cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sys Copy ABAP + JAVA

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have an existing ECC 6.0 production system with ABAP + JAVA and would like to copy the system to an existing standby system with ABAP and JAVA. I have been working with the sapinst procedure using the central system selection and selecting the database specific tools. This copied out only the SDM and O/S related files. Now I'm attempting to run the import on the target system and it wants to take me through the whole install procedure again stopping for the database restore. Is there an easier way to perform the database copy and then bring in the JAVA without going through the install procedure. Also if it does install again will it overwrite the instance profiles and other important information that was configured during the first install. Any help you can provide on this matter is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

any help pls....

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Here's how we do JAVA side in detail (from very recent memory, so this may by only 95%), hope this gives you a few ideas though. Traditionally, AS-JAVA is installed as such: - SAP AS-JAVA installed on top of physical server name. - SAP AS-JAVA references the database server via physical server name. Problem w/ this is that AS-JAVA is a pain when it comes to putting these physycal server names in file / db based configuration areas (e.g. visual configurator, configtool, offline config, also the *.property and *.config files). If you ever move your AS-JAVA instance from 1 place to another, you are looking at headaches after headaches. FYI: Unlike traditional AS-ABAP, where the name is referenced in (Windows O/S) = Registry, User Env Variable, Instance and Start up profiles, and TMS (all 5 places take about total 10 minutes to change - 5 minutes if you are a fast typer. ). So, how do we fix this ... trick is to install it as such: - SAP AS-JAVA installed on top of a virtual name, doesn't matter where this virtual name resides on - that's the point of DR and this install. This way, you just have to move the virtual name instead of changing 100s of parameters in AS-JAVA. - SAP AS-JAVA references the database via a (yup you guessed it) virtual name. How to do this? To install primary site: 1. First, you have to implement a secondary/spoof/virtual name on the physical server you are installing AS-JAVA on. This name must have it's own static IP, because SAP does gethostbyip and getipbyhost (lookups both ways). 2. Then, set O/S environment variable SAPINST_USE_HOSTNAME to the virtual name. 3. Install the database as you would normally, under the physical server name. It's fine, the database engine is a port to data, even if it's installed under the physical server name, it can still be referenced via the virtual/spoof name. 4. Install the correct JRE/JDK for your O/S and machine type. 5. Run SAPINST. When you go through SAPINST, you'll see that it references the install to the virtual name for both instance host and database host. Once you finish SAPINST, your AS-JAVA instance will actually be exactly what we wanted: - SAP AS-JAVA installed on top of a virtual name - SAP AS-JAVA references the database via virtual name. To install secondary site: 1. I wouldn't even bother w/ SAPINST. 2. Prep the database and JRE/JDK the same way as the primary site. 3. Don't have to set SAPINST_USE_HOSTNAME or have a virtual name. 4. However, make sure you have a secondary static IP on the secondary site. This IP won't be mapped to any virtual names. 5. Copy the entire usr\sap directory from primary to secondary, same drive and directory structure please. 6. Create the necessary sapmnt and saploc shares. 7. Create the service (e.g. Windows O/S NT Services) using sapstartsrv.exe 8. Manually create the SAP SCOL service (e.g. Windows = sc
secondaryserver create "SAPOSCOL" binpath= "drive:\usr\sap\...kernel\saposcol.exe service" 9. Change credential of SAPOSCOL to same as the SAP_SysNum service. 10. Log ship primary DB to secondary site. 11. Sync up the DB accounts on secondary site so it mirrors primary. Done and done. How to do failover (gracefully): 1. Shut down primary site AS-JAVA instance. 2. Close the primary DB and copy last tlog to secondary DB. 3. Restore last tlog to secondary DB, open secondary DB. 4. Remap the virtual name from the primary site IP to the secondary site IP. 5. Start AS-JAVA on the secondary site.

Hope this helps you,

Thanks & Regards,

Ravi.

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

from very recent memory, so this may by only 95%

I gotta feeling that is the answer that he was looking for.

tj_wilkinson2
Participant
0 Kudos

I believe the only way to perform this copy is through sapinst - an export of the ABAP database, JAVA database and SDM export - then running a copy on the target side providing all of this information. I believe it will also overwrite the profiles and other changes on the target side. Actually, I completely delete the target side first to prevent any confusion on the installation. You can save the profiles and put them back once the copy is complete.

Former Member
0 Kudos

any help please

Former Member
0 Kudos

You should go to additional life cycle components on the sapinst master. Then you will find export/import options as ur Source system is ECC 6.0 with in one shot u can copy ABAP+JAVA.

Thanks,

Siva.

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have done system copy with similar setup but I did not use any of export/import method. I used back restore procedure to built a system copy. These are main steps you need to remember(if it is UNIX).

1.Create users,filesystems with tartget instance name(as in the sorce system)

2. create instance and database(target instance name).

3.Create storage paths as in the source system(with target instance name)

4.Change the user and owner ship of paths.files and directories

5.establish all SAP(java and abap) and database filessytems(links, home directories etc)

6. Restore source database on to target database from backup source

7. Apply ner license

bring sap up and see if any any error.

it sounds bit difficult but takes 50% less time than export/import process.

Good luck.

mani

Former Member
0 Kudos

Which is the OS / DB you have. We have done a system copy with DB backup and Central instance Export ( we have distributed installaiton ).

Let me know, if this suits your requirements, i will put more details

Regards

Jose

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have few questions:

1. What do you mean by a standby system and why are you copying over to a standby ?

2. Which document are you using for system copy?

You can find the correct system copy guide :

https://websmp230.sap-ag.de/sap(bD1lbiZjPTAwMQ==)/bc/bsp/spn/guidefinder/main.htm?smpsrv=https%3a%2f...

3. What is the OS/DB combination on both the source and target? are they same?

Regards,

Siddhesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Any answers please..