cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to send mail from adobe interactive form without opening the outlook

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

When the end user press the submit button i want it to send the XML data without opening the outlook or other mail application.

Is there a way to do this?

I tried javascript codes to send mail with UI = false but it did not work.

Thank you all in advance,

Eran

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

BTW: you´re welcome to ask more questions where you don´t give a single point to people for their effort. This is quite a long thread and you didn´t give a point. Well.... what about reading the reules of engagement? Or maybe we should stop helping you right now:)) Otto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Otto and All,

I would like to thank each and every one of you for your efforts

I know that helping someone is also helping yourself - because when you are trying to help someone you understand more things while trying to explain things.

So.. I hope this thread was a HELP for some of you.

I don't think it helped me a lot and when i think that someone should get points i will give him all the points that i can...

The thing is not how you answer or what is the answer - the thing is how good is the question...

I didnt think that someone will get offended by this thread... Sorry but as a father for 3 kids i think you should take things in the right proportions.

Best Regards,

Eran

Former Member
0 Kudos

This thread is close.

There is no Answer for the question:

"How to send mail from adobe interactive form without opening the outlook"

Because of security reasons...

Thank you all !

Eran

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well, you didn´t close the thread, did you:)) Otto

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

WS = web service

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That means 1) any "developer" can crack your form logic and logic behind that, so there is no security possible

2) your best shot is to use WS, that is the only "silent" function of the form

I am sorry, but nothing else can be done (99%), I have tried all that long ago.

Regards, Otto

p.s.: maybe Adobe is not the right GUI for your application if you need it to do something it is not designed for

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

what do you mean by WS?

Erez

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

True: there is a significant difference between LCD and Acrobat platform.

And please note all the "silent" functions (without asking the user) are considered to be dangerous/ security risk. 95% sure you cannot do the silent save. Mail send is the same thing imho. There are some "trusted functions" or something like that in JS but I have never used that and don´t know if that helps. Otto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello again,

Suppose it is impossible to send mail without opening the outlook application or other mail application...

What is the best way to secure the mail content?

If the user can see the attachment he can open it and change data

He can send it to other mail recipients

I don't want the end user to do this!!! - this is not right...

Can you tell me what to do?

Ideas ?

Thank you all in advance,

Eran

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There is no such solution. It is connected with mentioned security reasons/ user comfort. Everything is done the way the user can manipulate everything at any time. It is intentionally done the way he can change the content etc.

You only choice is to send "silent" WS message.

The thing I don´t get is why do you care if the user can manipulate with the data/ mail. It is based on what he has done before in the form, why don´t you let him to manipulate it any time he wants? Why would he do that anyway? Is there some special secret you want to add into the data which the user should not see or why do you care?

Do you afraid the user will cause a mistake? His fault...

If you need this special behavior, you´d better describe why first. Maybe there is some other way to fulfil your task.

Otto

chintan_virani
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can make all fields Read Only on submission, this way he would not be able to change anthing.

Chintan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Otto,

I don't want the user change the data because it is Company inside information

I don't want him to change the "TO" or "CC" or "BCC" because of the same reason.

The user will make mistakes but it is our job as programmers to handle these mistakes as possible...

>

> You can make all fields Read Only on submission, this way he would not be able to change anthing.

>

> Chintan

Hello Chintan,

O.k. .. and than what?

The outlook window will open and he will change the XML data and other parameters of the e-mail

There must be some way to secure the document!!!

Best Regards,

Eran

chintan_virani
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Are you using SubmitByEmail button from Standard Library? If yes then there is an option of setting a TO address but yes the end user can change it once Outlook opens.

Also the user can change ONLY that data where you as programmer allow him to. You need to make fields ad readonly where the user should not be able to change it.

Chintan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Chintan Hi,

There are Hidden fields in the form

The user will see them if he will enter the XML File - and he will be able to change their contents...

I have to send XML and not PDF because that is what the Client want me to do.

Regards,

Eran

chintan_virani
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Are you displaying the hidden data to the end user? If no then there is no point of having it in form..

Chintan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello again,

The hidden fields are calculated fields - not matematical calculations but other stuff...

But these fields will be send in the XML file.

I need to send them.

Best Regards,

Eran

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I face similar requirement several times and without using WS there is no secure solution to send back what user enter in the form to SAP in a offline scenario.

