cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could not connect to host localhost on port 21200.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am trying to install Solution Manager 7.0 EHP1 on a RH5 Linux system running on VM Ware. The system is located in our new Data Center which is protected with a firewall. I am trying to run the installation on the Linux box and using SAPInstGui on my PC which is running Windows XP.

I log into the LINUX box as root and set my environment variables:

SAPINST_JRE_HOME='/opt/IBMJava2-amd64-142/jre/bin'

export SAPINST_JRE_HOME

JAVA_HOME='/opt/IBMJava2-amd64-142'

export JAVA_HOME

CPIC_MAX_CONV=200

export CPIC_MAX_CONV

DISPLAY='nugentd.mit.edu:0.0'

export DISPLAY

LD_LIBRARY_PATH_64=/opt/IBMJava2-amd64-142/jre/bin/j9vm:/usr/sap/SM1/SYS/exe/run

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH_64

TEMP=/sapmnt/SM1/tmp

export TEMP

TMP=/sapmnt/SM1/tmp

export TMP

TMPDIR=/sapmnt/SM1/tmp

export TMPDIR

JCE_POLICY_ZIP=/opt/IBMJava2-amd64-142/jre/jce_policy-1_4_2.zip

export JCE_POLICY_ZIP

I then change default to the MASTER DVD directory for LINUX and execute the command "./sapinst -nogui".

It starts with:

[==============================] \ extracting... done!

created: jce/

inflated: jce/local_policy.jar

inflated: jce/US_export_policy.jar

inflated: jce/README.txt

inflated: jce/COPYRIGHT.html

Starting GUIServer using:

SAPinst port : 21200

GUIServer port: 21212

HTTP port : 4239

GUI autostart : off

GUI mode : normal

command : /sapmnt/SM1/tmp/sapinst_exe.739.1263397211/jre/bin/java -Xmx256M -Dsap.env.var.javahome=SAPINST_JRE_HOME -cp /sapmnt/SM1/tmp/sapinst_exe.739.1263397211/JAR/instgui.jar SDTServer rootdir=/root/.sdtgui config=jar:sdtserver.xml guiport=21212 httpport=4239 -nolock -srvarg=/SAPinstService/host=localhost -srvarg=/SAPinstService/port=21200 guistart=off

init: retrieving account information for group sapinst...

init: retrieving account information done.

Jan 13, 2010 10:40:16 AM [Info]: *************************

Jan 13, 2010 10:40:16 AM [Info]: Starting Server

Jan 13, 2010 10:40:16 AM [Info]: Reading server configuration.

load resource pool /sapcd1/SM_7.0_EHP1_master/51036441/IM_LINUX_X86_64/resourcepool.xml

Jan 13, 2010 10:40:16 AM [Info]: Reading service configuration SAPinstService.

Jan 13, 2010 10:40:16 AM [Info]: Configuring LogManager ...

Jan 13, 2010 10:40:16 AM [Info]: *************************************************

Jan 13, 2010 10:40:16 AM [Info]: Starting SL Controller listening on port 21212 ...

Jan 13, 2010 10:40:16 AM [Info]: StorageService switched off.

Jan 13, 2010 10:40:16 AM [Info]: Initializing SecurityManager ...

guiengine: No GUI server connected; waiting for a connection on host cherry, port 21200 to continue with the installation

Jan 13, 2010 10:40:17 AM [Info]: Server certificate fingerprint is 5A 60 74 D8 F2 3C 17 7F 88 9A DD 43 8A D8 4B D7

Jan 13, 2010 10:40:17 AM [Info]: Configuring HTTPManager ...

Jan 13, 2010 10:40:17 AM [Info]: Starting WebstartService ...

Jan 13, 2010 10:40:17 AM [Info]: RoleService switched off.

Jan 13, 2010 10:40:17 AM [Info]: AlertService switched off.

Jan 13, 2010 10:40:17 AM [Info]: Starting NotesService ...

Jan 13, 2010 10:40:17 AM [Info]: Starting ProcessService ...

Jan 13, 2010 10:40:17 AM [Info]: Starting MIDService ...

Jan 13, 2010 10:40:17 AM [Info]: Starting FileService ...

Jan 13, 2010 10:40:17 AM [Info]: Starting LogService ...

Jan 13, 2010 10:40:17 AM [Info]: MailService switched off.

Jan 13, 2010 10:40:17 AM [Info]: Starting services ...

Jan 13, 2010 10:40:17 AM [Info]: Starting service "SAPinstService" ...

Jan 13, 2010 10:40:17 AM [Info]: Service "SAPinstService" started

Jan 13, 2010 10:40:17 AM [Info]: Services started.

Jan 13, 2010 10:40:18 AM [Info]: Starting HTTP server listening on port 4239 ...

Jan 13, 2010 10:40:18 AM [Info]: HTTP server started.

Jan 13, 2010 10:40:18 AM [Info]: SL Controller started.

Back on my PC, I have installed the policy files and I start up the sapinstgui with the command "sapinstgui -host <FQDN of the LINUX server>".

The sapinstgui windows start. I get notification to accept the certificate from the LINUX server which I accept. I then get the window in which the logon attempt has been done and I get the message:

Connection to SAPinst refused with the following message:

Connection to SAPinst could not be established, see following messages.

java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused

Please correct the error condition and restart.

I have verified that the sapinstgui is attaching to the correct LINUX server and using port 21212. I have been reading the threads already in this forum reporting similar errors. I have checked the values for my variables, verified the java version is correct (IBM J9 VM (build 2.3, J2RE 1.4.2 IBM J9 2.3 Linux amd64-64 j9vmxa64142ifx-20090909) and can successfuly display xclock back to my PC from the LINUX server.

The server.trc file has the error as its last statement:

Jan 13, 2010 8:23:41 AM [Error]: com.sap.sdt.sapinst.rapi.connector.SAPinstConnector [Thread[ExecuteWorker,5,main]]: Could not connect to localhost:21200. Could not connect to host localhost on port 21200.

I know I must be missing something obvious but it just is not coming to me. Anyone have any ideas what else to check / what I might be missing?

Thanks,

Deb.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You mention that this server is protected by a firewall. Have you ensured that your localhost will allow outbound traffic on that port, and have you opened that port on the server for inbound traffic?

-Zach

Former Member
0 Kudos

Zach,

Thanks for the quick response. I have asked my Operations team your questions and their response was:

The current firewall setup for all the SAP VMs is to allow all TCP traffic between 18.x.x.x and them, but deny it from everywhere else until you guys are more comfortable with the environment. After that, we'd like to clamp it down. This information is a great start for when we're ready to clamp it down at a future juncture.

