Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LinkedIn intergation in SCN

MarcelRabe
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

I tried to link my LinkedIn account to my SCN profile but the link doesn't work. Via https://secure.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/updateprofile I added the SAP Community Bio application into LinkedIn (http://www.linkedin.com/opensocialInstallation/preview?_ch_panel_id=1&_applicationId=2600) and the next step is to connect LinkedIn to SCN, but the link behind the button (https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/webcontent/uuid/10d53d2e-501e-2c10-f39e-89f9868f4652) is invalid.

Any ideas?

Marcel

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

kesavadas_thekkillath
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Try it in Google chrome or firefox.

in IE Sometimes it creates problem.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Im doing this in google chrome and does not work... please help, are there instructions on the website, it is not clear how to link the two.

Answers (8)

Answers (8)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

I have the same issue, I tried all the possible solutions mentioned here but without result.

In my point of view this is a bug.

I hope the developper can have a look at it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I saw the business card panel changed. Before people had the option to activate Linkedin import from their business card.

The option is not here anymore. There is just a field with linkedin URL but there is no activation option anymore.

It looks like the developers missed it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Unfortunately this feature is not working for me either -for quite a long time!

Let's all vote for the solution of this bug as mentioned above, from the following link:

https://ideas.sap.com/ideas/2142

former_member181931
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello everyone,

Please see my update in [this other thread|].

Regards,

Laure

(SCN Team)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Folks ,

I too am facing the same issue over Llnked IN and SDN integration. I have tried doing the same over IE and Firefox ant at different locations but still no luck. I have read through all the suggestions on this forum and have followed ll the suggested steps, but its still a no go.

I even raised tickets with both Linked in and SDN folks, but they seem to be clueless about the issue, and are pinning the onus on each other.

There seems to be a major bug in integration between Linked In and SDN.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Anyone getting this to work? Looked like a complicated application. I am going circle and still

"There was a problem validating your SAP account. You may need to enable the LinkedIn integration on your SCN business card. "

Former Member
0 Kudos

I also have the same problem, tried everything here, but nothing helps ...

Zoran Popovic.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have the same problem with Chome and IE, from various locations.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just some additional info.

I was using my partner/SAP Marketplace ID to synch. In the past, I have registered for an SAP personal account.

Have tried these

WinXp - IE, Chrome, FF

Win7 64 bit - IE, Chrome, FF

Mac OSX - Safari and FF

Ubuntu - FF

All failed. My guess is, this has something to do with the type of ID I use to logon instead of OS or internet browser.

Also, how do you get 100% profile completeness (at the bottom of the profile page) ? I only managed to get 90%. Could that be the culprit?

Edited by: Kay Liew on Oct 9, 2010 3:32 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

After reading all of the posts in this thread and trying all of the suggestions ...still no joy so this problem remains open.

If anyone can shed some light on what is happening it would be very helpfull.

is the problem a combination of SAP SCN and Linkedin. or just one of the parties ?

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm in the same boat - "There was a problem validating your SAP account. You may need to enable the LinkedIn integration on your SCN business card. "

Everything is enabled/visible, tried the token from authorization page (hEjIi6ao9Z810eKN0cN6cQ%3D%3D), tried the LinkedIn profile link, two different browsers (IE and FF), cleared cookies - nothing works.

Just started looking for a new job and thought I'd pimp up my LinkedIn page, but no such luck...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Did you change your SDN password?

Perhaps this API is not anonymous for all account-types? LinkedIn claims the password is only used for validation (fair enough) but if you have subsequently merged accounts of do not have a unique ID (the mail addersses?) then it goes AWOL?

Generally such API's tend to use the mail ID, so if you change it on that end or here on SDN (more likely) then it doesn't work. Just a guess though.

Personally I have also only done the inital load and it does not work since, so was waiting for someone else to fix it because I wasn't looking for a job.

Lazy me. Shame on me

Cheers,

Julius

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Julius, thanks for a reply. I had to change my SDN password at some point, but it was quite a while ago. I'm using the S number to logon to SDN. There was some technical issue with my account when I changed the employers (and S#) in 2008 and somehow ended up with two accounts that had to be merged (actually you were the one helping me with this, if memory serves).

Maybe some more information on how LinkedIn connects to the SDN account and what's involved in authentication would be helpful. So far it seems that the mysterious 'token' is the key to everything, but it's clearly not working for so many people.

I do use different email on LinkedIn than on SDN. If it's expected to be the same and the thingy wouldn't work otherwise then it's pretty lame not a good design IMHO...

