rahul,

for reasons on abnormal shutdown of your database/server...check the OS, DB and SAP logs.

There might be other reasons too (hardware failure on cluster machines etc)

This is not a pure SAP related issue, first you might have to look into all the logs.

But i can help you in giving two notes to start/recover your database during abnormal shutdowns

SAP Note: 4161

SAP Note: 4162

Regards,

Nick Loy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rajesh,

Backup type was FULL Database online + Redolog backup .

This happening for third time during backup in last two months . Uptill night 11.23 in night the backup was happeningand completed 80% shown in the backup log , when in the morning i checked the Server was down .

Then my colegue restared the Server manually, and I started the oracle listner service and SAP Application.

Tthis was what heppend .

Kindly help us to solve the issue .

With warm Regards,

Rahul.

hannes_kuehnemund
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Rahul,

I strongly suggest that you open a OSS customer call at SAP, maybe on BC-DB-<dbtype>

The forum is not the right place for such an issue.

Thanks,

Hannes

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shroff,

Thank you for your reply , but i need to elaobrate it .

During the online Backup process the Server went down or you can say to sleep , but the backup was completed till 80% , and to restart the server a person need to start it manually which is quite austinishing .

After manual restart the oracle lisner and sap application get started in very few minutes.

Can you just help me in finiding the reason of the same where n what can be the issue .

Thanks in advance.

Rahul.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

What kind of backup was running at that event ? I mean is it offline backup ?

If it was a OFFLINE backup then probably your backup took long time to complete by some reason, and at that moment you start the system manually. Your impression was that the system was down, but in fact backup was running in the background.

So when you start the system manually, backup was terminated and system got up.

You can check the backup log to see what happened when system went down. I may gives you some clue for the reason.

Can you post your last backup log from your sapbackup directory ?

Also please go through the system logs. For example /var/log/messages and database log AlertSID.log

Regards.

Rajesh Narkhede

former_member524429
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rahul,

Please provide me the following log entries for the duration between 11:00 PM @Day1and 9:00 AM @Day2.

1. your Operating System log (located at /var/logs/ location)

2. developer trace of dev_w0, dev_w1, dev_disp, dev_msg (located at /usr/sap/<SID>/DVEBMGS00/work)

3. log entries from alert<dbsid>.log( located at /oracle/<DBSID>/saptrace/background/)

Regards,

Bhavik G. Shroff

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Gurus,

Pls find the log details for the same .

20-JAN-2010 17:28:28 * (CONNECT_DATA=(SID=CBP)(GLOBAL_NAME=CBP.WORLD)(CID=(PROGRAM=tp)(HOST=sapprdsvr)(USER=cbpadm))) * (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=192.168.10.20)(PORT=32888)) * establish * CBP * 0

20-JAN-2010 17:28:28 * (CONNECT_DATA=(SID=CBP)(GLOBAL_NAME=CBP.WORLD)(CID=(PROGRAM=R3trans)(HOST=sapprdsvr)(USER=cbpadm))) * (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=192.168.10.20)(PORT=32889)) * establish * CBP * 0

20-JAN-2010 17:28:33 * (CONNECT_DATA=(SID=CBP)(GLOBAL_NAME=CBP.WORLD)(CID=(PROGRAM=R3trans)(HOST=sapprdsvr)(USER=cbpadm))) * (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=192.168.10.20)(PORT=32890)) * establish * CBP * 0

20-JAN-2010 17:35:39 * (CONNECT_DATA=(SID=CBP)(GLOBAL_NAME=CBP.WORLD)(CID=(PROGRAM=tp@sapprdsvr)(HOST=sapprdsvr)(USER=cbpadm))) * (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=192.168.10.20)(PORT=46446)) * establish * CBP * 0

20-JAN-2010 17:35:39 * (CONNECT_DATA=(SID=CBP)(GLOBAL_NAME=CBP.WORLD)(CID=(PROGRAM=R3trans)(HOST=sapprdsvr)(USER=cbpadm))) * (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=192.168.10.20)(PORT=46447)) * establish * CBP * 0

20-JAN-2010 17:35:44 * (CONNECT_DATA=(SID=CBP)(GLOBAL_NAME=CBP.WORLD)(CID=(PROGRAM=tp)(HOST=sapprdsvr)(USER=cbpadm))) * (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=192.168.10.20)(PORT=46449)) * establish * CBP * 0

20-JAN-2010 17:35:51 * (CONNECT_DATA=(SID=CBP)(GLOBAL_NAME=CBP.WORLD)(CID=(PROGRAM=tp)(HOST=sapprdsvr)(USER=cbpadm))) * (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=192.168.10.20)(PORT=46450)) * establish * CBP * 0

20-JAN-2010 17:35:58 * (CONNECT_DATA=(SID=CBP)(GLOBAL_NAME=CBP.WORLD)(CID=(PROGRAM=R3trans)(HOST=sapprdsvr)(USER=cbpadm))) * (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=192.168.10.20)(PORT=46452)) * establish * CBP * 0

Pls reply...

Regards,

Rahul.

former_member524429
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Which Database ur prd system is having?

You can evaluate the trace logs of work-processes of ur Prd system at /usr/sap/<SID>/DVEBMGS00/work directory.

such as dev_w0, dev_w1,,,,,dev_disp,etc..etc..

Database Connection is Ok ?

Wt is the Database Instance status ?

If you are using Oracle then also evaluate alert<dbsid>.log located at /oracle/<DBSID>/saptrace/background/

If you are using DB2 UDB then evaluate db2diag.log located at /db2/<dbsid>/db2dump/

Also check at Process levels.

Also check at Operating System Logs.

Regards,

Bhavik G. Shroff