If you're doing it from your desk, there should be no firewall impediments.

We do not firewall outbound traffic, only inbound.

So perhaps the firewall settings are not the problem?

Is there anywhere else I can loog (logs, trace files, etc) that might give a little more hints as to what is going on and what is wrong?

Deb.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am not sure, but can you try the below things..?

Add SAP server hostname and IP in your local computers host file (for linux /etc/hosts & for windows \windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts)

Next thing...

On sapinstgui logon screen, specify host as SAPSERVER HOSTNAME and port 21200 or 21212

As per my knowledge, your sapinstgui trying to logon to local system..( it is looking for the sapinstgui server on local pc)...

Regards.

Rajesh Narkhede

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rajesh,

Thank-you for the quick response. I have added the FQDN and the short names to the hosts files. On

my local PC, I added entries for hte Linux server. On the Linux server, I added entries for my

local PC.

In my notes here, in all cases, when I specify <FQDN for the Linux server>, the actual FQDN of the

Linux server appears in the display / log / tracefile. For security reasons, I have removed that

information from this posting.

My command for starting the sapinstgui on my local PC is:

C:\IM_WINDOWS_I386\sapinstgui.exe -host <FQDN for the Linux server> -port 21212 -accessible

When I add the entries for the ip address / FQDN and shortname to my local hosts file on my PC, I get

no connection to the server at all. I do not get prompted to accept the fingerprint certificate for

the server. So I removed those entries from my local PC's hosts file.

I then removed the host and port strings from my command for sapinstgui and tried to attach again. The

sapinstGUI then prompted me for a host / port. I entered FQDN for the Linux server and port 21200.

On the LINUX side, I could see the statements:

Jan 14, 2010 7:41:44 AM [Info]: SL Controller started.

guiengine: 2010-01-14 07:43:16 Login in progress ..............................

guiengine: 2010-01-14 07:43:46 Login timeout; the client was unable to establish a valid connection

And my sapinstGui screen on my PC showed:

Error while connecting to communication partner - see preceeding messages. Connection from host

<FQDN for the Linux server> to local port 3146 has been directly closed. java.io.EOFException

I then changed the port to 21212 and received the prompt on my local PC to accept the Linux server's

fingerprint certificate:

You established a connection to SLController.

The fingerprint of the controller's certificate is: <fingerprint>

Would you like to accept this certificate?

Which I accepted. I then get the logon error in the sapinstgui:

Connection to SAPinst could not be established, see following messages.

And within the server.trc file on the Linux server, I can see the connection error from the first attempt

(note the time stamps):

Jan 14, 2010 7:41:58 AM [Error]: com.sap.sdt.sapinst.rapi.connector.SAPinstConnector [Thread[ExecuteWorker,5,main]]: Could not connect to localhost:21200. Could not connect to host localhost on port 21200.

Jan 14, 2010 7:41:58 AM [Info]: com.sap.sdt.util.misc.Worker [Thread[SAPinst,5,main]]: Exiting due to stop mark.

I have now removed the entries in the hosts files on both my PC and on the Linux server.

Deb Nugent.

hannes_kuehnemund
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Deb,

start an xserver with vnc on RHEL, connect via vncviewer to the xserver and run the installation problem there. Then you could potentially close vnc and resume the session the next day. As SAP installations tend to run sometime longer than a working day, especially when loading tons of GB into a database, the vnc setup is pretty much unbeatable as it does not depend on remote network availablility for seveal hours ...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hannes suggestion is a good one. When I did an IDES install, the ABAP load was over a day in itself (which is more than a reason to disable the temp folder cleanup in the cron!).

-Zach

Former Member
0 Kudos

All,

I have been puzzling and puzzling about this one... We have not yet tried the vncviewer but have been using xhost and a tool called X-Win32 on the Windows PC to display back. I have also used a UNIX server instead of my Windows PC and have gotten the same error in all cases. Additionally, I can run xclock on the Linux server and have it correctly display back to my local PC.

I am thinking the communication problem is not between my PC and the Linux server. I think the problem is between the Linux server's ports 21212 and port 21200.

When I attach with my PC, the sapinstgui is talking to port 21212 and I can see that it connects both with the pop-up window on my PC asking to accept the fingerprint certificate that matches the same on the Linux server and I can see the attachments while monitoring the network traffic to the Linux server.

When that initial connection is established, the Linux server then communicates with the port 21200 on itself (localhost at this point) and completes the connection, right? It then returns the information back to the sapinstgui running on my PC through the return path (Linux server port 21200 talks to Linux server port 21212 which is displayed on my GUI on the local PC), right?

So when I am getting the error "Could not connect to host localhost on port 21200", at that moment, the Linux server is trying to talk to itself on port 21200. It doesn't matter what server is displaying the sapinstgui at that point, it is all the communication between the ports on the Linux server. Right?

I have verified that when I am running the sapinst on the Linux server, that the three ports, 21212, 21200 and 4239 are all listening (nestat -a).

So what could be jamming up that communication? I have checked the /etc/hosts file on the Linux server and it has entries for its own IP address and its FQDN and short name. It also has the entry of intelligent home, 127.0.0.1 set to "localhost". I can "ping localhost" on the Linux server and it correctly shows intelligent home, 127.0.01. So what else could be looked at to show the communication between the two ports (or a file perhaps that explains why the two can't communicate)?

Am I way chasing the wrong logic here?

Deb Nugent

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

try to disable the tmpwatch (cronjob entry) as follows.

/etc/cron.daily/tmpwatch

also do one thing disable vncserver or any X server etc and remove the contains from /tmp/*.

run the vncserver or any other gui as per your convienance.

run the setup again.

Share the log if still you wil face the port issue.

Regards,

Kamal Kishore

Former Member
0 Kudos

Kamal Kishore,

Thank-you for your response.

I am not the system administrator on the LINUX server and thus, cannot delete the contents of the /tmp directory. However, we do not have the tmpwatch job active as a cronjob and I am re-directing the sapinst logs to the area /sapmnt/<SID>/tmp with the environemnt variables TEMP, TMPDIR and TMP. I have deleted the contents of that directory and restarted the installation.

I get the same results when the GUI window appears on my PC. It attempts to log into the LINUX server on port 21212 and fails with the message "Could not connect to host localhost on port 21200".

