cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAPDB: DR Synchronization Terminated with "Log is from other database"

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Currently, I have SAP Content Server Production 7.3.035 and its DR (Disaster Recovery) system. I'm synchronizing the DR system regularly.

Yesterday, after recovering with long list of LOG Files (more than 60 Log files), it was completed on 1 log file (3 sequence number before the last one) and the database become "Online" status. The recovery status is "Recovery has completed successfully..Database Instance successfully restarted". Normally, I was getting 'Recovery Error" then I can cancel the recovery, afteward can continue rocovery with other Log Files.

Now when I try to continue recover with other files, it is mentioning error "-24988 sql error [backup_restore "LOG_BACKUP" LOG 581]; -8003; message not available, log if from other database".. Off course it is bacause of the Database become online status..

my question,what is causing the Recovery Process executing Database to be Online in certain Log File? is it possible to continue recovery (roll forward) without "re-initialize" the DR from full DB backup of source database?

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Hery

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Currently, I have SAP Content Server Production 7.3.035 and its DR (Disaster Recovery) system. I'm synchronizing the DR system regularly.

You're using a outdated version of SAP DB - you really shouldn't to that!

> Yesterday, after recovering with long list of LOG Files (more than 60 Log files), it was completed on 1 log file (3 sequence number before the last one) and the database become "Online" status. The recovery status is "Recovery has completed successfully..Database Instance successfully restarted". Normally, I was getting 'Recovery Error" then I can cancel the recovery, afteward can continue rocovery with other Log Files.

> Now when I try to continue recover with other files, it is mentioning error "-24988 sql error [backup_restore "LOG_BACKUP" LOG 581]; -8003; message not available, log if from other database".. Off course it is bacause of the Database become online status..

Ok, once the database had been opened it's totally correct that it doesn't accept the logfiles of the primary instance anymore.

> my question,what is causing the Recovery Process executing Database to be Online in certain Log File? is it possible to continue recovery (roll forward) without "re-initialize" the DR from full DB backup of source database?

No, you've to rebuild the second instance.

But this is just "take a full backup with checkpoint" and "recover with initialization" - nothing difficult.

Concerning the reason for the online state - likely the wrong command to interrupt the recovery was used.

Do you have the dbm.prt file?

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lars,

Thanks for your quick response.

Yes, we are suffering with this old SAPDB 7.3 and SAP Content Server 6.3 on Windows 2000... Now, we are preparing the migration and upgrade with latest on 64-bit technology.

The Database size is now around 220 GB.. It took more than 20 hours to perform Full DB Backup.

I'm attaching the files on OSS message.

Thanks and regards,

Hery

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Yes, we are suffering with this old SAPDB 7.3 and SAP Content Server 6.3 on Windows 2000... Now, we are preparing the migration and upgrade with latest on 64-bit technology.

Well as a first step the installation of the current 7.3 patch would be a good idea.

And things would become even easier if you then take another step to upgrade to 7.6 on this server.

> The Database size is now around 220 GB.. It took more than 20 hours to perform Full DB Backup.

This is ridiculous - there is something terribly wrong with the setup of your backup!

We've customer saving TB-sized databases in less than 2 hours.!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Lars,

What is your propose patch level for SAPDB 7.3 ?

The current backup medium is using FILE to Disk .. and it is very old server (old and slow Disk).

Thanks and regards,

Hery

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> What is your propose patch level for SAPDB 7.3 ?

Of course the latest one. Always the latest one !

> The current backup medium is using FILE to Disk .. and it is very old server (old and slow Disk).

You may think about parallel backup media here.

Anyhow, is this disk located in a different server rack/location?

What do you do with the backup once you have it on disk?

How do you move it to the secure location where backups are supposed to be kept?

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Lars,

Will try to use Parallel Media ..

the File is using local Disk ..then regularly backed up to the tape (separate using Legato Backup..manage by other Team) ..

Thanks and regards,

Hery