SAP for Retail Discussions
Join conversations about personalization, omnichannel strategies, and operational excellence in retail using SAP for Retail software.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP POS DM - Pros & Cons of Using BAPI or IDOC

pradeepe-07
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

My client wants to go with POS DM. We are investigating the pros and cons of using BAPI or IDOC method for posting data in to POSDM.

Could you please let me know which option(BAPI/IDOC) is best from performance point of view while posting data in to POSDM from your previous experiences.

Thanks & Regards,

Pradeep

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

stefan_scheppat
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Pradeep,

the main difference between using the IDOC or the BAPI was related to the fact that the integration layer would need to cater with any errors coming back from the BAPI where any errors inside the IDOC could be dealt with standard SAP tools available for the IDOC inbound (monitoring, re-processing, ...).

Most of the errors that would occur with the BAPI would be locking issues because of parallel processing, POS Workbench activities of users or outbound processing happening while the data arrives.

These described problems do no longer cause an issue as you can use the Inbound Queue functionality to achieve the same results with the advantages of a quicker posting and the fact that you can combine the quick insert into the database tables with the re-processing option and the system taking care of splits between multiple stores and days coming in with one posting.

As the only other critical errors I could think of are ISO-Code conversions failing I don't see the benefits of IDOCs unless there's some good reason from the integrator perspective to still use this (in combination with inbound queue to be able to utilize those advantages as well).

Regards,

Stefan

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

stefan_scheppat
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Pradeep,

the main difference between using the IDOC or the BAPI was related to the fact that the integration layer would need to cater with any errors coming back from the BAPI where any errors inside the IDOC could be dealt with standard SAP tools available for the IDOC inbound (monitoring, re-processing, ...).

Most of the errors that would occur with the BAPI would be locking issues because of parallel processing, POS Workbench activities of users or outbound processing happening while the data arrives.

These described problems do no longer cause an issue as you can use the Inbound Queue functionality to achieve the same results with the advantages of a quicker posting and the fact that you can combine the quick insert into the database tables with the re-processing option and the system taking care of splits between multiple stores and days coming in with one posting.

As the only other critical errors I could think of are ISO-Code conversions failing I don't see the benefits of IDOCs unless there's some good reason from the integrator perspective to still use this (in combination with inbound queue to be able to utilize those advantages as well).

Regards,

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

my suggestion is go with IDOC method

Regards

Damu

abhijitbolakhe
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi

What is the source for POSDM?

1) If you're using SAP POS (Triversity), then Standard XI contents are available which uses a function module ' /POSDW/CREATE_TRANSACTIONS_EXT '.

2) If you're using other POS , then go for IDOC....

Regards

Abhijit

0 Kudos

Hi ,

Can you please tell me the name of IDOC type that post data to POS DM .

As per my experiences POS DM is addon in BI system . we post data into to PIPE through BAPI or some functional module then it will generate IDOC and sent it to SAP . so in point of view BAPI is the only way to post data in POS DM

Regard,

Amit