cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excessive reads affecting SAP ECC 6 performance post upgrade.

Former Member
0 Kudos

We just recently upgraded SAP to ECC 6, r2. We are using Windows Server OS 2000 for both database and application servers, and SQL Server 2000 sp4 is the DBMS. While the SAP application is performing its work and producing results, it is taking longer to complete and thus the perception is that this new version of SAP is not working!

I say 'excessive reads' because when you look at the transaction load via SM66, there are many more sequential reads occurring than were occurring before the upgrade.

Help Please as I just heard a person ask if we could roll back to 4.6c. Any suggestions are most appreciated.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Carla,

I suppose you have done all the necessary stuff like update statistics. Please check note 155413 and analyze the statements. The step from 4.6c to ECC6.0 is not only big, it is huge (concerning changes within the application), so the perception of your users is not that wrong. You are running the latest version from SAP on the oldest supported versions from Microsoft - that doesn't really make sense. A quick gain would be an upgrade to SQL Server 2005 (better optimizer, better tools,...). If this really affects your production environment, open a call at SAP.

Sven

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sven,

Thank you for your reply. We are on a path to upgrading both SQL Server and Windows but the business could not handle the downtime associated with doing it all at once. So we are in this configuration for as short a time as possible but in the meantime the users are being impacted by this performance issue.

I will update the stats for SQL Server and let you know if that mitigates the issue.

Carla