Former Member
0 Kudos

I don't know what the API looks like, but I would guess that there is some input validation beyond the LinkedIn "token". Linked in must at least save this and an attribute to the "token" might include some user specific attributes.

Did you change your display name?

This is reaonable, so I suspect that when you change the mail ID (for which you need to "own" the account) then they don't interact with each other.

If you combine this with API's which don't clear obsolete data when re-installing connections and "buffered" data on the client and various server sides, then all sorts of things happen unexpectedly.

Sorry, I am discretely ranting now and don't know where the real integration problem is, other than it does not work from the UI.

Cheers,

Julius

Edited by: Julius Bussche on Aug 24, 2010 9:04 PM

More speculation added.

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is so frustrating....I tried everything without any luck.

I can't understand why they haven't addressed this issue yet since it was raised in May?

UPDATE:

I have sent an email to sdn@sap.com and asked them when this issue is likely to be resolved.

Edited by: Rim Geurts on Aug 13, 2010 10:52 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Was this post actually answered?

I'm using firefox, I've cleared my cache, and I've tried all sorts of different linkedin URL versions (and yes, it is set to visible), nothing is working. Does this work for anyone?

marilyn_pratt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This does not appear to have been resolved.

So frustratingly it is working for some folks but not for others.

sam_bayer
Participant
0 Kudos

You can count me amongst the frustrated that can't make this work

Sam

marilyn_pratt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Really sorry Sam. We should either ensure that it works or remove it IMHO

Pulling others back to this conversation.

woutdejong
Participant
0 Kudos

Marilyn, I wholeheartedly agree with that. Such a high profile integration should always work; now it's way too buggy which adversely affects SAP's reputation...

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I had no problems with mine and wrote a blog when it was first launched on how to do it.

[Read the blog|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/16196] [original link is broken];

fixed the hyperlink Edited by: Marilyn Pratt on Mar 3, 2010 5:43 PM

former_member181931
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Kevin, this should be helpful. Please fix your hyperlink, remove "enjoy"

marilyn_pratt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I've updated Kevin's link, but I noticed that the blog refers to the "old" version of the business card and from a graphical perspective might be a tad confusing. I'm also wondering if folks will see that the link to LinkedIn is not editable and isn't clickable once embedded. It now is found under the tab called "your account" when going to "update profile" and not in the business card.

It's the last field in "your account" at the bottom of the page.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have been trying to do the same but LinkedIn profile gives me this error message "There was a problem validating your SAP account. You may need to enable the LinkedIn integration on your SCN business card."

I have tried clicking the unique identification code given by SAP Community Bio Authorization but it does not work

Any suggestions?

woutdejong
Participant
0 Kudos

Same problem as VG's when I click the SAP COmmunity Bio link. I tried IE8 and Firefox 3.6.3.

As Marilyn described, I see a Linkedin User Token field in the YOUR ACCOUNT tab of my profile. What should be in there?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Same issue. Solved to me. Make these steps:

- Log on to SCN

- On the top menu, My Profile -> Update Profile Bussiness Card

- Click on Bussiness Card button

- Click on Edit button

- On the LinkedIn box click on the small button with words "hidden", wich make it "visible".

- Repeat the step below for "Community" tab on fields "My contributions"

I'm also put my linkedln personal url on the User Token SCN field. In fact, I think this step is irrelevant, but I haven't tested.

Hope this help.

Regards,

Alexandre

woutdejong
Participant
0 Kudos

Still does not work (linkedin was already on visibile; I don't see anything linkedin related on the communities tab, should there be???).

Linkedin keeps on saying:

There was a problem validating your SAP account. You may need to enable the LinkedIn integration on your SCN business card.

Former Member
0 Kudos

No, there's nothing related to linkedin on community tab. In my case I just make visible the "My contributions" and "My relation to SAP", but again, I'm not shure this is the real solution.

I just have see the User Token field and the linkedin personal URL was updated on my profile after my sucessfull activation.

Regards,

Alexandre

woutdejong
Participant
0 Kudos

Hmm, I added data to the linkedin url field. And then deleted it, but still no integration possible. I'm pretty much lost here.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm also put my linkedln personal url on the User Token SCN field. In fact, I think this step is irrelevant, but I haven't tested.

Wout, I think Alexandre hit the nail on the head with the statement above. I has such a headache with this a few weeks back when I was trying to set this up. I added my LinkedIn personal URL (as it appears on LinkedIn) in the LinkedIn User Token field on SCN profile page, saved changes, still it didn't work...

