cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTP Interruption creates 0 byte file

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

When I use a receiver file adapter to send an .xml file to an FTP server I will occassionally get a 0 byte file. When I look in RTWB I see that the file initially failed and then succeeded on the first retry. Since I am using a time stamp on the file, the file name changes and does not overwrite the 0 byte file. How can I have PI clear up the old 0 byte file.

I believe using Put File: "Use Temporary File" will allow me to use a .tmp file but I'll still have a bad 0 byte file in the folder. It will just be easier to recognize.

Thanks,

Matt

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can below thing be useful?

Select Handling of Empty Messages:

○ Write Empty File

An empty file (length 0 bytes) is put in the target directory.

○ Ignore

No file is put in the target directory.

Help Link:

[http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_04/helpdata/EN/bc/bb79d6061007419a081e58cbeaaf28/content.htm]

-Gouri

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I found the answer to my own questions. The link Gouri provided explains the Temp File Name Scheme as:

You can specify a naming scheme for the temporary file under Temporary File Name Scheme.

This scheme is used to determine the prefix and extension of the temporary file; to ensure a unique file name, the message ID is also added to the name during processing.

I will use this feature to solve my problem.

Thanks,

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

Using temporary file name is the best option however in your post you said you dont want to use it.

Any way, just try and let us know the results.

-Gouri

Former Member
0 Kudos

Gouri - The problem with this idea is that the file contains data. But when the connection fails during the delivery the file is corrupted and therefor 0 bytes. So "Ignore empty files" does not seem likely to stop this from happening. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I am interested in trying the .tmp files because at least it will prevent the file from appearing as a completed file. But what happens if PI sends 3 documents at the same time. Does this present a problem for a file adapter using a temp file?

Thanks,

Matt