The gui.err file shows:

com.sap.sdt.sltool.rapi.connector.ToolNotConnectedException: SAPinst not connected to AS Java.

at com.sap.sdt.sltool.rapi.connector.AbstractToolConnector.send(AbstractToolConnector.java:249)

at com.sap.sdt.server.ext.sapinst.log.SAPinstLogParser.sendLogRequest(SAPinstLogParser.java:256)

at com.sap.sdt.server.ext.sapinst.log.SAPinstLogParser.parse(SAPinstLogParser.java:208)

at com.sap.sdt.server.corext.logs.LogFileSelectionListener.eventPerformed(LogFileSelectionListener.java

:47)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:585)

at com.sap.sdt.gui.core.swing.controls.GuiListener.localEvent(GuiListener.java:89)

at com.sap.sdt.gui.core.swing.controls.GuiInternalListener.eventPerformed(GuiInternalListener.java:43)

at com.sap.sdt.gui.core.swing.controls.GuiLogViewer$RemoteSelectionProvider.requestFile(GuiLogViewer.ja

va:447)

at com.sap.sdt.gui.core.swing.controls.GuiLogViewer$Select.run(GuiLogViewer.java:462)

at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:209)

at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:461)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:242)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:163)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:157)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:149)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:110)

The server.trc file shows:

<!LOGHEADER[START]/>

<!HELP[Manual modification of the header may cause parsing problem!]/>

<!LOGGINGVERSION[1.5.7.1006]/>

<!NAME[/root/.sdtgui/log/server.trc]/>

<!PATTERN[server.trc]/>

<!FORMATTER[com.sap.tc.logging.TraceFormatter(%d [%s]: %-100l [%t]: %m)]/>

<!ENCODING[UTF8]/>

<!LOGHEADER[END]/>

Jan 15, 2010 8:47:20 AM [Info]: com.sap.sdt.server.core.admin.SDTServerAdmin.start(SDT

ServerAdmin.java:291) [Thread[main,5,main]]: *************************************************

Jan 15, 2010 8:47:20 AM [Info]: com.sap.sdt.server.core.admin.SDTServerAdmin.start(SDT

ServerAdmin.java:292) [Thread[main,5,main]]: Starting SL Controller ...

Jan 15, 2010 8:47:20 AM [Info]: com.sap.sdt.server.core.admin.SDTServerAdmin.startStorageService(SDT

ServerAdmin.java:698) [Thread[main,5,main]]: StorageService switched off.

Jan 15, 2010 8:47:20 AM [Info]: com.sap.sdt.server.core.admin.SDTServerAdmin.initSecurityAdmin(SDT

ServerAdmin.java:718) [Thread[main,5,main]]: Initializing SecurityManager ...

Jan 15, 2010 8:47:20 AM [Info]: com.sap.sdt.server.core.security.ServerSecurityAdmin.initKeyStore(ServerSe

curityAdmin.java:590) [Thread[main,5,main]]: Key Store management switched off.

Jan 15, 2010 8:47:20 AM [Info]: com.sap.sdt.server.core.admin.SDTServerAdmin.initHttpManager(SDT

ServerAdmin.java:740) [Thread[main,5,main]]: Configuring HTTPManager ...

Jan 15, 2010 8:47:20 AM [Info]: com.sap.sdt.server.core.admin.SDTServerAdmin.startWebstartService(SDT

ServerAdmin.java:748) [Thread[main,5,main]]: WebstartService switched off.

Jan 15, 2010 8:47:20 AM [Info]: com.sap.sdt.server.core.admin.SDTServerAdmin.startRoleService(SDT

ServerAdmin.java:775) [Thread[main,5,main]]: RoleService switched off.

Jan 15, 2010 8:47:20 AM [Info]: com.sap.sdt.server.core.admin.SDTServerAdmin.startAlertService(SDT

ServerAdmin.java:795) [Thread[main,5,main]]: AlertService switched off.

Jan 15, 2010 8:47:20 AM [Info]: com.sap.sdt.server.core.admin.SDTServerAdmin.startNotesService(SDT

ServerAdmin.java:815) [Thread[main,5,main]]: NotesService switched off.

Jan 15, 2010 8:47:20 AM [Info]: com.sap.sdt.server.core.admin.SDTServerAdmin.startProcessService(SDT

ServerAdmin.java:835) [Thread[main,5,main]]: ProcessService switched off.

Jan 15, 2010 8:47:20 AM [Info]: com.sap.sdt.server.core.admin.SDTServerAdmin.startMidService(SDT

ServerAdmin.java:861) [Thread[main,5,main]]: Starting MIDService ...

Jan 15, 2010 8:47:20 AM [Info]: com.sap.sdt.server.core.services.Service.s

tart(Service.java:83) [Thread[main,5,main]]: Starting service "MIDService" ...

Jan 15, 2010 8:47:20 AM [Info]: com.sap.sdt.server.corext.mid.MIDService.init

(MIDService.java:260) [Thread[main,5,main]]: Reading scope from storage.

Jan 15, 2010 8:47:20 AM [Info]: com.sap.sdt.server.corext.mid.MIDService.init

(MIDService.java:266) [Thread[main,5,main]]: No scope in storage - creating initial scope.

tart(Service.java:89) [Thread[main,5,main]]: Service "MIDService" started.

Jan 15, 2010 8:47:20 AM [Info]: com.sap.sdt.server.core.admin.SDTServerAdmin.startFileService(SDT

ServerAdmin.java:881) [Thread[main,5,main]]: Starting FileService ...

tart(Service.java:83) [Thread[main,5,main]]: Starting service "FileService" ...

tart(Service.java:89) [Thread[main,5,main]]: Service "FileService" started.

Jan 15, 2010 8:47:20 AM [Info]: com.sap.sdt.server.core.admin.SDTServerAdmin.startLogService(SDT

ServerAdmin.java:896) [Thread[main,5,main]]: LogService switched off.

Jan 15, 2010 8:47:20 AM [Info]: com.sap.sdt.server.core.admin.SDTServerAdmin.startMailService(SDT

ServerAdmin.java:916) [Thread[main,5,main]]: MailService switched off.

Jan 15, 2010 8:47:20 AM [Info]: com.sap.sdt.server.core.admin.SDTServerAdmin.startServices(SDT

ServerAdmin.java:934) [Thread[main,5,main]]: Starting services ...

Jan 15, 2010 8:47:20 AM [Info]: com.sap.sdt.server.core.admin.SDTServerAdmin.startServices(SDT

ServerAdmin.java:940) [Thread[main,5,main]]: Starting service "SAPinstService" ...

tart(Service.java:83) [Thread[main,5,main]]: Starting service "SAPinstService" ...

