Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tool for preventing role conflicts

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I was wondering if there is a way to define which roles should not go together and to notify a admin when he trys to assign two roles to one user, that there is a conflict.

Example:

Role 1: can enter Good receipts

Role 2: can accept differences between purchase order and good receipts

In case the admin wants to assign both roles to one user, I like to notify him that this is not a good thing to do.

Thanks in advance for your help

Torsten

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

koehntopp
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Torsten,

first of all, you don't want to look at roles, you need to consider the critical combinations of authorization objects and transactions, no matter where they originate.

That quickly gets complex, which is why SAP promotes the BusinessObjects GRC Access Control solution, where Risk Analysis and Remediation (formerly "Compliance Calibrator") is the analysis engine.

The reports Julius mentioned are a bit like that, but they quickly get difficult to manage, and don't talk to the business users well. In the end, what you want is more than just prevent those combinations:

- document the criteria you chose to discover bad authorizations to explain to your external auditors

- a workflow that documents role requests, risks in there and how you dealt with them

- the ability to simulate alternative solutions (what if I take away a role the user already had?)

- document exceptions (we know it's bad, but the user just has to do that sometimnes)

Finally, let me point you to the BPX pages on GRC where you can find white papers and more http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/bpx/grc , and to the BPX GRC forums

Frank.

5 REPLIES 5

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

GRC is the tool that can be used to search which roles are confilcting. Not sure about the message you can generate or not. Using GRC tool, you can find it out whether roles are conficting.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Torsten,

SAP tool built for the checking such conflicts is Compliance Calibrator(Java - RAR). We followed a process where in before assigning role to any userId we use to simulate it in CC and check for any conflicts. If there are any then it should be either mitigated or approved as an exception.

You can also implement below process by customizing SU01, take a help of developer and tell him your requirements. You can set up the workflow. You should also be ready with the rules/SOD conflicts which will be flagged by this customized Tcode.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Also take a look at report RSUSR008_009_NEW and the documentation on it. CHeck the SAP notes on the search patterns to use as well.

Cheers,

Julius

koehntopp
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Torsten,

first of all, you don't want to look at roles, you need to consider the critical combinations of authorization objects and transactions, no matter where they originate.

That quickly gets complex, which is why SAP promotes the BusinessObjects GRC Access Control solution, where Risk Analysis and Remediation (formerly "Compliance Calibrator") is the analysis engine.

The reports Julius mentioned are a bit like that, but they quickly get difficult to manage, and don't talk to the business users well. In the end, what you want is more than just prevent those combinations:

- document the criteria you chose to discover bad authorizations to explain to your external auditors

- a workflow that documents role requests, risks in there and how you dealt with them

- the ability to simulate alternative solutions (what if I take away a role the user already had?)

- document exceptions (we know it's bad, but the user just has to do that sometimnes)

Finally, let me point you to the BPX pages on GRC where you can find white papers and more http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/bpx/grc , and to the BPX GRC forums

Frank.

Former Member
0 Kudos

GRC tools are very effective and best . However, they also cost very much. You can also check in market for some cheaper solutions. Before considering of implementation please check with SAP for the price.

Regards,

Gowrinadh