What you need to do after saving this change is to close all browsers (if you have many open) to clear browser cache, then open the browser again & try the integration again. It should work then & it will change the SCN LinkedIn User Token field (where you've put your LinkedIn personal URL) to something valid for the integration (including tokens). If it doesn't work the first time around, close browser & try again, it eventually works...

Thanks heavens you don't have to go through this process again once it's set up!

Regards, Trevor

woutdejong
Participant
0 Kudos

Trevor, I tried it multiple times from multiple PCs with multiple browsers, and still it doesn't work. This is kind of crappy.

Even the guys behind sdn@sap.com can't help me. It feels like a bug...

marilyn_pratt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm dragging the folks behind this into the fray.

Don't know who you connected with Wout but I'll reach out to Scott Lawley and to Adi Kleiman. I was thinking you might want to look at my Personal Data tab on [my business card to see the url structure.|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/bc?u=aeyyjpyvtla%3d]

Edited by: Marilyn Pratt on May 25, 2010 12:40 PM

woutdejong
Participant
0 Kudos

Marilyn, thanks. I couldn't open the .jpg (perhaps security settings on my side). Your BC looks not entirely different from my own. (I now have deleted the linkedin.com field.)

David Brannan and Anil tried to help me...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Marilyn, I've also notified Adi by virtue of a comment on her most recent blog regarding the Business Card.

@Wout:

In the meanwhile you can try...

- There's 2 places that you need to add the LinkedIn URL (as appears on LinkedIn) to get this working. The one is on the Profile Home page where it says LinkedIn Token & the other is on your business card. Save changes, close browser & then try the integration again...

Regards, Trevor

woutdejong
Participant
0 Kudos

Trevor, those 2 places point to the same field. If you update one, the other is updated as well.

PS: I put "http://nl.linkedin.com/in/woutdejong" back in...

Edited by: Wout de Jong on May 26, 2010 2:46 PM

marilyn_pratt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I know I put the entire linkedin url into the field on the business card: including with it the auth token. Wondering if that was what helped. For example: "http://www.linkedin.com/profile?viewProfile=&key=4007644&authToken=uVn8&authType=name&trk=apip1203"

I see you are using your "short url" or vanity link rather than the full one with the token. I also revisited [Kevin Wilson's helpful blog|]

woutdejong
Participant
0 Kudos

Marilyn, I used the long Linkedin URL, but to no avail. I even used your URL and changed the key and authToken fields. Still doesn't help. Any feedback from the people who build the integration-app?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Regarding to Kevin post at

My Business Card layout do not look like your example at all. There is no Linkedin activation. I do have a linkedin token url with a legit url pointing back to my lilnkedin profile. My Business Card layout has the following tabs.

• Your Account

• Business Card

• Newsletters & Communities

• Change Password

• Policies

While your example have all the information in one page and mine break down to Your Account and Business Card. Nowhere in any of those tabs have "activate linkedin"

Something may have changed recently that broke the app especially the missing "activate linkedin" piece.

Edited by: Kay Liew on Oct 9, 2010 4:12 AM

Edited by: Kay Liew on Oct 9, 2010 4:14 AM

amarnath_kathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

My case is same as Kay Liew. The tabs are completely different and I have no clue what to do to successfully integrate SCN and LinkedIN

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry, but I must say the same... Buggy feature at all.

Same problem to me..

Anyone has a clue about this? I think SAP could make a new step-by-step updated to help all users!

benjamin_houttuin
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

@All --> Please vote @ https://ideas.sap.com/ideas/2142 to get it fixed

Thanks,

Benajmin

former_member232834
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Not working at all for me in Firefox, Chrome, nor IE Does not SAP Account validate.

kavindra_joshi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

How does this work now ? I don't see any Linkedin info on my business card.

If any body know anything about this let me know.

Regards

Kavindra

former_member181931
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Marcel and jmartin9,

Have you ready [Scott Lawley's blog |http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/15824] [original link is broken]; ? It points to the same links but it might help to read the whole story about the Community Bio in LinkedIn. Also, make sure you read the comments at the bottom, it seems to work with IE.

[Sarang Deshpande |http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/bc?u=3cakzpebvy%2bidrjqqbhm2g%3d%3d] recommends to:

1/ Display your contributions points in your business card (go to My Profile in top menu, then Business Card tab) and

2/ Click on the activation link displayed at the bottom of the SCN login verification screen from the linkedin app.

Let us know if this works!

Laure

Edited by: Laure Cetin on Feb 26, 2010 6:38 PM minor edit (repetition)