Jan 15, 2010 8:47:20 AM [Info]: com.sap.sdt.server.core.services.GuiService.init

(GuiService.java:274) [Thread[main,5,main]]: Version of service "SAPinstService" is 710.2

Jan 15, 2010 8:47:20 AM [Info]: com.sap.sdt.server.ext.s

apinst.SAPinstService [Thread[main,5,main]]: Running service "SAPinstService" in following environment:

apinst.SAPinstService [Thread[main,5,main]]: Java Runtime Version : 1.5.0_10

apinst.SAPinstService [Thread[main,5,main]]: Java Home Directory : /sapmnt/SM1/tmp/sapinst_exe.124

02.1263563237/jre

apinst.SAPinstService [Thread[main,5,main]]: Java Vendor : SAP AG

apinst.SAPinstService [Thread[main,5,main]]: Operating System Architecture : amd64

apinst.SAPinstService [Thread[main,5,main]]: Operating System Name : Linux

apinst.SAPinstService [Thread[main,5,main]]: Operating System Version : 2.6.18-92.el5

tart(Service.java:89) [Thread[main,5,main]]: Service "SAPinstService" started.

ServerAdmin.java:944) [Thread[main,5,main]]: Service "SAPinstService" started

ServerAdmin.java:958) [Thread[main,5,main]]: Services started.

Jan 15, 2010 8:47:20 AM [Info]: com.sap.sdt.server.core.http.HttpManager.startServer(

HttpManager.java:156) [Thread[main,5,main]]: Starting HTTP server listening on port 4239 ...

Jan 15, 2010 8:47:20 AM [Info]: com.sap.sdt.server.core.http.HttpManager.startServer(

HttpManager.java:175) [Thread[main,5,main]]: HTTP server started.

ServerAdmin.java:315) [Thread[main,5,main]]: SL Controller started.

Jan 15, 2010 8:47:20 AM [Info]: com.sap.sdt.server.core.admin.SDTServerAdmin.startGui(SDT

ServerAdmin.java:974) [Thread[main,5,main]]: Starting GUI ...

Jan 15, 2010 8:47:21 AM [Error]: com.sap.sdt.sapinst.rapi.conn

ector.SAPinstConnector [Thread[main,5,main]]: Could not connect to localhost:21200. Could not connect to host l

ocalhost on port 21200.

Jan 15, 2010 8:47:21 AM [Info]: com.sap

.sdt.util.misc.Worker [Thread[SAPinst,5,main]]: Exiting due to stop mark.

Jan 15, 2010 8:47:23 AM [Info]: com.sap.sdt.server.core.admin.SDTServerAdmin.startGui(SDT

ServerAdmin.java:993) [Thread[main,5,main]]: GUI started.

Jan 15, 2010 8:51:40 AM [Error]: com.sap.sdt.sltool.rapi.connector.AbstractToolConnector.send(AbstractT

oolConnector.java:249) [Thread[AWT-EventQueue-0,6,main]]: SAPinst not connected to AS Java.

Jan 15, 2010 8:51:40 AM [Error]: com.sap.sdt.util.mi

sc.DefaultErrorHandler [Thread[AWT-EventQueue-0,6,main]]: com.sap.sdt.sltool.rapi.connector.ToolNotConnectedExc

eption: SAPinst not connected to AS Java.

at com.sap.sdt.sltool.rapi.connector.AbstractToolConnector.send(AbstractToolConnector.java:249)

at com.sap.sdt.server.corext.tool.adapter.AbstractToolAdapter.send(AbstractToolAdapter.java:65)

at com.sap.sdt.server.ext.sapinst.adapter.SAPinstAdapter.logoffLogViewer(SAPinstAdapter.java:189)

at com.sap.sdt.server.ext.sapinst.SAPinstAbstractService.logViewerClosed(SAPinstAbstractService.java:15

6)

at com.sap.sdt.server.ext.sapinst.controls.SAPinstPerspective.handleButtonEvent(SAPinstPerspective.java

:87)

at com.sap.sdt.server.core.services.controls.ServiceButtonListener.actionPerformed(ServiceButtonListene

r.java:43)

at com.sap.sdt.server.core.controls.SDTDialog$CloseListener.actionPerformed(SDTDialog.java:261)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:585)

at com.sap.sdt.gui.core.swing.controls.GuiListener.localEvent(GuiListener.java:89)

at com.sap.sdt.gui.core.swing.controls.GuiActionListener.actionPerformed(GuiActionListener.java:55)

at com.sap.sdt.gui.core.swing.controls.GuiActionListener$Listener.actionPerformed(GuiActionListener.jav

a:144)

at com.sap.sdt.gui.core.swing.util.JGuiFrame.fireClosing(JGuiFrame.java:113)

at com.sap.sdt.gui.core.swing.util.JGuiFrame.processWindowEvent(JGuiFrame.java:94)

at java.awt.Window.processEvent(Window.java:1148)

at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:3968)

at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2024)

at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:1778)

at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:3803)

at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:463)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:242)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:163)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:157)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:149)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:110)

Apologies for formatting .

Deb Nugent

Former Member
0 Kudos
... [Thread[main,5,main]]: Running service "SAPinstService" in following environment: 
... Java Runtime Version : 1.5.0_1.
... Java Home Directory : /sapmnt/SM1/tmp/sapinst_exe.124 02.1263563237/jr.
... Java Vendor : SAP A.
... Operating System Architecture : amd6.
... Operating System Name : Linu.
... Operating System Version : 2.6.18-92.el.

I can't remember if sapinst comes with its own Java environment...I'll check up on that. But if it doesn't come with its own environment, you are running the wrong version of java. Please check your JAVA_HOME environment variable.

-Zach

Former Member
0 Kudos

Zach,

When I am in root, and use the command "java -version", I get:

[root]# java -version

java version "1.4.2"

Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 2.3)

IBM J9 VM (build 2.3, J2RE 1.4.2 IBM J9 2.3 Linux amd64-64 j9vmxa64142ifx-20090909 (JIT enabled)

J9VM - 20090908_41946_LHdSMr

JIT - 20090210_1447ifx1_r8

GC - 200902_24)

And I have set the environment variables:

JAVA_HOME=/opt/IBMJava2-amd64-142

SAPINST_JRE_HOME=/opt/IBMJava2-amd64-142/jre/bin

So how is it changing to a different version of Java? I thought the installation copies the needed java files from the defined area of those two variables.

