cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP domain controller

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

I am facing follwing scnario and need some advice . Currently we have 3 system in production support path :

DX1 --> QS1 --> PR1 ( Production support path )

Now we are starting to work on a new project that has to get into the same path in due course, for this we are introducing two new boxes :

DX2 --> QS2 ( New project development path )

Plan is to key in the changes made in production support path into u201CNew project development pathu201D on a weekly basis . Once the project is ready for promote the path will be switched to

DX2 --> QS2 --> PR1

Questions :

1) Is to advisable / doable to have all the systems under the same domain controller DX1 , so that /usr/sap/trans directory is shared by all the systems ?

2) Would having two distinct consolidation paths in the same landscape cause any issues ?

DX1 --> QS1 ( Consolidation path for prod support )

DX2 --> QS2 ( Consolidation path for new project )

( Please note that both of these paths will not cross each other and will be maintained physically on a server that hosts DX1 and DX2 SAP SIDu2019s . Thus once the path is switched , the transport directory will still remain )

Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Rohit,

In one transport path, these are the rules:

1- Development system ( source for all transports)

1- Consolidation system ( target for all transports )

Multiple - Delivery systems ( target for all transports)

You can create multiple transport domains and link them with each other using DOMAIN LINKS

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/14/c795388d62e450e10000009b38f889/frameset.htm

Everything depends on what you wish to achieve.

If you wish to transport everything you create in DX1 to DX2 you could do the following:

DX1-QX1-PX1

|

|__

DX2-QX2

This can be achieved by changing the target group for DX1, instead of pointing it to QX1, you can create a target group which includes QX1 and DX2.

So every transport that goes into QX1 will also be included in the buffers of DX2.

Once you are ready to switch the transport domains, simply delete the configuration in DX2, configure it as domain controller and include the QX2 and PX1 in it.

Regards,

Siddhesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

For benefit of the group. I did the switch. All systems are under the same domain controllers and I have two parallel paths with individual consolidation paths. Thanks to everybody who participated in the discussion.

5 systems - 1 domain, 1 transport directory , two unrelated paths.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just for everyone's knowledge

I have worked at a client and we kept our Sollman as a domain controller

We have a 7 system landscape with 5 in prd support and 2 for project each for ECC , BI , SRM etc

We solman being domain controller we have scenario some what like what Rohit has.

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can't have them in the same domain controller (DX1) but you can indeed use the same transport directory as long as its mounted on all systems.

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Juan, out of curiosity Is there any reason why we canu2019t have two distinct consolidations paths under the same domain controller :

DX1 --> QS1 --> PR1 (Production support path)

DX2 --> QS2 (New project development path)

Thanks,

Rohit

JPReyes
Active Contributor
Former Member
0 Kudos

Juan,

Thanks for the guidance. I tried to make sense out of the guide , however I couldnu2019t find a justification that these 5 systems could not be in the same domain controllers . Why do you think that even though they could share /usr/sap/trans and not be part of the same transport domain.

Thanks,

Rohit.