cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Availability Control - Budget control at multiple levels

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts:

I have a requirement to setup Availability control so that Budget control takes place at the top-level WBS Element i.e.

lower-level WBS Elements are allowed to exceed their budget but the totals must not exceed the budget at the top level

For example:

WBS A (level 1) -> Budget $10,000

WBS B1 (level 2) -> Budget $5,000

WBS B2 (level 2) -> Budget $2,000

Now with Availability control, assuming WBS B2 spends $2500 (and maybe gets a warning), then WBS B1 can spend up to $7500 without any problems.

WBS B1 only gets an error when spending reaches $7,501.

Is this possible with availability control?

I am aware of deactivating AVAC at the lower level, but this does not mean the system monitors the extra expenditures incurred by the lower-level elements at the top-level WBS.

Right now as things stand, WBS A thinks it still has $3000 available even though lower-level WBS might have exceeded their allotments.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kealin:

Thanks.

Did AVAC check expenditure against Budget for the lower-level WBS.?

For example, in the above scenario, for WBS B1, will AVAC

(a) check against the Budget i.e. $5000 or

(b) check against the released Budget i.e. $0

My goal is to have AVAC to still work at both levels, i.e. warning at the lower level and error at the top-level.

Former Member
0 Kudos

That depends on what setting you have done for the budget profile.If you have flagged it for Releases, system will check at the time of Release only or it will check the budget at CJ30. According to your requirement, you have to set it for "Releases" only.

Your requirement of warning at lower level and error at top level cannot be maintained.

Regards,

L.Balachandar

Former Member
0 Kudos

IThanks everyone for your suggestions.

t seems AVAC cannot be configured to work differently on two levels of a Project i.e.

(a) Warning at Lower level WBS

(b) Error at top-level WBS

Does anyone know of a User-Exit or other workaround to make this achievable?

Thanks

former_member203108
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

not sure about your requirement.....but check this exit EXIT_SAPLBPFC_002 - Specification of the Action for the Availability

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

lower-level WBS Elements are allowed to exceed their budget but the totals must not exceed the budget at the top level

Yes this is possible, you just have to distribute the budget on the top level WBS only

i.e. WBS B1 and B2 don't have their own budget but they share the same budget from WBS A

when the total spending of WBS B1 + B2 exceeds $10,000 (which is the budget of WBS A) then you will get an error message

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Kealin.

I must add that I definitely need to still be able to budget for B1 and B2 according to my current requirement.

Otherwise, I agree, what you suggest will work.

Do you know any other way round this problem

virendra_pal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

in config budget profile set availability control to release

do not release any budget to lower levels

try and advise if it works

Former Member
0 Kudos

Virendra, you mean the budgeting still be done at all level but we only release the budget on top level?

It means the budget released for lower level = 0 right?

I don't think we can post any cost at lower level WBS because the system will check the cost against the released budget of lower level WBS which is 0

Well, just a thought, I haven't tried it ^^

pradeep_mahamuni
Contributor
0 Kudos

No, dont enter any value against lower level WBS in CJ32.

Just enter the value to be release in tope level WBS in Cj32.

regards,

virendra_pal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

thanks for your clarification Pradeep - that is what I meant