I looked at the dev_selfex.out file in the sapinst directory and it claims it extracted the jre... When I look at the jre folder in teh sapinst directory, I can see the java version there is most definately 1.5.0_10. What would happen if I replace the contents of that jre directory with the jre folder from the correct version of Java?

Deb Nugent.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dev

Some information might be useful to resolve your issue

#this will install the java if not intalled. otherwise display the warraning that java is already installed

rpm -ivh IBMJava2-AMD64-142-SDK-1.4.2-9.0.x86_64.rpm

#Add the following into /root/.bash_profile

JAVA_HOME=/opt/IBMJava2-amd64-142 export JAVA_HOME

SAPINST_JRE_HOME=/opt/IBMJava2-amd64-142 export SAPINST_JRE_HOME

CPIC_MAX_CONV=500 export CPIC_MAX_CONV

#Run the below command to check the require rpm once again.

rpm -q --qf '%-%-% (%)\n' glibc glibc-devel glibc-headers glibc-common audit-libs nscd libaio binutils libXp-1.0.0-8 saplocales

Check/Add the SAP setting in /etc/security/limits.conf

1. SAP Settings

@sapsys hard nofile 32800

@sapsys soft nofile 32800

@dba hard nofile 32800

@dba soft nofile 32800

Check/Add the SAP setting in /etc/sysctl.conf

1. SAP Settings

kernel.msgmni=1024

kernel.sem=1250 256000 100 1024

vm.max_map_count=300000

#Activate these settings with the command "sysctl -p".

Take a reboot of the linux box here and login with root and either run the setup or else follow some below mention optional steps

Optional Suggestion only: First copy the sap setup dump into some shared location into linux box's network or local mount point (if possible). mount that shared into that linux box

Optional Suggestion only: Setup the VNCSERVER

#vncserver default installed in rhel5 during the os setup.

#run the command in linux box to active the vncserver service. vncserver us the port 5901, 5902 as per their pid runs

vncserver

#this will as for password. so provide the password and retype the password.

this will give the information like "vncstart at /roo/.vnc/xstartup :1 etc"

/root/.vnc/xstartup file contains should be as follows

#!/bin/sh

1. Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:

unset SESSION_MANAGER

exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

#[ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup

#[ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources

xsetroot -solid grey

vncconfig -iconic &

xterm -geometry 80x241010 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &

gnomestart &

Stop the vncserver after making the changes in xstartup file and restart the vncserver again to take effect the changes.

vncserver -kill :1 #this to stop the vncserver change :1 to your running session like :2, :3 etc

vncserver #this will again start the vncserver and must be run after stopping the vncserver only otherwise this will start a new session.

Regards,

Kamal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Kamal,

Thank-you for the suggestions. I added the entries you requested to the

/root/.bash_profile. And the output of the installed products is:

glibc-2.5-24 (x86_64)

glibc-2.5-24 (i686)

glibc-devel-2.5-24 (x86_64)

glibc-devel-2.5-24 (i386)

glibc-headers-2.5-24 (x86_64)

glibc-common-2.5-24 (x86_64)

audit-libs-1.6.5-9.el5 (i386)

audit-libs-1.6.5-9.el5 (x86_64)

nscd-2.5-24 (x86_64)

libaio-0.3.106-3.2 (i386)

libaio-0.3.106-3.2 (x86_64)

binutils-2.17.50.0.6-6.el5 (x86_64)

package libXp-1.0.0-8 is not installed

saplocales-2.5-2 (x86_64)

I notice the package "libXp-1.0.0-8" is not installed.

As another item of interest, we happen to be installing a Linux VM with

SAP ERP. That VM and this one are clones. That installation is progressing

without this problem. I checked that system for the installed products and

get the same listing there. I also checked the server.trc file for that

installation and can see that it too is using JAva 1.5.0-10.

The settings in the limts.conf and sysctl.conf files are the same or

higher than what was specified.

I have requested a reboot of the VM. This server belongs to the Opns

team and they have to do this. I will let you know the results after the

reboot.

I did log off / back on again and tried the install again. I get the

same error. So I will now wait for the reboot to see if that helps.

Deb Nugent.

Former Member
0 Kudos

There are several libraries that are required of that java package. To install them use the yum command:

yum install <package name>

You can search for the packages with:

yum search <package name>

Once the dependencies are filled, you will be able to successfully install the rpm!

-Zach

Former Member
0 Kudos

Zach,

I am not certain I understand your suggestion. I believe you are referencing the library package libXp-1.0.0-8 that the "rmp" command I issues claimed was not installed. Hoping that was a correct assumption on my part, I issued the following commands:

[root]# yum install libXp-1.0.0-8

Loaded plugins: rhnplugin, security

Setting up Install Process

Package matching libXp-1.0.0-8.x86_64 already installed. Checking for update.

Package matching libXp-1.0.0-8.i386 already installed. Checking for update.

Nothing to do

The "yum" command believes the package is already installed.

I then checked again with the "rpm" command that Kamal had suggested and I still get the same output:

[root]# rpm -q --qf '%-%-% (%)\n' glibc glibc-devel

glibc-headers glibc-common audit-libs nscd libaio binutils libXp-1.0.0-8 saplocales

glibc-2.5-24 (x86_64)

glibc-2.5-24 (i686)

glibc-devel-2.5-24 (x86_64)

glibc-devel-2.5-24 (i386)

glibc-headers-2.5-24 (x86_64)

glibc-common-2.5-24 (x86_64)

audit-libs-1.6.5-9.el5 (i386)

audit-libs-1.6.5-9.el5 (x86_64)

nscd-2.5-24 (x86_64)

libaio-0.3.106-3.2 (i386)

libaio-0.3.106-3.2 (x86_64)

binutils-2.17.50.0.6-6.el5 (x86_64)

package libXp-1.0.0-8 is not installed

saplocales-2.5-2 (x86_64)

When I attempt to run the installation again, I get the same error, "Connection to SAPinst could not be established. Could not connect to host localhost on port 21200."

Deb Nugent.

Former Member
0 Kudos

What does this command produce?

