cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linked Universe

Former Member
0 Kudos

I would like to know about linked universes, in Universe designer how to make link the universes, and basic level info of linked universes. I have search these topics thru google, but it has confusing me. Please guide me any material/article/site available to know about linked universes with full in detail.

Thanks in Advance,

Vijay

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

PPaolo
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello,

the reference documentation is in the Designer guide

Download here:

http://help.sap.com/businessobject/product_guides/boexir31SP2/en/xi31_sp2_designer_en.pdf

Linked Universes are on page 603. Please read the doc and post any questions on the forum if you don't find what you need there.

Best regards

PPaolo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks lot Poulo, i needed more information on linked universe. only they are given basic level of information.. if possible could you please provide me the link or suggestion on this. I struggled lot to find the information on linked universes.

Thanks,

Vijay

PPaolo
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello,

that's all the info I have on hand.

Maybe if you post specific questions on the forum on specific linked Universes functionalities you'll have the answers you need.

Regards

PPaolo

former_member207342
Contributor
0 Kudos

Universe LInking.

Using BO designer you can linke two or more universes. This can reduce development and maintai8nace time.

Details:

Linked Universes share common componenets such as joins, classes, objects.

There are three linking strategies.

Kernel Approach

In this approach, the core universe only has most commoin objects/classes which are then gets inherited in the derived Universe.

Master Approach:

In this approach, Master (core) universe contains all possible required classes and objects which are the hidden from the user based on the user requirement.

Component Approach:

In this approach two universe are merged rather than linked. So chages does not get propagated from one universe to another.

There are some limitation on universe linking, you can find it out from Universe Designer User Guide.

Now you can post your specific questions.

--Kuldeep

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have a similar problem, hope that it can be solved easily.

situation:

I have created a universe based on a cube (A), datasource is SAP BW.

I have created another universe based on acces database.

I have opened cube A universe, all dimensions from cube A are found on the universe pane. When I link the acces database I can see the tables in the designer pane.

My question is, how do I link the cube with the acces database (for example when I need to create an outer join).

James

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi James ,

The basic requiremnet for linking two universe is that both should be having ssame database account i.e both must belong to single database .

You cannot link two Universe from different databases having different acount information .

Regards

Swapnil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Swapni_taz,

thanks for your reply, but I think the solution should be data integrator of data federator, need some more investigation.

kind regards,

James

PPaolo
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello,

to create a multi-source Universe you need Data Federator. It has a specific connector for BW.

You will create a Data Federator target schema (it is a sort of virtual database where you expose tables coming from different sources and other virtual tables you create) then you will connect from Universe Designer to Data Federator and see it as a signle database.

You can also use Data Integrator but with it you will have to ETL your data from the various sources to a new datamart onto which you can create a Universe.

Hope that it helps

PPaolo

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> Hello,

> to create a multi-source Universe you need Data Federator. It has a specific connector for BW.

> PPaolo

If I have two universes based on BW queries (and not one on BW and the other on Access like the mcteam2 's request) can I connect them in some way? In the Universe Designer menu the voice in grayed.

Thank you

Andrea

PPaolo
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello,

you cannot link two Universes which have a different connectivity (and two different infocubes need two different connectivities in the Universe architecture).

Three ways you could merge the data from the two BW sources:

1. Create a multicube in BW to merge the data from the two

2. Create a single Data Federator project merging the data from the two BW sources (you might loose the ability to create a Universe automatically but you will have a merge)

3. Create two Universes, one per BW source then use the Web Intelligence 'Multi-DP synchronization' feature to merge dimensions within the WebI report.

Hope that it helps

Regards

PPaolo

Answers (0)