cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About Mobile solution

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello experts,

We have requirements about Mobile Infrastructure .

1. Our customer want to access Employee Self-service and BI reports(both on Portal now) via Mobile Phone .

Is it possbile ?

If it is possbile , what are works that we need to do ? What the requirement of Client(Mobile Phone) ?

2.As I know ,there are "Occasional Connection " and "Online Connection".

Which can relize our requirement ? What is difference of 2 solution ?

3. Is it possible that users access Portal page via MI ?

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Louis Chen

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Louis,

hope you have solved this issue already - before you thing about solvong this issue by a tool from a partner - as mentioned in last post - you have everything you need already in place!

Portal can render pages for any mobile device as well - as long as you use WebDynpro pages.

The always connected client for MI gives you everything into your hand you need to solve that. Off course you need to do the development to build pages for mobile devices, but this is not that difficult, cause the function modules that deliver the data are already in place. So it should be a straight forward development for you.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Oliver

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Louis/Oliver,

Oliver, you can't navigate inside the Enterprise Portal from a Mobile Device because it is not supported, but you can navigate trough NW Java applications like webdynpro from a mobile device without problem.

Regards,

David Faustini

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

We have the perfect solution for this. We are SAP Premium Partners in Enterprise Mobility. Pls do get in touch with us for your requirement.

- Shankar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Louis,

In your case you need a mobile always-connected scenario (online). For technical reasons you can't navigate inside the portal with your cell phone but you can navigate on a webdynpro for java application outside the portal, the same scenario for BI reports.

Regards,

David Faustini

Former Member
0 Kudos

1. Our customer want to access Employee Self-service and BI reports(both on Portal now) via Mobile Phone .

Is it possbile ? If it is possbile , what are works that we need to do ? What the requirement of Client(Mobile Phone) ?

Are you referring to NW Mobile 7.10/7.11?

You can mobilize any enterprise any data contained in an R/3 backend with it. Your data will have to follow the CrUD semantics ofcourse. In the case of ESS, I guess this must be pretty straight forward. You need BAPI Wrappers which can be used to read and manipulate data in your ESS backend (if you have existing BAPIs, you simply can simply write 'wrappers' for this with the signature required by Mobile 7.1, and 'import' these as data objects.

2.As I know ,there are "Occasional Connection " and "Online Connection".

Which can relize our requirement ? What is difference of 2 solution ?

Depends on the kind of application. For example, I would assume BI reports are typically 'requested for' and then created by the system and displayed on the device. i.e. The actual data is with the backend, and only the 'report' (i.e. analyzed data) is made available on the portal when requested for. This means storing the actual data on the device is of no use. You will typically 'request' for data from your device, (which in the case of Mobile 7.1 will go as a 'Create' for an 'Upload Only' data object to the backend. Lets call this data object 'REPORT_REQUEST'), and the backend will create the report and send it to the device as another data object (lets call this data object a 'REPORT').

This means you'll have to generate reports on the fly and send it to the device when requested for. A persistent connection is obviously more advantageous.

Also, you will want to think about persistence of data. If you want true portal like behavior, this means nothing can be persisted on the device.

3. Is it possible that users access Portal page via MI ?

What is the need for doing this? You should rather be asking: Is it possible for users to access the portal page on a mobile device? The answer is: If the device has a full featured browser that can render Web Dynpro pages, then it should be possible to view the portal in it, just like you would in any other browser

Beware: I know zilch about BI and ESS

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> Hello experts,

>

> We have requirements about Mobile Infrastructure .

> 1. Our customer want to access Employee Self-service and BI reports(both on Portal now) via Mobile Phone .

> Is it possbile ?

> If it is possbile , what are works that we need to do ? What the requirement of Client(Mobile Phone) ?

Occasionally connected solution supports laptop, windows mobile phones.

While always connected solution supports more devices like blackberry and nokia devices.

I would suggest your to check the Product Availability Matrix for this.

[http://service.sap.com/pam|http://service.sap.com/pam]

>

> 2.As I know ,there are "Occasional Connection " and "Online Connection".

> Which can relize our requirement ? What is difference of 2 solution ?

Mobile Webdynpro online is best suited for you for your scenario.

Read [Mobile - Always Connected Clients |http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/nw-userproductivity?rid=/webcontent/uuid/20ffed54-9812-2a10-9fb5-cb973a37ba3b] [original link is broken]; for more information

You can find the difference between Occasional Connection and Online Connection at following location

[http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/nw-userproductivity|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/nw-userproductivity]

Please read Mobile - Occasionally Connected Clients and Mobile - Always Connected Clients links.

>

> 3. Is it possible that users access Portal page via MI ?

>

If i think about your scenario, then you need to write a complete potal application in AWT or JSP which might not be correct.

So i would say Always connected mode is suitable for your scenario.

Thanks & Regards,

Abhijit