# rpm -q libXp

Also, what are the outputs of this:

# updatedb
# locate libXp

-Zach

Former Member
0 Kudos

Zach,

[root]# rpm -q libXp

libXp-1.0.0-8.1.el5

libXp-1.0.0-8.1.el5

[root]# updatedb

[root]# locate libXp

/usr/lib/libXp.so.6

/usr/lib/libXp.so.6.2.0

/usr/lib/libXpm.so.4

/usr/lib/libXpm.so.4.11.0

/usr/lib64/libXp.so.6

/usr/lib64/libXp.so.6.2.0

/usr/lib64/libXpm.so

/usr/lib64/libXpm.so.4

/usr/lib64/libXpm.so.4.11.0

/usr/share/doc/libXp-1.0.0

/usr/share/doc/libXpm-3.5.5

/usr/share/doc/libXp-1.0.0/AUTHORS

/usr/share/doc/libXp-1.0.0/COPYING

/usr/share/doc/libXp-1.0.0/ChangeLog

/usr/share/doc/libXp-1.0.0/INSTALL

/usr/share/doc/libXp-1.0.0/README

/usr/share/doc/libXpm-3.5.5/AUTHORS

/usr/share/doc/libXpm-3.5.5/COPYING

/usr/share/doc/libXpm-3.5.5/ChangeLog

/usr/share/doc/libXpm-3.5.5/INSTALL

/usr/share/doc/libXpm-3.5.5/README

Deb Nugent.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm pretty sure you have all the required packages installed. If are missing libraries the easiest way to check is with:

# ldd <executable>

Since that log with java 1.50 looks suspect, please also run:

# rpm -q IBMJava2-AMD64-142-SDK

Sorry for the additional check.

-Zach

Edited by: Zachary Shay on Jan 19, 2010 11:12 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can you check your DISPLAY environment variable. ?

try setting

DISPLAY=111.222.333.444:0.0   (Your linux server IP Address)

or

DISPLAY=111.222.333.444:0.0   (Your client system IP Address)

I am just taking a chance, but some time it gives such problem if DISPLAY variable is not set correctly..

Regards.

Rajesh Narkhede

Former Member
0 Kudos

Zach,

[root]# ldd ./sapinst

libdl.so.2 => /lib64/libdl.so.2 (0x000000315e600000)

librt.so.1 => /lib64/librt.so.1 (0x000000315f600000)

libstdc+.so.6 => /usr/lib64/libstdc+.so.6 (0x000000316d800000)

libm.so.6 => /lib64/libm.so.6 (0x000000315ea00000)

libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib64/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x000000316c400000)

libpthread.so.0 => /lib64/libpthread.so.0 (0x000000315ee00000)

libc.so.6 => /lib64/libc.so.6 (0x000000315e200000)

/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x000000315de00000)

[root]# rpm -q IBMJava2-AMD64-142-SDK

IBMJava2-AMD64-142-SDK-1.4.2-13.3

Deb Nugent.

hannes_kuehnemund
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Deb,

SR13 FP2 and SP3 have issues with SAPINST GUI.

SAP note [1422869|https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1422869] describes such an issue and a workaround.

Hannes

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rajesh,

Thank-you for your suggestion. I had previosuly tried to use the IP address instead of the FQDN for the server / PC where I wanted to display my sapinstGui and it did not correct the problem. I tried again just now and again, it did not resolve the problem.

Displaying the sapinstgui to my PC does not seem to be the issue. I can easily communicate between the gui and the server and can prove that the two are communicating. The error seems to be when on the LINUX server itself, it is trying to communicate between ports 21212 and 21200 on the LINUX server. It appears to be trying to logon between those two ports.

We have tried displaying the sapinst gui back to a Windows PC and to a UNIX server. Both failed with the same message. We also are running another installation on another LINUX VM server that is a clone of the VM LINUX server I am working with. That clone has the same software / configuration and yet, the installation works on that VM server without incident. We have even tried using the kit from that installation (for ERP. not Solution Manager) and get the same failure message on this LINUX VM server.

Deb Nugent.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hannes,

Thank-you for your suggestion. I will pass the SAP Note along to my Server Opns team for their review.

However, as I have noted, we are running another installation on a VM Server that is a clone of hte one I am using. That installation is of ERP and is progressing without this problem.

I just checked the version of the JAVA SDK on that system and have found it has the same version installed as on the VM server I am using:

Again, I will pass the note along to my Opns team but I am not certain this will solve our problem.

Deb Nugent.

Former Member
0 Kudos

All,

Just to keep everyone up to date.

Hannes had suggested we remove the JDK and install the IBM JDK with no FP. I asked my Server Opns team to do this and they were able to do so. We had downloaded the JDK per SAP notes 1422869 and 1090932.

On the VM Server we now have:

IBMJava2-AMD64-142-SDK-1.4.2-13.0

I tried the installation again and again, the sapinstGui showed the same error again.

Deb Nugent.

Former Member
0 Kudos

All,

I posted too quickly. My Opns team has decided to reinstall the original JDK again to keep our VM Servers consistent. So we are back to the original JDK we were running:

Deb Nugent.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

First try from remote host as

./startinstgui.sh -host <your_linuxserver_host_name>

If it doesn't work, You can then make the sapinst to run on different port instead of default one...

to do so, you can try the below things..

on Server side, run the sapinst with below command

./sapinst GUISERVER_DIALOG_PORT=21215

and On Client end, use the below command

./sapinst SAPINST_DIALOG_PORT=21200 GUISERVER_DIALOG_PORT=21215
OR
./sapinst SAPINST_DIALOG_PORT=21212 GUISERVER_DIALOG_PORT=21215

in short try to change the guiserver default dialog port to avoid default login behavior of the server.

(Can you plz post the step-by-step activity of you installation ? at server and client both side)

Regards.

Rajesh Narkhede

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rajesh,

I had previosuly tried changing the default ports and had the same results. But I did it again today to capture the information for you.

Step by step instructions:

1. On my Windows XP PC, I am running X-Win32. this allows me to display the sapinstgui on my local PC.

2. I log into the LINUX VM Server using ssh.

3. cd <location of the installation Master DVD>

4. Set the following environment variables:

SAPINST_JRE_HOME='/opt/IBMJava2-amd64-142/jre/bin'

export SAPINST_JRE_HOME

JAVA_HOME='/opt/IBMJava2-amd64-142'

export JAVA_HOME

CPIC_MAX_CONV=200

export CPIC_MAX_CONV

DISPLAY='<FQDN of my PC>:0.0'

export DISPLAY

LD_LIBRARY_PATH_64=/opt/IBMJava2-amd64-142/jre/bin/j9vm:/usr/sap/SM1/SYS/exe/run

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH_64

TEMP=/sapmnt/SM1/tmp

export TEMP

TMP=/sapmnt/SM1/tmp

export TMP

TMPDIR=/sapmnt/SM1/tmp

export TMPDIR

JCE_POLICY_ZIP=/opt/IBMJava2-amd64-142/jre/jce_policy-1_4_2.zip

export JCE_POLICY_ZIP

5. Normally, I run ./sapinst with no other qualifiers. For this test, I used the command "./sapinst SAPINST_DIALOG_PORT=21212 GUISERVER_DIALOG_PORT=21215"

6. On the LINUX VM Server, I can see the following messages:

[==============================] \ extracting... done!

