cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a measure map to multiple fact tables

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Can A Measure in an Universe map to multiple fact tables? For example, we have sales detail table by day and store and product, and have sales summary table by day and region and (product) department. We like to create a measure to map to both detail table and summary table. When I run query includes store and product, the query will automatically use the sales detail table; and query can automatically choose the summary table when it only includes region and department. Our database table could be in Teradata and Oracle. Can we achieve it and how? If a measure can't achieve this (dimension awareness), what the other option we can have and how to do it?

Thank you,

Richard

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sion,

After I make the tables incompatible with the dimension objects on different levels, the measure can point to the right table if my query only include Store and Product or only include Region and Department. But in some scenario, the business could ask to include both Store and Region or Item and Department in same query. The current approach doesn't work on this further request. In our database, we have store table including Region with other higher level organization information, Product table including Department with other higher level product information, and we also have separated Region table and Department table. Could we make the objects more flexible u2013 query will be against aggregation sales table if dimension objects in query are only on higher level and will against detail sales table if some of dimension objects are on high level and some on low level?

Many thanks,

Richard

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes, this can be achieved using aggregate awareness in the measure and making Store and Product incompatible with the summary table, and Region and Department incompatible with the detail table.

The Designer Guide will give you further info on the syntax required.