cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mixed SAP kernel versions on application servers

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello.

I'm looking for a Note asserting that mixed versions of the sap kernel on application servers of a single installation are not supported.

E.g. the Central Instance has kernel Version 185 and application server 221 ....

Can anybody help me finding an official source?

Thanks a lot.

Dino

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Why do you need a note?... You must have same kernel across the system, Fact.

Different kernels might have different instructions and you don't want inconsistencies between your CI and DI's

Regards

Juan

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

What is the purpose of a confirmation for such an obvious fact ?

Do you want an official confirmation that you can't run unix executables on a windows server ?

PS : Don't try to dry your cat in the microwave oven ! There is no official OSS note about it !

Regards,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi.

We are not speaking of different platforms: the point is having version 185 of the kernel on one node and version 221 on another node of the same system.

This condition for sure can cause inconsistencies, I'm just looking for an official statement from SAP , although obvious.

Kind regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Hint : Try to recognise humour in some posts !

I had perfectly understood your question and I just wanted to make you unserstand that it is a non sense question.

This is what you have to explain to your customer...

Regards,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Olivier .

I understand your joke. The nonsense is that the customer is asking exactly this mix , upgrade kernel on application servers Linux first , and afterwords on AIX application servers .

There will be a transient period where the system would run with 2 different levels of kernel.

I'm therefore looking for something to support the thesis that this must not be done.

Kind regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all.

I got an answer from SAP. The statement is in Note 409839 - Instance does not start due to inconsistent patch number.

Thanks a lot for your kind support.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

the reason is that my customer asks for it, he wants an official statement that this should not be done.

Kind regards.

Dino