Now, there's no magic solution for solving all secure issue on this kind of flow because WS can also be crack by hacker .... To solve all secure solution the best way is to make a web interface for uploading the file, this web interface can only be laucnh thru a secure VPN connexion or inside your customer network.

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry Guys,

I had some problems login in...

Well..., I think i will send the pdf itself and not its XML data...

The pdf created cannot be mapped by Informatica's Conversion Agent (unlike other pdf documents not created by adobe livecycle)

While adobe interactive pdf is being opened the following warning appear:

Warning: This form is not supported with the current version of Acrobat or Adobe Reader.
Upgrade to the latest version for full support.

Best Regards,

Eran

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eran,

I already face this problem of Adobe Version and after upgrading my Adobe reader to the last version available i still got this message.

I got this message when i want to put the forms in a WebDynpro ABAP and set it as interactive ....

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Bertrand,

My version is the last version so far...

Do you mean it cannot handle interactive forms?

I can't understand what is the problem...

What did you do to solve your problem?

Best Regards,

Eran

Former Member
0 Kudos

you could also implement a digital signature into your form.

when you sign it and send it, the form will record if any change is made AFTER the signature was signed.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello robert,

I will try your suggestion.

Will it change the XML file?

Best Regards,

Eran

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

I'm closing this thread as not answered but will open a new one about INFORMATICA...

Thank you all,

Eran

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello, you can bypass this: why don´t you use the submit button to send the XML file to the webservice and use this WS to send the email? Well... I don´t get why would you send the XML file to the email because the email user comfort is destroyed when the user has to read the xml:)) Is this necessary? Otto

Former Member
0 Kudos

I cannot use a web service because of many resons...

The only thing left to do is to to send mail without opening the outlook...

see next replies for more details...

Eran

Edited by: Eran Fox on Jan 14, 2010 7:35 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

from Acrobat Forms - JavaScript Object Specification :

mailDoc

Parameters: bUI, cTo, [cCc], [cBcc], [cSubject], [cMsgBody]

Returns: nothing

This method saves the current PDF document and mails it as an attachment to all recipients with or without user interaction

depending on the value of bUI.

If it is set to true then the rest of the parameters are used to seed the compose new message window that is displayed to the user.

If bUI is set to false, the cTo parameter is required and all others are optional.

You must use a semicolon u201C;u201D to separate multiple recipients in cTo, cCc, cBcc parameters.

The length limit for cSubject and cMsgBody is 64k bytes.

Example:

/* This will pop up the compose new message window */

this.mailDoc(true);

/* This will send out the mail with the attached PDF file to fun1 @ fun . com and fun2 @ fun . com */

this.mailDoc(false, "fun1 @ fun . com", "fun2 @ fun . com", "", "This is the subject", "This is the body.");

Note:

This is a Windows-only feature. In addition, the client machine must have its

Former Member
0 Kudos

mailForm

Parameters: bUI, cTo, [cCc], [cBcc], [cSubject], [cMsgBody]

Returns: nothing

This method exports the form data and mails the resulting FDF file as an attachment to all recipients,

with or without user interaction depending on the value of bUI.

If it is set to true then the rest of the parameters are used to seed the compose new message window that is displayed to the user.

If bUI is set to false, the cTo parameter is required and all others are optional.

You must use a semicolon u201C;u201D to separate multiple recipients in cTo, cCc, cBcc parameters.

The length limit for cSubject and cMsgBody is 64k bytes.

Example:

/* This will pop up the compose new message window */

this.mailForm(true);

/* This will send out the mail with the attached FDF file to fun1 @ fun . com and fun2 @ fun . com */

this.mailForm(false, "fun1 @ fun . com; fun2 @ fun . com", "", "", "This is the subject", "This is the body of the mail.");

Note:

This is a Windows-only feature. In addition, the client machine must have its

default mail program configured to be MAPI enabled in order to use this method.

I had to change the code:

instead of this.mailDoc :

var myDoc = event.target;

myDoc.mailDoc(false, "fun1 @ fun . com; fun2 @ fun . com", "", "", "This is the subject", "This is the body of the mail." );

But the outlook new message window still opens...

Any Idea's?

Eran

chintan_virani
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well I do not think you can directly send emails from Adobe in offline scenarios and Acrobat Forms and LiveCycle forms are different technologies. Do not mix both.

Chintan