cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tools for Developing Rich Web Applications

Former Member
0 Kudos

What tools are others using to Develop Web applications

against BW 3.5? I have a few years of experience developing web applications using Visual Studio .NET and C#, but the .net PDK is not an option in our current environment.

I was thinking that writing jsp's would give me the flexibility I needed to develop Rich web applications, but being new to SAP BW I am not sure.

I am looking for tools in which I can control result sets, write logical code based on users information to filter and return data.

Please list technologies and Languages.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rich,

Thanks for that information. One reason I posted this question is because SAP has so many tools. The issue that we are facing is getting our web applications to pass usibililty testing because of the UI. Our users are not familiar with SAP's vairable screens for Web Application Designer. We are left with trying to design custom UI's to meet their needs.

I am thinking that JSP are the way to go. Just want to get input from others who have been down this path. I not familiar with ABAP programming and our ABAP programmers are not familiar with Web programming.

Thanks

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Interesting. If you have a java shop, then JSP would be the way to go. If doing BSP, you would have to be fairly familiar with web technolgies, with WebDynpro(ABAP) not so much. WDA provides a layer of abtraction. ABAPers can now create robust web applications with very little knowlegde of underlying web technologies. This is the beauty of WebDynpro, java or abap.

Welcome to SDN!

Regards,

Rich Heilman

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Hi Jimmy. As it relates to SAP, you can use a couple different technologies. JSP on the java side, or BSP on the ABAP side will allow you to do pretty much anything you want. It allows you to use HTML and javascript and also HTMLB. You could also use Web Dynpro. Web Dynpro is SAP's new UI strategy. It is designed to help you create business transactions, so the UI elements are stardard and cannot be modified. But its cool, because you drag/drop your ui elements in the layout. Web Dynpro allows you to create robust web applications without coding the UI and allows you to focus on the business logic. Of course there is some coding to handle UI, and flow, but not as much as when you are developing JSP or BSP.

Regards,

Rich Heilman