Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain Functionalities for SAP Applications

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have 2 questions:

1) what are the benefits from joining SAP Applications to domain ( on operating system level)

2) I have SAP Applications that are installed on Linux and the domain is windows 2003, is it useful to add them to the domain or we have to change it to Linux domain

Regards,

Nadia

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> 1) what are the benefits from joining SAP Applications to domain ( on operating system level)

You can use all services the domain provides (user authentication, print servers etc.)

> 2) I have SAP Applications that are installed on Linux and the domain is windows 2003, is it useful to add them to the domain or we have to change it to Linux domain

Linux/Unix is implemented differently and has no direct relation to Windows active directory.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

Can you explain in a more detailed level.

Is the domain usage necessary in the production system or not?

Regards,

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Can you explain in a more detailed level.

Explain what?

A Windows domain authenticates users centrally and provides services (such as print services) that can only be used by members of the domain. That's why a SAP installation should be done in a domain if you want to use those services.

> Is the domain usage necessary in the production system or not?

As of Windows 2008 only domain installations are supported, standalone installations are deprecated.

Be aware of the following:

You can not such put the server in a domain if the system is already installed. You will need to do a homogeneous system copy to do so because the complete environment of the installation changes.

See Note 1233320 - Domain migration for SAP system

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

>

>

> Explain what?

>

> A Windows domain authenticates users centrally and provides services (such as print services) that can only be used by members of the domain. That's why a SAP installation should be done in a domain if you want to use those services.

>

I mean what are the other services that domain provides to SAP

>

>

> As of Windows 2008 only domain installations are supported, standalone installations are deprecated.

>

>

The used domain is windows 2003 and SAP Systems will be installed on Linux Redhat

Regards,

Nadia