Starting GUIServer using:

SAPinst port : 21212

GUIServer port: 21215

HTTP port : 4239

GUI autostart : on

GUI mode : normal

command : /sapmnt/SM1/tmp/sapinst_exe.15782.1264079841/jre/bin/java -Xmx256M -Dsap.env.var.

javahome=SAPINST_JRE_HOME -cp /sapmnt/SM1/tmp/sapinst_exe.15782.1264079841/JAR/instgui.jar

SDTGui sapinst host=localhost port=21212 -nolock

init: retrieving account information for group sapinst...

init: retrieving account information done.

load resource pool /sapcd1/SM_7.0_EHP1_master/51036441/IM_LINUX_X86_64/resourcepool.xml

guiengine: No GUI server connected; waiting for a connection on host <LINUX server>, port 21212 to

continue with the installation

At this point, on my PC, the X-Win32 activates a window containing the sapinstgui. It attempts

to connect to the sapinst server. The "SAP - Software Delivery Tools GUI" window appears on my PC.

It reports "Logon error" and below that, the message:

Connection to SAPinst could not be established, see following message:

Could not connect to host localhost on port 21212.

java.net.ConnectionException: Connection refused

Back on the LINUX VM Server, the installation message continues:

Jan 21, 2010 8:17:24 AM [Info]: *************************

Jan 21, 2010 8:17:24 AM [Info]: Starting Server

Jan 21, 2010 8:17:24 AM [Info]: Reading server configuration.

Jan 21, 2010 8:17:24 AM [Info]: Reading service configuration SAPinstService.

Jan 21, 2010 8:17:24 AM [Info]: Configuring LogManager ...

Jan 21, 2010 8:17:24 AM [Info]: *************************************************

Jan 21, 2010 8:17:24 AM [Info]: Starting SL Controller ...

Jan 21, 2010 8:17:24 AM [Info]: StorageService switched off.

Jan 21, 2010 8:17:24 AM [Info]: Initializing SecurityManager ...

Jan 21, 2010 8:17:24 AM [Info]: Key Store management switched off.

Jan 21, 2010 8:17:24 AM [Info]: Configuring HTTPManager ...

Jan 21, 2010 8:17:24 AM [Info]: WebstartService switched off.

Jan 21, 2010 8:17:24 AM [Info]: RoleService switched off.

Jan 21, 2010 8:17:24 AM [Info]: AlertService switched off.

Jan 21, 2010 8:17:24 AM [Info]: NotesService switched off.

Jan 21, 2010 8:17:24 AM [Info]: ProcessService switched off.

Jan 21, 2010 8:17:24 AM [Info]: Starting MIDService ...

Jan 21, 2010 8:17:24 AM [Info]: Starting FileService ...

Jan 21, 2010 8:17:24 AM [Info]: LogService switched off.

Jan 21, 2010 8:17:24 AM [Info]: MailService switched off.

Jan 21, 2010 8:17:24 AM [Info]: Starting services ...

Jan 21, 2010 8:17:24 AM [Info]: Starting service "SAPinstService" ...

Jan 21, 2010 8:17:24 AM [Info]: Service "SAPinstService" started

Jan 21, 2010 8:17:24 AM [Info]: Services started.

Jan 21, 2010 8:17:24 AM [Info]: Starting HTTP server listening on port 4239 ...

Jan 21, 2010 8:17:24 AM [Info]: HTTP server started.

Jan 21, 2010 8:17:24 AM [Info]: SL Controller started.

Jan 21, 2010 8:17:24 AM [Info]: Starting GUI ...

Jan 21, 2010 8:17:27 AM [Info]: GUI started.

At this point, I exit the sapinstgui on my PC and kill the installation on the VM Server.

Deb Nugent.

(Apologies about the formatting. This SDN interface is not very nice for these long posts...)

hannes_kuehnemund
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

(Apologies about the formatting. This SDN interface is not very nice for these long posts...)

just split it up into two post ... the limit of characters that scrable the output is somewhere between 2500 and 5000 ...

Hannes

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

One things I noticed that DISPLAY variable is not set properly...

it should be

#export DISPLAY=<your windows IP Address>:0.0

so after setting this variable you should try "xclock" command to see if you can see clock on your windows desktop.

if it works then DISPLAY setting is correct.

I have tried it on my setup using PUTTY and found no problem. (It was not working when DISPLAY variable setting is same as you mentioned)

#############################

Method - 2

On Linux Server:

1. Open the Terminal Window.

2. Go to sapdump dir (Installation Master) and give the following command

#./sapinst -nogui

(it will stay on the screen with the following message ...)

*guiengine: No GUI server connected; waiting for a connection on host VWVIHRDQ, port 21200 to continue with the installation*

Leave that screen as it is...

On Windows PC:

1. Download and start PUTTY.

2. Login to the Linux server through SSH

3. set the DISPLAY variable as below:

#export DISPLAY=<your windows IP address>:0.0

4. Test "xclock" and then go to installation master directory and give the following command

#./startInstGui.sh -server -host <Linux Server IP Address> -p 21200

5. Then login to the Linux server and see if you can get the installation screen...

6. You can then see the information scrolling on Linux server Terminal...

Please check and post the result...

Regards.

Rajesh Narkhede

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rajesh,

The DISPLAY variable is set correctly. As I noted in an earlier post, my systems are on an open network and as such, when posting here, for security reasons, I am not displaying our system names or IP addresses. When I set the DISPLAY variable on my LINUX VM Server, and then run xclock or sapinst, it correctly displays back on my PC. I have been able to prove the two are communicating by comparing both the fingerprint ID when the connection is made as well as reviewing the network traces and the firewall logs. Displaying and connecting between my PC and the LINUX VM Server has not been a problem.

The problem appears more to be once the sapinstgui then attempts to talk to the sapinst port all on the LINUX VM Server. At that point, it is getting the logon error to the localhost.

Deb Nugent.

Former Member
0 Kudos

In case anyone else is still watching / interersted in this thread... I had also logged this as an issue in SAPNet. I have been working with reps there as well. Yesterday, I was asked to download and update the sapinst I was running. The version I had on the system appeared to be the latest but he directed me to another download area in SAPnet and asked that I download and install a specifc version from there.

