Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration MSSQL 2000 to MSSQL 2008

mandreas
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello!

We run SAP ECC6.0 on MSSQL2000 with Windows 2003 (32bit) and like to migrate to MSSQL2008 with Windows 2008 (64bit).

I've installed a Win2008 Server with a new installation of SAP ECC6.0 on MSSQL2008.

During this, I couldn't deselect the field "Unicode". But our native system is a NON-UNICODE System.

Nevertheless I continued the installation and finished successfully.

After this I copied our native MSSQL2000 database (SAPNote 151603) to the new one with the same SID.

SAP do not come up by now?! Although I adapted the profiles...

Is it generally possible to migration MSSQL 2000 to MSSQL 2008 on this way?

Thanks for your advices in advance.

Michael Andreas

Edited by: Michael Andreas on Jan 19, 2010 11:50 AM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> We run SAP ECC6.0 on MSSQL2000 with Windows 2003 (32bit) and like to migrate to MSSQL2008 with Windows 2008 (64bit).

> I've installed a Win2008 Server with a new installation of SAP ECC6.0 on MSSQL2008.

Why did you install a complete system?

> During this, I couldn't deselect the field "Unicode". But our native system is a NON-UNICODE System.

Yes, since the DVDs for Windows 2008 don't allow any more the installation of a non-unicode system.

> Nevertheless I continued the installation and finished successfully.

> After this I copied our native MSSQL2000 database (SAPNote 151603) to the new one with the same SID.

> SAP do not come up by now?! Although I adapted the profiles...

Install a non-Unicode kernel (download SAPEXE + SAPEXEDB and update the full kernel).

> Is it generally possible to migration MSSQL 2000 to MSSQL 2008 on this way?

Did you run the STM tools? Followed the guides

http://service.sap.com/instguides

--> Database upgrades

Markus

mandreas
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Markus!

I installed a new system (TS1), because we wanted to go on Windows 2008. So I installed a 'naked' SAP ECC6.0 with a new database version MSSQL2008.

After this I restored our nativ DEV via DBCopy (SAPNote 151603) to the new one (TS1).

So far so good.

Thank you for the hint to copy the non-Unicode kernel. As there was replaced, SAP came up and runs fine.

But, what does SAP say to this solution???

Is TS1 now an NON-UNICON or a "FAKE" NON-UNICON System??

How does the installed SAP and DB behave to have a NON-UNICON Instance now?!

Due to SAP PAM it seems to be granted.

Do you have more informations?

Best

Michael

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Thank you for the hint to copy the non-Unicode kernel. As there was replaced, SAP came up and runs fine.

Good!

> But, what does SAP say to this solution???

> Is TS1 now an NON-UNICON or a "FAKE" NON-UNICON System??

> How does the installed SAP and DB behave to have a NON-UNICON Instance now?!

The only difference between a Unicode and Non-Unicode installation (technically) is the extracted kernel. You could even put the non-Unicode SAPEXE and SAPEXEDB in the original folders of the Unicode kernel (with the same name).

The database installation itself is not affected as long as the correct collation is used (which is since you did a new installation).

Markus

Answers (0)