cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PI Abap layer for Service Consumption

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

As most of you are aware, we can create consumer proxies in the PI 7.1 ABAP stack for a service that is hosted from PI in the same PI client as the integration server (No separate Application server). We can generate the proxy using the WSDL from the Sender Agreement and once we complete the SOAMANAGER configuration, I can call that method in a ABAP program and the service call works the same way as calling it from a application server system.

Can anyone let me know if this approach is proven and works without any issues. The background to this question is I want to make a report in PI ABAP stack work like a BPM. I would call the services from the report and implement the logic in ABAP.

This seems to be technically possible, but I want to know whether this has any shortcomings when scaled to a production scenario, in terms of performance and server utilization.

Thanks,

Karthik

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

holger_stumm2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

in theory, a ABAP Proxy based service can be reside on any ABAP stack WAS.

And there is no reason, with the proper application sizing, that a PI server cannot handle the request.

But SAP does not recommend any ABAP development on the PI ABAP Stack server. The PI is (from SAP point of view) only for administration and monitoring of the PI environement.

Application based logic should be always in a different ABAP Stack Backend System. (SAP Design recommendation)

Reasons why SAP recommend that:

Release: Your application will be tied to the PI Release and Patch Cycle

Codebase: The PI system has no application data and programs

Sizing: You need to size the application on top of the PI sizing needs

User: Depending on your application logic, you will need extra application user on the PI ABAP stack

Future: In SAP 7.2, by rumours, the dual stack architecture of PI will change (Again, this is an unconfiormed rumour, but it shows, that PI is not a safe place for applications)

But again, from a technical point of view, your approach will work on any ABAP stack, including PI.

cheeers hs

Answers (0)