cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we create a link repository here in SDN for Articles/Blogs/... ?

mick_pichaloff2
Explorer
0 Kudos

G'day guys,

Is there a ways to create a repository of links within SDN for my userid?

I find articles/Blogs/Wiki's/.. etc that I want to come bacl to over and pver again, but the only options I see is the "Permalink" along with my Browser Bookmarks/Favourites.

Would it not be nicer to be able to log into SDN and navigate to your profile and have an area that has all your links to your "Found" and "want to keep" references?

Just a uggestion.

Comments?

Cheers,

Mick.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

A few tips:

For forum posts, you can use the "Watch this thread" option. Default is 90 days for a post you respond to. You can manage this via the "Your watches" in the "control pannel" but if you have many posts then accessing it can be a challenge. You can also do this without posting to the thread.

For blogs, you can choose the "Notify me of new comments..." option. You cannot do this without posting a comment, and if you post "asdf" then........

For wikis, you can activate a mail watch for changes. You can also do this without contributing to the wiki.

These three will send a mail to the primary ID saved in your profile, so you can read and react as soon as you read the mail.

An indirect "favourites" option is to go to the SDN Business Card of the author and add then as one of your favourites. When you want to check what they are up to, you can navigate to your own Business Card and then pick and choose the favourite user to see whether there is something new.

Some users have activated (not default) the "Watch this user" option in their profile. You can choose this, and it will send you a mail.

RSS feeds and watching twitter groups is another popular way.

If you are adventurous then you can also play around with the parameters of the search engine and save a constructed URL for some special terms which interest you. Search around a bit and watch the URL, the parameters and how it is overwritten, and then add the parameters back to tune it and save as a favourite /bookmark.

Personally, I use all of these - depending on the term.

Cheers,

Julius

mick_pichaloff2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks Julius,

It still seems cumbersome, but it is what it is.

Cheers,

Mick.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Once you build it as you go, then it works okay. You need to remain active, then it takes off if you choose the various watches carefully. You get reminders and can cancel again as you go along as well. That goes for all options - in twitter you need to be particularly strict and avoid ALL twitter apps and other monsters!!

If I find a way to check articles then I will let you know. I think it is only available to Trexosaurus (and possibly google). Not sure though..

Cheers,

Julius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Darn! You closed the thread...

I still wanted to tell you about Nostradamus...

Use the search - and also see the yellow '!' triangle. This is very usefull for us moderators who cannot be everywhere all the time, nor as fast as the cummulative sum of all SDN contributors.

Cheers,

Julius

marilyn_pratt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It is cumbersome I agree. When we first began the Developer Network we experimented with all kinds of "my views" . I think with the advent of RSS feeds those kind of endeavors were dropped. It would be good to hear more voices weigh in on how they personalize or like to see personalization of content. I do a good deal of that through external tools. Wonder whether there are those that use things as simple as Digg

Former Member
0 Kudos

Personally I don't find it cumbersome if you are active anyway. Then you already are on the inside.

If you are not active, then you need to use RSS or external tools. But you still need to read them - there is no medication for that.

Additionally, the more tools you want to support for the non-contributors... the weaker the authentication and generic access to the source of the information becomes.

Go figure what happens to the source eventually.....

The watermarks were a cool idea against low-brainers... but not really scalable against downloads of static blogs.

Being a bit pick&choosy, having partners and monitoring the API does have it's advantages in my opinion.

Cheers,

Julius

Answers (0)