cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support of Oracle for VMware

Former Member
0 Kudos

Oracle on VMware is now supported

See today's update of [Note 1173954|https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1173954] - Support of Oracle for VMWare

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The "SAP on Oracle: Development Update February 2010" (available from SDN) on page 28 states "New: Oracle does now support VMware for productive SAP environments" yet this statement is not called out on either MetaLink or Service Marketplace in quite that strong of language.

Note 1173954 has been positively updated, and states prerequisites for using Oracle on VMware in the SAP environment, but in the solution section it still states that Oracle has not certified its products on VMware, and that problems may still need to be confirmed to be not only on VMware but on native hardware as well. This somewhat contradicts the statement in the development update.

I opened a note with SAP, and was told that if problems occur, that "...the problem must be confirmed to occur on native hardware as well as VMWare. For the time being there are no plans for complete certification on top of virtualization products and hence reproduction is needed on native hardware." This does not sound like full support.

Regards,

Mark

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I understand this the same way as Mark Deany.

This is not 100% full production support.

This topic and the SDN blogs are misleading.

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Mark,

> This does not sound like full support.

No database vendor does this. It was a common mistake caused by that well known metalink note #249212.1.

Unfortunately you don't speak german (i guess), so you can't read that internal oracle paper, that i posted above.

But you can check the point "3.2 Supportrichtlinien der Hersteller als Zitat" in this paper, which contains the "support guidelines" by every database vendor like Oracle, IBM, Microsoft, etc in english language.

It's pretty funny, that oracle is "blamed" for its support policy by everyone, but all other vendors do the same without a notice )

Regards

Stefan

volker_borowski2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Matthias,

can you please provide a few more details on this.

The note itself currently shows as "not released" in SAPNET.

Metalink Note ID 249212.1

"Support Position for Oracle Products Running on VMWare Virtualized Environments"

is still not modified since NOV 2007.

Thanks

Volker

Former Member
0 Kudos

The SAP Note should be released within the next few hours. As far as I know, Metalink 249212.1 won't change.

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Volker,

can you please provide a few more details on this.

As luck would have it, i asked Christian Graf yesterday evening about that topic (SAP/Oracle/VMware), because of he mentioned it at his DOAG 2009 speech. In general now you can run productive SAP/Oracle systems on VMware with the "rules of Oracle".

As you also speak german you can take a look at the following internal oracle paper which describes these rules very well (also regarding to the metalink note):

Oracle Internal Paper x86 Virtualisierung

If you are a DOAG member you can also take a look at the DOAG News which includes an interview with Günther Stürner. He also talks about this paper and makes some nice statements.

I am very happy with this trend.

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

The SAP/Oracle Installation is now official supported on VMware.

For more information read SAP Note Link: [1173954|https://service.sap.com/sap/bc/bsp/spn/sapnotes/index2.htm?numm=1173954].

Kind regards

Carlos Chatelain

Certified technical Consultant