I did this and updated the sapinst in my Master DVD to the version requested:

[root]# ./sapinst -version

This is SAPinst, version 701_1, make variant 701_REL, build 1080424

compiled on Jul 16 2009, 22:19:12

I then tried to run the installaton again but again, got the same symptoms / original message that started this thread.

The rep I was working with is escalated to the next level.

Deb Nugent.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Deb,

You have a mirror image of this system running this version of sapinst without issue, correct? 3 additional thoughts:

1.) Have you attempted restarting the server?

2.) Please compare the hosts files on the server that is working and the server that is not working.

3.) On the working server, please check if sapinst is running with the IBM java...or if it too is copying 1.5.x into the runtime directory.

At this point, we should determine what is different between the 2 systems.

-Zach

Former Member
0 Kudos

Zach,

I know... This one is really puzzling... Thanks for sticking with it.

To answer your questions:

1. Yes, we have rebooted the server. We rebooted both the VM server first. Then we have rebooted the system that is hosting the VM server. In both cases, it did not correct the problem.

2. The hosts files between the two VM servers apear very similar. They both contain the address 127.0.0.1 as localhost and then contain the IP address, FQDN and shortname for the server and its backbend network connection. I have verified the addresses are correct and that we are not using the backend network connections.

3. I also had previously checked the logs on the server that is working. When you had mentioned the Java version before, I checked the log on the working server to ensure that it too was copying the JRE with the same version as my non-working server, 1.5.x. I also compared the versions of sapinst and took the MASTER DVD for that installation, an ERP system, and copied it to my non-working server. I then tried to start an installation of ERP on the non-working server. I got the exact same error message as I was getting with my Solution Manager installation.

Thanks for the suggestions though. And I will post an answer once we get one. My biggest concern is that these systems are clones. We have cloned a number of them from the same source. I am worried that this might happen with some of the other clones.

Deb Nugent.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Your problem is really strange enough to imagine whats going wrong ...

Can you provide some more details about Operating system ?

1. Your VM Host ?

2. System from where you are trying to connect to server ?

3. Your VM Guest operating system.

And any service pack used (in case of windows).

Also, go through the following sap notes "carefully"... You may have missed something...

171356 - SAP software on Linux: Essential information

1048303 - Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.x- Installation and upgrade.pdf

You can also have look at X-server rpms if there is any miss match between two systems..

Regards.

Rajesh Narkhede

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rajesh,

As to the operating sytems involved:

1. The VM host system is a LINUX server running VM Ware 4.0.0, patch 208167. The server itself if running RedHat Enterprise 5.2. This is the physical server that houses several virtual machines.

2. The system where I am running the display for the sapinstGui is my local PC. It is running Windows XP SP 3. We use the product X-Win32 version 9.5 to display X-Windows on the PC. We have also tried this installation displaying back to a UNIX server using xhost. We had the same results regardless of where or how we displayed back to the sapinstGui.

3. Our VM Guest operating system should be the VM server on the VM host system. It is the named VM server where we are doing the installation of SAP. It is a virtual machine within the VM host. The operating system here is RedHat Enterprise 5.2.

(Please excuse the descriptions of the different servers involved. I want to make certain we are speaking of the same systems in the landscape.)

I have already compared the rpms between the two boxes and there are no inconsistencies. I will have to review again the two notes suggested. If I find anything, I will report back. I have gone through both of those notes several times already but I might have someone else check as well in case I am just not seeing something critical because I have looked at it too many times.

Deb Nugent.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rajesh,

I have gone back through the SAP notes listed and confirmed everything specific to our installation is correct. I also revieweed all referenced notes as well.

We are running compatible hardware / software with all parameters, variables, hardware settings configured per recommendations.

Again, I have a clone of this server in which we are installing ERP. That server has identical software / hardware / settings configured and it works correctly. (I have already suggested we destroy my VM Server, clone from the server where the installation is working, reconfigure the disks / accounts for my SID and start again. My Opns and Mgmt teams don't want to do that.)

Deb Nugent.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

your problem is really clueless...

Are you using DNS service for your linux server ?

If yes, try disabling it to see the result.

chances are very less, but still you can sick help of your DNS Administrator.

ensure that your server is not utilizing DNS... at least before installation of SAP.

Regards.

Rajesh Narkhede

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rajesh,

Please excuse my ignorance. I am not certain I understand your suggestion.

Did you mean DHCP? All networked systems use DNS services to some extent. We have the systems configured with permenantly assigned IP addresses so they are not using DHCP to get a different address each time they reboot or reset their networks. The LINUX server that houses the VM Servers has a permenant IP address, the Virtual Machine has a permenant IP adddress and my PC has a permenant IP address. I have tried using the system names, long and short to for each of the servers and have used the IP addresses directly all with the same error.

Could you please give more detail as to your suggestion to "ensure the server is not utilizing DNS"?

Thank-you,

Deb Nugent.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deb,

I mean to say that there should not any DNS address configured on your linux server.

I am thinking that may be because of name resolution (may be missconfiguration), your server is trying to logon to itself, rather sending the request back to the installation client...

So remove any DNS address is configured on your linux server and then try...

If it works, you can add DNS address later after installation...

Also ensure that your /etc/host file has the following format for its host entry.

<IP Address > <Hostname> <FQDN Hostname if needed>

for example.

123.345.678.900        linuxsrv          linuxsrv.domain.ext

Regards.

Rajesh Narkhede

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rajesh,

We made the changes as you suggested and it did not help the situation. We received the exact same error we have been getting all along.

Because these changes break other aspects of my network / security configuration, we have backed them out.

Deb Nugent.

Former Member
0 Kudos

We were abel to get this resolved quite some time ago and have been successfully installing since.

The kit we had received from SAP was missing some files / some files were incomplete. We pulled the latest copy of SAPInst and supplimented the kit with files from a NewWeaver 7.0 kit. We were then able to get a successful screen to start the installation. We mentioned all of this back to SAP in a message we had logged at that same time we started this thread. SAP responded that they were not able to duplicate our problem using the kit available in the download.

We downloaded the kit again from SAP. This second kit worked correctly without any changes on our part. We decided to upgrade it to the latest version of SAPInst and have been using that modified kit since.

Thank-you for all assistance.

Deb Nugent.

g_awater
Explorer
0 Kudos

I remember that I had to install the 32bit version of libxp as well.

Before I came to that knowledge, I just grabbed the .tar.gz, which saved me the hassle of .rpm dependencies.

Also, make sure that /etc/hosts is setup like the installation documents point out.

"java -version" works?