cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDoc Tunneling - meaning of only "if requested by the serviceu201D

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi all,

for tunnelling, what is the significance of the phrase "only if requested by the serviceu201D in case of value 2?

what is the way to make the service request that tunneling occurs?

almost all the threads attempting to find the meaning of "only if requested by the serviceu201D have ended up with no conclusion...did someone find the real meaning of this?

thanks,

Amol

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member200962
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

When we want to enable IDOC tunneling we maintain a parameter called XML_CONVERSION in SXMB_ADM.

Now when this parameter is set it will affect all the involved scenarios. The basic of IDOC Tunneling says that conversion of IDOC --> IDOC-XML to be avoided to enhance performance.

When XML_CONVERSION = 2 it would mean that (to the XI server) that only when the sender system asks for conversion to IDOC-XML do it, otherwise dont. This indication needs to be given by the sender system.

Now why would any system give such an indication?

Probably not all IDOCs are to be passed without converting to IDOC-XML (this is done to enable mapping in XI/ PI). So when an IDOC needs to be converted to some other format (and it is just not a IDOC_to_IDOC transfer), the sender system will indicate this using some parameter (to be honest I dont know how the sender system will do it).

Regards,

Abhishek.

Former Member
0 Kudos

that is what the question is

how to specify that tunneling should happen? how does the sender system indicate that for a particular message ...technically for a particular type of IDoc the tunneling should take plae?

Rgds,

Amol

former_member187339
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Amol,

Have you seen the note Note 1338670 - IDoc adapter: Parameter XML_CONVERSION

There it is mentioned:

"2" Automatic determination of the optimal value 0/1
(DEFAULT VALUE)
Based on the existing configuration, the inbound IDoc adapter determines whether a pipeline service (for example, routing or mapping) uses XML. If it does, the value 1 is set for the runtime instead of the value 0.

So it is the configuration in XI that determines whether you need to convert IDoc to IDoc-XML of not.

For eg: if you have IDoc to File scenario and you have used Graphical Mapping then the Idoc is converted to IDoc-XML.

But if you have IDocs to IDocs scneario and you dont want to do any mapping (ie source and target are same) then it may not convert Idoc to Idoc xml structure. (but i think there should not be any metadata for the Idoc in IR or IDX2 for this. Never tried so am not 100% confident on this)

Regards

Suraj

Former Member
0 Kudos

hey Suraj,

this is a real good pointer.

so if i understood the note correctly,

1. Ideal case value should be 2 always.

2. Setting the value to 2 still in turn determines value 1 or 0 automatically.

3. if you build a IDoc to IDoc scenario but dont really need anywhere the XML representation ... i guess two cases

3.1. You dont use mapping.... interface mapping is no specified anywhere in interface determination

3.2 Not using condition editor anywhere.... meaning un-conditional receiver / interface determinations...

then tunneling takes place.

so it seems it probably is really transperent and one would only be able to check it based on the content type of the payload.

thanks a lot anyway!!

do let me know in case you experiment anything on this.

former_member187339
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Amol,

The cases mentioned by your is correct.

>>so it seems it probably is really transperent and one would only be able to check it based on the content type of the payload.

I guess we can see the input payload and it should be a flat structure instead of XML-IDOC. Need to try so can't comment till then

>>do let me know in case you experiment anything on this.

Sure as I get some time i will try and hope to update this thread. In the mean time if you get any experimental finding update this thread.

Regards

Suraj